HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

American Express Rewards Card

Like Tree9Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #16

has the income requirement for gold charge, platinum and platinum reserve gone up?
epigram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #17

Anyone know more details on the complimentary A|Club Gold Membership?

I am not completely clear on the 5 times rewards for Xtraordinary weekends? Does it mean you get 5 points for every $1 spent?
Ming1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #18

just called them to check if i can apply...

they say those who already got the platinum card, cannot apply this one.

means only can apply either one nia.
Saw this on their online application website:

Have you ever been an American Express Card member?*

*This only applies for existing American Express Credit Cards issued by American Express in Singapore (excluding American Express Singapore Airlines Credit Cards). American Express will not issue two credit cards to a person and if you choose to proceed, your existing credit card account will be cancelled. By cancelling your existing credit card account , you understand that:

* Your current balance in your existing account will be transferred to this new card account
* If you wish to transfer your Membership Rewards Points to frequent flyer or frequent guest partners, a S$20 transfer fee will be applicable per transaction.
* Any cashback accrued would be forfeited

Actually, if you do not mind not having the FAR benefits and want to pay lower annual fee, can just apply for this card. Can get 10,000 points by paying $50 annual fee. With 10,000 miles, can redeem for 6,250 KF miles. Quite a good deal for those who are short of couple thousand KF miles.
hclee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #19

Very interesting as it allows cm to choose your fav 5 merchants to generate more points.
Hotline : 67373783
MrsLoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #20

Hidden T&Cs

Hi,

I jus called AMEX today to enquire more abt this card cos i was interested to sign up to get the "FREE" 10k points for my KF account but pls take note:

- Out of 10,000 points, only 8,000 will be credited into yr rewards account and 2,000 will be 'put aside' for card protection scheme (like insurance in case yr card lost etc)

- You have to pay $50 annual fee to get yr '10k' points, and $20 for conversion to KF.

- With 8,000pts (1.6pts = 1 KF), u will get 5,000 KF pts. Sounds familiar to the AMEX KF card? yes it is! and AMEX KF is free 5k KF.

- So unless u feel its worth it to pay $70 for 5,000 KF points, den u shud sign up. Else i see no point, rather u stick w DBS altitude or Citibank PM card.

Sorry this post primarily for those who interested in KF points redemption for this.
jordiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:59 PM   #21

Interesting way of putting this new card in KF miles perspective...

On the other hand, there are lots of ways to earn the points. Such as 2X more points on the first 3 months and additional 5,000 points when total spend crosses $5,000. It is definitely much faster way to earn KF miles on per dollar spend.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #22

i feel citi pm currently offers the best conversion rate for KF miles, so probably sticking with it for mileage accrual purpose.
terriblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #23

Actually, if you spend <$2,500 per month on Citi PM to accumulate miles, Amex KFGold is better in terms of miles accrual.

On the other hand, Amex membership rewards never expire. So I am trying to accumulate 200,000rewards points to redeem a pair of biz class tix to Rome...
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 AM   #24

Amex Select

While one should technically earn more since its $1 = 1 Point, the standard Amex CC does 2 x points per $1.6 spend. Effectively, the standard Amex card does $0.80 per Point lah
For Amex Select Xtraordinary Weekends merchant ,
with Rewards Card, every $1 spend gets 5 points
with Platinum, every $1.6 spend gets 5 points

Rewards card is way better ?

Last edited by sebastgt; 05-07-2010 at 07:15 AM..
sebastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #25
Arch-Supremacy Member

For Amex Select Xtraordinary Weekends merchant ,

Rewards card is way better ?
You forgot there are merchants who can do 10x and if you're reserve / charge, 10 + 10?

Inix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #26

You forgot there are merchants who can do 10x and if you're reserve / charge, 10 + 10?
Does the 10x merchants apply for this rewards card? Didn't see any mention on the link?
Ming1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #27

has the income requirement for gold charge, platinum and platinum reserve gone up?
No prices remain the same as what you are paying now.
Anyone know more details on the complimentary A|Club Gold Membership?
PanPacific is under A|Club. you sleep enough nights you get upgraded to gold.
I am not completely clear on the 5 times rewards for Xtraordinary weekends? Does it mean you get 5 points for every $1 spent?
Yes, 5 points for every S$1, but if you do your maths right you will see that the Blue Card can beat this card anytime.
Interesting way of putting this new card in KF miles perspective...

On the other hand, there are lots of ways to earn the points. Such as 2X more points on the first 3 months and additional 5,000 points when total spend crosses $5,000. It is definitely much faster way to earn KF miles on per dollar spend.
Not when you remove the fluff, you will see that the points accrual is a bit murky. I have done the calculations already. Not such a good card.
Does the 10x merchants apply for this rewards card? Didn't see any mention on the link?
This card does not give 10x and 10+10x MR points. Period!
Old 06-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #28

if i'm looking for mileage accruals and my expenditure consists of mainly f&b and occasional purchases and holidays, would the amex platinum or rewards card be a better choice? or should i just stick with citi pm
terriblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 PM   #29

Hmmm...pay $70 for 5000 miles. Not very attractive.

Besides, the biggest problem with Amex is that so many places don't accept it. When I had the KF Amex, it was quite exasperating and I had to split my spending with a Visa or MC.
starbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 AM   #30

Rewards card is worth getting

"For Amex Select Xtraordinary Weekends merchant ,

Rewards card is way better ?"

OK then,
for your daily needs like groceries at Cold Storage and petrol at SPC ,
the Rewards Card wins hands down, 60% more points than Platinum or the Platinum Reserve.
sebastgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.