best card for overseas spending

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I late by a few days cos DBS delay e fast payment den they die die don't wanna waive the few dollars and it's one freaking mth. Their reply was 'waiver is not automatic' kns I was like wtf.

Well interest for late payment is subjected to bank's approval. And you decide not use the card due to a few dollar's interest?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im going oversea any paying more than 5k for hotel.
what credit card is suitable for me?
miles or rebate also can

Easiest is to use anz optimum (dining and leisure) category and split payment to miltiples of $600 or less. Get effectively 5% in terms of optimum$. Every 50 optimum$ can be redeemed for $50 cashback.

There is also cimb master platinum for 10% rebate but 10% rebate capped at $60 only ($600 spending). And need at least 8x$30 transactions ie need to ask the hotel to swipe 8 times.

runforyourlife

Reaction score
Well interest for late payment is subjected to bank's approval. And you decide not use the card due to a few dollar's interest?

Nope. To me, it was a case of waiving for a loyal customer whom spend frequently on the card so yea :(

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Btw the points on both cards are accumulate and used separately.
oh ya thanks for pointing that out, a pity citibank use seperate points system...

i just redeem all my DBS points and cancel my DBS Live Fresh, they will use up your expiring points first which is good.

Wow high income you have hehe. I can't even apply for the Citibank PM Amex...
dont like that bro. i see your nick everywhere in the miles world. you must be earning $1 and getting lots of shares like Steve Jobs la. :D

If only Aeroplan still here... cash rebate card would be the best liao. Too bad it died last Dec..

w4rdsg

Reaction score
im going oversea any paying more than 5k for hotel.
what credit card is suitable for me?
miles or rebate also can

Are you pre-paying hotel or swiping when there?

If its payment at the hotel and you prefer miles Standard Chartered VI with 3miles/$ is best for that sort of spend followed by UOB PRVI. Unfortunately DBS Altitude AMEX promo is no more. There is a table here.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
dont like that bro. i see your nick everywhere in the miles world. you must be earning $1 and getting lots of shares like Steve Jobs la. :D

If only Aeroplan still here... cash rebate card would be the best liao. Too bad it died last Dec..

Lol I wish! Earn $1 a month/year but shares are worth millions lol....

Yeah Aeroplan was fun while it lasted. :(

johanyu

Reaction score
Are you pre-paying hotel or swiping when there?

If its payment at the hotel and you prefer miles Standard Chartered VI with 3miles/$ is best for that sort of spend followed by UOB PRVI. Unfortunately DBS Altitude AMEX promo is no more. There is a table here.

the calculation in that table do not count the bank commission, I think SCB has highest %

vince123123

Reaction score
I late by a few days cos DBS delay e fast payment den they die die don't wanna waive the few dollars and it's one freaking mth. Their reply was 'waiver is not automatic' kns I was like wtf.

Ild say its reasonable to pay the few dollars interest but to insist that the late payment charge of $50 be waived.

zumaba

Reaction score
I had two transaction at same UK website and both already converted and charged in SGD.

StandChart (Singpost Visa) charged me 0.8% more while ANZ (Optimum MasterCard) had a 2.5% more.

Is this a DCC case? and ANZ shall also just charge 0.8% more, not 2.5%?

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had two transaction at same UK website and both already converted and charged in SGD.

StandChart (Singpost Visa) charged me 0.8% more while ANZ (Optimum MasterCard) had a 2.5% more.

Is this a DCC case? and ANZ shall also just charge 0.8% more, not 2.5%?

Dcc fees for anz is 2.5%. Much higher than any other banks.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bank of China Visa Infinite: Blanket Foreign Transaction Fee Waiver

Bank of China introduced Singapore's first "no nonsense" foreign transaction fee waiver credit card earlier this year (2016), now with details available on its Web site. The BOC Visa Infinite Card waives the typical 1.5+% bank charge for foreign currency transactions, although you'll still pay the Visa network conversion rate (1%, with a conversion first to U.S. dollars if the foreign currency is other than U.S. dollars). Here are the other card benefits:

* 1% rebate on Singapore dollar spending in Singapore
* no minimums and no caps on the foreign transaction fee waiver and local rebate
* extra 1.55% interest (annual rate) on a BOC Multi-Currency Savings Account (which can include Singapore dollars) if you spend $500/month on the card (any combination of foreign and domestic spending)
* two admissions into Plaza Premium lounges per membership year
* usual BOC Singapore restaurant and other merchant card discounts
* usual Visa Infinite benefits (for Singapore issuers)

The card has a fairly hefty $350 annual fee, waived the first year. Income requirements are relatively high to qualify (minimum $120,000/year).

vegavega25

Reaction score
Visa / MasteCard fee

Am I right in understanding that the Visa and MC fees for foreign currency transactions outside of Singapore is the exact same at 1%, across all credit cards? And that no bank has the ability to waive this?

vegavega25

Reaction score
Comparison between Citibank PremierMiles and CIMB Visa Signature/CIMB Platinum MasterCard

On foreign currency transactions outside of Singapore for 'regular' purchases, such as those below S$30, non-travel or hotel categories, I was looking at three cards: Citibank PremierMiles, and the two CIMB cards - Visa Signature and Platinum MasterCard.

This is what I find. I am looking forward to the other members' comments, and especially point out if I am wrong.

- The 1% Visa/MasterCard fee is the same across all 3 cards. So forget about it.
- Neither Citibank nor CIMB have the minimum spend or monthly cap limits.
- Citibank PM will charge 1.5% Foreign Currency Transaction Charge (Administrative Fee) on the SGD amount.
- CIMB will charge 1.4% but will return it the next month, so effective charge is 0.
- Citibank will give 2 PremierMiles per 1 SGD and for cashback at the rate of 1200 PremierMiles for SGD10, the reward percentage is 1.67%. Given the 1.5% fee, the effective reward is 0.17%.
- CIMB will give 0.2% cashback rebate.

So the difference is minimal - and it is 0.03% in favour of CIMB? Yes, or have I missed something?

Last edited:

yiron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
On foreign currency transactions outside of Singapore for 'regular' purchases, such as those below S$30, non-travel or hotel categories, I was looking at three cards: Citibank PremierMiles, and the two CIMB cards - Visa Signature and Platinum MasterCard.

This is what I find. I am looking forward to the other members' comments, and especially point out if I am wrong.

- The 1% Visa/MasterCard fee is the same across all 3 cards. So forget about it.
- Neither Citibank nor CIMB have the minimum spend or monthly cap limits.
- Citibank PM will charge 1.5% Foreign Currency Transaction Charge (Administrative Fee) on the SGD amount.
- CIMB will charge 1.4% but will return it the next month, so effective charge is 0.
- Citibank will give 2 PremierMiles per 1 SGD and for cashback at the rate of 1200 PremierMiles for SGD10, the reward percentage is 1.67%. Given the 1.5% fee, the effective reward is 0.17%.
- CIMB will give 0.2% cashback rebate.

So the difference is minimal - and it is 0.03% in favour of CIMB? Yes, or have I missed something?

Yes, slightly in favour of CIMB, especially considering that the Citi PM cashback can only be redeemed in blocks of 1200 miles.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.