best card for overseas spending

kealla

Reaction score
foreign currency exchange fee is 3.5%, so effectively 0.5% loss if use scb unlimited

wow! really appreciate this tip.
I intended to use this card for my next big ticket purchase in Hong Kong of about $6000.

Seems like better not.

Will check out icbc global travel

Last edited:

machoguy02

Reaction score
so to summarise,

1) Overseas misc. spending: ICBC Global Travel Mastercard gives the best rebate (3%-2.5%)

2) Oversea dining: BOC family card (monthly rebates capped at $100, min monthly spending of $700)

3) CIMB Platinium Mastercard (10% rebate on hotel capped at $60, need 8*$30 transactions)

Any other good cards that I have missed out on?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so to summarise,

1) Overseas misc. spending: ICBC Global Travel Mastercard gives the best rebate (3%-2.5%)

2) Oversea dining: BOC family card (monthly rebates capped at $100, min monthly spending of $700)

3) CIMB Platinium Mastercard (10% rebate on hotel capped at $60, need 8*$30 transactions)

CIMB Visa Signature (10% rebate refund on dining capped at $60, need min 8*min $30 transactions and min $500, get 2% forex fees refund also)

BOC Qoo10 (5% Qmoney rebate for overseas capped at $80, need min $600)

Last edited:

Amosfoong

Reaction score
CIMB Visa Signature (10% rebate refund on dining capped at $60, need min 8*min $30 transactions and min $500, get 2% forex fees refund also)

Posb everyday card 5% overseas spend?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Posb everyday card 5% overseas spend?

need to be first 10000 to register, incur 2.8% forex fees, min $1000 spend and rebate capped at $50. ok if spend $1000 overseas and not too much more than that.

Last edited:

zumaba

Reaction score
need to be first 10000 to register, incur 2.8% forex fees, min $1000 spend and rebate capped at $50. ok if spend $1000 overseas and not too much more than that.

but excluding online.

What is the best card to book online ticket in foreign currency around S$1K?
No UOB & OCBC card.

Flanky

Reaction score

BOC Qoo10 for overseas spend (5%) now no cap till Dec18 right?
i going USA in Aug and intend apply and use this card for expenses during the trip.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
BOC Qoo10 for overseas spend (5%) now no cap till Dec18 right?
Where do you see no cap? It certainly appears to be capped at S$800 of spending per month (in the non-Qoo10 categories, total). I don’t see any December 31, 2018, expiration except for the minimum monthly spending to qualify, which BOC only promises to reconsider then.

On edit: OK, I see the introductory promo. Yes, that’s not too bad. Just bear in mind you’re getting “Qmoney,” which is not at all the same as cash. You can only spend it at Qoo10. Also, you won’t see that Qmoney credited until the third month after spending. Also, online overseas spending doesn’t count. It has to be “card present” overseas spending.

Last edited:

Shwdde

Reaction score
so to summarise,

Thanks Macho!

Hi all,
I'm travel frequently for work to Europe/Japan/USA/China and SEA, but most of my air ticket are prepared by the company.

The above mentioned cards are for cashback, are there any cards for airport lounge access and etc?

I spend sgd 2-4k/trip.

Last edited:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The above mentioned cards are for cashback, is there any cards for airport lounge access and etc?
There are, but you’re probably better off just buying a Priority Pass or Dragon Pass membership at US$359/year straight up (with 10% off coupon that’s easy to find) for unlimited visits (less if you want a lesser number of visits). That’s lower than the annual fee for the Citi Prestige card, for example, and the Citi Prestige is not a spectacular card otherwise. And you can charge that lounge membership fee to a credit card that offers some net points or rebates.

If you want 3 free lounge visits per year (Dragon Pass lounges) with no particular strings attached, CIMB’s Visa Infinite card fits the bill — and with no annual fee for life.

Shwdde

Reaction score
There are, but you’re probably better off just buying a Priority Pass or Dragon Pass membership at US$359/year straight up (with 10% off coupon that’s easy to find) for unlimited visits (less if you want a lesser number of visits). That’s lower than the annual fee for the Citi Prestige card, for example, and the Citi Prestige is not a spectacular card otherwise. And you can charge that lounge membership fee to a credit card that offers some net points or rebates.

If you want 3 free lounge visits per year (Dragon Pass lounges) with no particular strings attached, CIMB’s Visa Infinite card fits the bill — and with no annual fee for life.

Clear and precise! Thanks!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.