Card transaction fees you may not know you are paying

zumaba

Reaction score
So Amex is a better choice for foreign currency transaction given
- Amex exchange rate seems better (?)
- fee for 2.5%, comparing to bank Visa/Master card of at least 3.5% (1%+2.5%) ?

BTW, Where to find Amex exchange date on each day, like those for Visa and
Master?

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dbs increasing the foreign currency transsction fee to 3% starting 2 Jan. Updated 2nd post

https://milelion.com/2018/12/26/dbs-increasing-credit-card-fcy-transaction-fees-from-2-8-to-3-from-2-jan-2019/

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Updated the foreign currency fee for OCBC, going to increase to 3% (from 2.8%), wef 15 Mar

lasnoblur

Master Member
Reaction score
did a 1st time airbnb transaction in SGD.

was charged additional 1% on cc statement compared to airbnb receipt. i spoke to bank CSO. she say is cross border charge.

i cancelled my booking within 48 hrs and supposed to get a full refund. because my friend booked another place. However, refund is much lesser. In total i lost about 90 sgd. CSO mentioned might be currency rate and she will help me to check and waive off.

How can receipt be different from what is charged?!
i even received sms that the amount charged is per receipt. however actual charges is being charged differently.

I will not ever use airbnb again.

Last edited:

yiwei

Reaction score
It seems that forex fees for the BOC Elite Miles card is 2.3% instead of the 3%.

Can I check if the conversion rate is determined by transaction date or posting date?

battledome64

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi I bought online at a website and it already quite in sgd however UOB one charged higher than my invoice. Why is it so

Tiger9119

Reaction score
Hi I bought online at a website and it already quite in sgd however UOB one charged higher than my invoice. Why is it so

There is a 1% fee for SGD processed overseas. This fee is imposed by the credit card company.

Last edited:

bakasa2002

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
spotify has a fcy charge as the company is stockholm based as I was told. Anyway to get around this?

Tiger9119

Reaction score
spotify has a fcy charge as the company is stockholm based as I was told. Anyway to get around this?

If you pay in SGD, the exchange rate will be bad plus 1% fee. Check the exchange rates used by Spotify.

Pay in Swedish Krona(SEK) if there is an option and the Foreign Currency Transaction fee is 2.5 to 3.5%(depending on type of card) but the exchange rate should be better than Dynamic Currency Conversion(DCC) and the rebates or miles you get may be more than enough to cover the fees (depending on the card you use).

jeffrey745

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
did a 1st time airbnb transaction in SGD.

was charged additional 1% on cc statement compared to airbnb receipt. i spoke to bank CSO. she say is cross border charge.

i cancelled my booking within 48 hrs and supposed to get a full refund. because my friend booked another place. However, refund is much lesser. In total i lost about 90 sgd. CSO mentioned might be currency rate and she will help me to check and waive off.

How can receipt be different from what is charged?!
i even received sms that the amount charged is per receipt. however actual charges is being charged differently.

I will not ever use airbnb again.

Recently I also got charged on my debit card statement of $188 when the original airbnb charge was $183... I checked with airbnb they said its some cross border charge by credit card company...

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone has the updated version for below? i know for a fact that, UOB debit card cross border is as high as 2.8%

ICBC still 0%?

This cross border fees is a killer for some transactions, like depositing SGD for a foreign forex broker.

DCC/cross border fees (as of 24 May 2017)

HSBC - 1% (start from 22 May 2017, 0% previously)
ICBC - 0%
OCBC - 1%
BOC - 1% (visa/masters), 0.6% (unionpay) based on TnC, though many feedback this is not charged
Maybank - 1%
UOB - 1% (visa/masters), (0% amex)
SC - 0.8% (visa)/1% (masters)
DBS/POSB - 1% (visa/masters), (0% amex)
CIMB - 1%
Citi - 1.0% (visa)/1.0% (masters) , (0% amex) Note: According to TnC, visa/masters DCC may be charged cross-border fees also.
AMEX - 0%

Note: The above applies to credit cards, the cross border/dcc fees for debit cards is usually higher.

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone has the updated version for below? i know for a fact that, UOB debit card cross border is as high as 2.8%

ICBC still 0%?

This cross border fees is a killer for some transactions, like depositing SGD for a foreign forex broker.

Is fees for depositing SGD for a foreign forex broker even considered cross border fee? More like cash transfer to foreign account

songsongmeow

Reaction score
DCC/cross border fees (as of 24 May 2017)

HSBC - 1% (start from 22 May 2017, 0% previously)
ICBC - 0%
OCBC - 1%
BOC - 1% (visa/masters), 0.6% (unionpay) based on TnC, though many feedback this is not charged
Maybank - 1%
UOB - 1% (visa/masters), (0% amex)
SC - 0.8% (visa)/1% (masters)
DBS/POSB - 1% (visa/masters), (0% amex)
CIMB - 1%
Citi - 1.0% (visa)/1.0% (masters) , (0% amex) Note: According to TnC, visa/masters DCC may be charged cross-border fees also.
AMEX - 0%

Note: The above applies to credit cards, the cross border/dcc fees for debit cards is usually higher.
Any idea if amex is still 0% after all these years? Will be booking Airbnb soon

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.