Citibank PM Or DBS Altitude ? Best for miles?

smeagoly

Reaction score
which amex card gives you miles on renewal? i don't think there's any.

ya DBS Altitude AMEX gives you 10k miles when you pay the annual membership fee, amount you spend on all DBS cards under your name contribute to the total DBS points which you can convert to miles afterwards.

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
in long term view, if you have 9000 DBS points, 4000 will be stuck inside the account. 4000 = 9000 miles.

Citi PM , is more flexible doh

still think which to get

dahnoob

Reaction score
in long term view, if you have 9000 DBS points, 4000 will be stuck inside the account. 4000 = 9000 miles.

Citi PM , is more flexible doh

still think which to get

for altitude you can pool points from dbs wwmc for redemption. for pm i dont think the cso allows pooling of citimiles and citipoints anymore, correct me if im wrong.

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for altitude you can pool points from dbs wwmc for redemption. for pm i dont think the cso allows pooling of citimiles and citipoints anymore, correct me if im wrong.
yep. I don't have 80k annual salary for world. Citi reward still the best. 4miles/$

Using Citi clear for fnb as well.

Now is want altitude or citi Pm?

Do u have more than one miles card? Pay annual fee for miles?

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT

dahnoob

Reaction score
yep. I don't have 80k annual salary for world. Citi reward still the best. 4miles/$

Using Citi clear for fnb as well.

Now is want altitude or citi Pm?

Do u have more than one miles card? Pay annual fee for miles?

dbs 80k pa is not strict. if you have existing dbs/posb cards then any further card is considered a new application, approved almost instantly and mailed to address in 3 days most of the times. wwmc is also more lenient for definitions of online spend.

regardless which citi card you use, the citipoints are still in separate accounts. it depends on the individual cso whether he/she is willing to pool the points together, so ymmv.

regarding fnb, i recommend hsbc advance / uob ppa. the latter can be applied via sms if you have existing uob cards. both gives 4mpd on dining, hsbc advance gives 4mpd on online transactions as well, and their definition is more lenient than citirewards too.

if you only want to get 1 of the 2 cards, i'd recommend the citipm, because you get miles per $1 spend compared to altitude's $1.60. citipm also has more redemption partners, if you're looking for redemption out of sq/cx and their alliance partners.

i hold all variants of miles cards that allow for miles on annual fee, 2 altitude (visa and amex), 2 citipm (visa and amex), anz travel. i pay the fees for 50k miles a year. cheers.

Last edited:

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dbs 80k pa is not strict. if you have existing dbs/posb cards then any further card is considered a new application, approved almost instantly and mailed to address in 3 days most of the times. wwmc is also more lenient for definitions of online spend.

regardless which citi card you use, the citipoints are still in separate accounts. it depends on the individual cso whether he/she is willing to pool the points together, so ymmv.

regarding fnb, i recommend hsbc advance / uob ppa. the latter can be applied via sms if you have existing uob cards. both gives 4mpd on dining, hsbc advance gives 4mpd on online transactions as well, and their definition is more lenient than citirewards too.

if you only want to get 1 of the 2 cards, i'd recommend the citipm, because you get miles per $1 spend compared to altitude's $1.60. citipm also has more redemption partners, if you're looking for redemption out of sq/cx and their alliance partners.

i hold all variants of miles cards that allow for miles on annual fee, 2 altitude (visa and amex), 2 citipm (visa and amex), anz travel. i pay the fees for 50k miles a year. cheers.
How did u get $1.60 /miles figure?

Wow nv think of that. Getting same card but 1 visab1 Amex

I guess u travel alot?

dahnoob

Reaction score
How did u get $1.60 /miles figure?

Wow nv think of that. Getting same card but 1 visab1 Amex

I guess u travel alot?

for altitude you get 3 dbs points (6 miles) per $5 spent. the formula is simply amount spent x 0.6 rounded down to nearest integer.

$1.66 = 1 dbs point = 2 miles
$3.33 = 2 dbs point = 4 miles
$5 = 3 dbs point = 6 miles

citipm awards 1.2miles per $1, rounded down to nearest integer.
$1 = 1 mile
$2 = 2 mile
$5 = 6 mile

at the very least my miles are valid for 4 years, and i can accumulate roughly 200k miles a year from spending+annual fees, i accumulate them for premium cabin travel.

feel free to pm me if you need other help

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for altitude you get 3 dbs points (6 miles) per $5 spent. the formula is simply amount spent x 0.6 rounded down to nearest integer.

$1 = 1 mile
$2 = 2 mile
$5 = 6 mile

at the very least my miles are valid for 4 years, and i can accumulate roughly 200k miles a year from spending+annual fees, i accumulate them for premium cabin travel.

Oh crap. They round down? Damn! Din expext that. They sure know how to calculate.

Now i have rethink my main card

What is your main card to use?

4yrs? U mean your other miles? Cos these 2 card dun expire.

Per 5$ spend mean they award point in turn of $5 block right

Last edited:

elnewbie

Reaction score
You spending more than $150k per year ?

$1 = 1 mile
$2 = 2 mile
$5 = 6 mile

dahnoob

Reaction score
Oh crap. They round down? Damn! Din expext that. They sure know how to calculate.

Now i have rethink my main card

What is your main card to use?

4yrs? U mean your other miles? Cos these 2 card dun expire.

Per 5$ spend mean they award point in turn of $5 block right

i use different cards for different purposes
general spend - uob prvi (altitude if prvi exclusion list apply)
online - dbs wwmc (hsbc advance/uob ppv if exceed 2k a month)
grocery - uob ppv with paywave (this applies to anywhere that accept paywave, not just grocery)
shopping - citi rewards
dining - uob ppa (hsbc advance if amex not accepted)

the miles with the shortest expiry is from dbs wwmc, the dbs points issued from wwmc expires 1 year after issuing date. after i transfer them into krisflyer they expire 3 years later, making for a total of 4 years. altitude/citipm miles never expire, but they were never my primary source of miles. i try to use the above mentioned card for specific purposes, only falling back to a general spending card when all else fails.

i usually redeem tickets way before their expiry date so i've never had problems with expiry dates. also, if you cannot accumulate enough miles to redeem tickets within 4/5 years, you might be better off with a cashback card instead.

regarding the $5 spending block, the calculation i made in the previous post only applies to altitude iirc. points are issued in minimum of one point. since altitude gives 3x dbs points, the minimum spending is therefore $1.67 to be awarded 1 dbs point.

edit: as of now the best card for miles would be citi rewards with samsung pay, giving 4 miles/$ for all transactions till 31 dec 2016. i do not have a samsung phone myself, so i have to make do with whatever cards i have.
You spending more than $150k per year ?

nope, most of my spending are eligible for 4mpd in some way or another. yearly household spending is roughly 60k. with a bit of careful planning, almost all expenditure can be put on a credit card to earn points.

Last edited:

Spk307

Reaction score
nope, most of my spending are eligible for 4mpd in some way or another. yearly household spending is roughly 60k. with a bit of careful planning, almost all expenditure can be put on a credit card to earn points.

cant agree more. careful planning can get 4mpd for almost every expense.

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

wow. must learn from shifu!

500 is stuck to my uob one acc, my parents 50k in uob one acc to earn interest so cannot touch.

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
altitudes promo, $1k spending for 2 mnths to get 8000 miles,i think i have trouble getting it.

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i use different cards for different purposes
general spend - uob prvi (altitude if prvi exclusion list apply)
online - dbs wwmc (hsbc advance/uob ppv if exceed 2k a month)
grocery - uob ppv with paywave (this applies to anywhere that accept paywave, not just grocery)
shopping - citi rewards
dining - uob ppa (hsbc advance if amex not accepted)

the miles with the shortest expiry is from dbs wwmc, the dbs points issued from wwmc expires 1 year after issuing date. after i transfer them into krisflyer they expire 3 years later, making for a total of 4 years. altitude/citipm miles never expire, but they were never my primary source of miles. i try to use the above mentioned card for specific purposes, only falling back to a general spending card when all else fails.

i usually redeem tickets way before their expiry date so i've never had problems with expiry dates. also, if you cannot accumulate enough miles to redeem tickets within 4/5 years, you might be better off with a cashback card instead.

regarding the $5 spending block, the calculation i made in the previous post only applies to altitude iirc. points are issued in minimum of one point. since altitude gives 3x dbs points, the minimum spending is therefore $1.67 to be awarded 1 dbs point.

edit: as of now the best card for miles would be citi rewards with samsung pay, giving 4 miles/$ for all transactions till 31 dec 2016. i do not have a samsung phone myself, so i have to make do with whatever cards i have.

i dont use UOB card except for uob one, may i ask how long does their uni$ last?

Uob Priv salary rerequirement to high for me. what is UOB ppa?

i think redeem every 4-5 yrs is quite optimum. well can always save for retirement usage :D

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.