HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Credit Cards annual fees waiver, how hard or easy?

Like Tree2Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #61
Arch-Supremacy Member

how abt UOB?? ez to waive??
Old 20-04-2012, 03:27 PM   #62
Arch-Supremacy Member

Just to share my experience.

Recently i called Citibank to Waive my Dividend & Clear Card.

the officer told me that clear card nowadays dont offer waiver le, they will send you a $100 Isetan Voucher to make up for the Annual Fee -_-

only after i insisted on cancelling then she got approval to waive (there is at least 6-10 transactions each month for it, since my gf use it at Kino)
goenitz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #63

Yesterday called Citibank hotline.

Me (Act blur): What is the $192 for?

CSO: Let me check

After 30s

CSO: Sir, your card's annual fees are waived...
limpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 05:26 PM   #64

how abt UOB?? ez to waive??
Immediate waived
ccssgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #65

I had an bad experience with standard chartered. It was due for annual fee, I ask for waiver but rejected. So I want to cancel, CSO insisted I pay off the outstanding annual fee plus late charges plus interest because I did not pay out in the last statement date. I insisted I want to cancel and not pay any, the CSO said she would escalate for me.
Then 1 week later received a letter from the bank saying my request for waiver was rejected and I have to pay out additional late and interest because I have passed 2 statement date and still not paid out the annual fee !
Lamwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #66

I received my Manhattan card last year on 10 Feb.
The annual fee is only waived for the 1st year.

Can any "experts" advise when do they usually charge the annual fee? Thank you!
Look at the month that the card was issued. Usually the annual fee comes in that month or a month later every year.
haydentan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 08:27 AM   #67

I had an bad experience with standard chartered. It was due for annual fee, I ask for waiver but rejected. So I want to cancel, CSO insisted I pay off the outstanding annual fee plus late charges plus interest because I did not pay out in the last statement date. I insisted I want to cancel and not pay any, the CSO said she would escalate for me.
Then 1 week later received a letter from the bank saying my request for waiver was rejected and I have to pay out additional late and interest because I have passed 2 statement date and still not paid out the annual fee !
scary,now still like that? my fren shared with me that last time (many years ago) he rejected paying a scb annual fee n ask them to cancel. they cancelled and never chased payment however they update their database and credit bureau that my fren defaulted instead.
heng_alvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #68

I think your card needs to be 0 balance and all related services (like PP) are cancelled then it is easy.

I called them last week to waive VI annual fees ($300 + 7% GST) and they did it immediately and I only used it like once a month for small amount.
limpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:58 AM   #69

OK my reply is very very late but to lamwm actually you could have waived your annual fee one even after they reject you. I actually done it b4 (just got my citibank ready credit annual fee waived yday. )

My case is the same as yours. Called in to waive the fee, but the person rejected me (for whatever bull**** reason I cannot remember). The person told me that they will not waive because its their companies' policy not to waive starting from this year. I said ok stupidly.

Later i felt something was amiss so i went to the physical branch to submit an application to waive the charge. The first and second request one were both rejected.

Now here comes the most impt thing about annual fee cancellation: NEVER SAY YES OR OK IF THEY REJECT YOUR REQUEST TO WAIVER.
When you say yes, in fact you are actually accepting their "offer" to you to not waive, even though the way they tell you is like forcing you to accept it and makes you feel like you do not have a choice.

Say "I do not accept, or I refuse" and then call back again later. You must be polite but firm. The thing is that all these call operators do not behave the same way for every case. Sure most of the time they will waive but maybe that day they have bad mood or lazy to waive for you. So they will reject your request. Your best solution? Call in other time, and find another operator. Keep doing that until your request succeeds.

Oh, and by saying you accept, they will record on the phone and they will record on the computer. This is what i know because the staff at the physical bank branch told me that i accepted an offer from them not to waive (even though nothing was offered to me).

IF you make a mistake and said "yes i accept or yes i understand" things get difficult, but not impossible. The next thing you can do is, call in to complain. Complain about not having the annual fee waiver done, just keep trying. Be pissed, but still polite. Say with it firmness and authority, but don't be rude. And of course, you can add something like "This is ridicuolous" at the end. It took me like 3 tries to finally do it. (i only complained once, did request twice)

Oh yeah, i complained in the morning, and at night i got waived. =)

hope this helps.
Draculav likes this.
hongchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 AM   #70
Supremacy Member

Look at the month that the card was issued. Usually the annual fee comes in that month or a month later every year.
so can we like request for the waiver a month before the 1 yr term is up or must zhun zhun the exact 1 year?
IceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #71

OK my reply is very very late but to lamwm actually you could have waived your annual fee one even after they reject you. I actually done it b4 (just got my citibank ready credit annual fee waived yday. )

My case is the same as yours. Called in to waive the fee, but the person rejected me (for whatever bull**** reason I cannot remember). The person told me that they will not waive because its their companies' policy not to waive starting from this year. I said ok stupidly.

Later i felt something was amiss so i went to the physical branch to submit an application to waive the charge. The first and second request one were both rejected.

Now here comes the most impt thing about annual fee cancellation: NEVER SAY YES OR OK IF THEY REJECT YOUR REQUEST TO WAIVER.
When you say yes, in fact you are actually accepting their "offer" to you to not waive, even though the way they tell you is like forcing you to accept it and makes you feel like you do not have a choice.

Say "I do not accept, or I refuse" and then call back again later. You must be polite but firm. The thing is that all these call operators do not behave the same way for every case. Sure most of the time they will waive but maybe that day they have bad mood or lazy to waive for you. So they will reject your request. Your best solution? Call in other time, and find another operator. Keep doing that until your request succeeds.

Oh, and by saying you accept, they will record on the phone and they will record on the computer. This is what i know because the staff at the physical bank branch told me that i accepted an offer from them not to waive (even though nothing was offered to me).

IF you make a mistake and said "yes i accept or yes i understand" things get difficult, but not impossible. The next thing you can do is, call in to complain. Complain about not having the annual fee waiver done, just keep trying. Be pissed, but still polite. Say with it firmness and authority, but don't be rude. And of course, you can add something like "This is ridicuolous" at the end. It took me like 3 tries to finally do it. (i only complained once, did request twice)

Oh yeah, i complained in the morning, and at night i got waived. =)

hope this helps.

which card are you using?
i going to call and waive off my Clear card... not sure will it be successful, if not i will just cancel it...
Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #72

so can we like request for the waiver a month before the 1 yr term is up or must zhun zhun the exact 1 year?
Not likely. They might not have the system to log it. Also, if it is possible, we may just call them to waive it off permanently in advance without having to call to waive off the annual fee.
haydentan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 PM   #73

Have requested for dbs, uob, citibank and scb previously.
Nvr rejected before.

However even if they reject, im okay as there are many cc around.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #74
Supremacy Member

Not likely. They might not have the system to log it. Also, if it is possible, we may just call them to waive it off permanently in advance without having to call to waive off the annual fee.

so must zhun zhun 1 year then call up to request for waiver? like that sian leh wait I incurred the annual fee once my one year term is up
IceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:17 PM   #75

I have Standard Chartered Bank credit cards. They just charged me $200 annual fee + $14 tax on one of the card. I tried to use their automated credit card waiver system, and rejected. I called the CSO, then she asked me to wait for SMS confirmation. 2 Working days later, an SMS confirmed that my request is rejected again.
I called CSO again, and ask for the reason. She said, it's up to the bank and they cant tell me any reason/explanation.
Finally I decided to pay and terminate all my SCB card permanently. I am afraid if I dont pay, they may write bad record with the credit buerau, which may make my next credit application to be a lot harder.

I owned the card for more than 4 years, and already sucesfully waived 2 times before. But this time no waiver, and no EXPLANATION/REASON.

Anybody else have the same experience with SCB or other banks?, and I hope everybody else can learn from this experince.
yss105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.