How to avoid Dynamic Currency Conversion scam?

• Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) on the next steps you can take. More info

zoossh

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. Silly me. Obviously don't know what I am talking about. I must be the only idiot in this forum to have faced this issue because I cannot communicate with the dumb cashier in Chinese.

ignore the unnecessary part of redglue's rudeness, but u got to reckon that he did give the correct advices that will benefit a lot of people.

u r saying that u got a receipt that they claimed had no dcc but had sgd printed for info, and in the end really got dcc? well, u had learnt your lesson once. next time.

1. avoid that shop and tell everyone that shop is not honest
2. avoid going china. tons of better places around.
3. if go china and see such thing again, refuse to take it.
4. if they still insist must had sgd printed, either pay in cash
5. or refuse to buy. walk off without the products.
6. dun have to create a scene

or maybe even before they start typing anything into their machine, warn them that u will not accept any receipt that says sgd or any non local currency on it. if not u will not buy

and no it is not true that if a PRC did that in sg, he will be a lynched, there will only be a group of his countryman defending him online while nothing will happen on the ground.

Last edited:

lainm07

Reaction score

sgdividends

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread I insisted I get charged in Aud when the cashier charged me in SGD automatically and said i would preder to see SGD...

Anyway, how do I know from the receipt ?

Will the letters DCC or dynamic currency conversion be printed on the receipt ?

Or as long as the receipt has the local currency (Aud in my case)then it means no DCC is used?

purpletoysmum

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread I insisted I get charged in Aud when the cashier charged me in SGD automatically and said i would preder to see SGD...

Anyway, how do I know from the receipt ?

Will the letters DCC or dynamic currency conversion be printed on the receipt ?

Or as long as the receipt has the local currency (Aud in my case)then it means no DCC is used?

If you see any SGD amount on the receipt, you are likely to have had DCC applied.

Zaalaa

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just booked my flight via expedia.com.sg, was charge DCC by DBS Altitude. its 0.8% visa.

Gian the 6miles/$ :(

urban_closet

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Very good thread. Reminds me again which credit cards to bring along for my year end trip.

AMEX with backup MC

vince123123

Reaction score
I was trying to find a thread to post about DCC and had to necro this as it was the most relevant one around.

Strangely, I was in KL and used the UOB Visa Signature card and told the cashier that I wanted to be charged in RM. The cashier went through the motions on the POS but I wasn't paying attention and the DCC charge slip came out. I said that I wanted RM again and she said there was no buttons she could press to make it RM and the signing slip came out in SGD. Seems like a case of automatic DCC.

I asked her to void the transaction and used the FEVO card this time. Strangely, this time the charge went through as RM. This time I watched the POS closely and as she said, there was no option to select. Strange that different cards are treated differently on the same POS.

A second situation arose where I had used Samsung Pay - CitiRewards. DCC slip came out. I ticked RM and signed on that - there was no second signing slip. Samsung Pay recorded the transaction in SGD. SMS sent by Citibank also recorded in SGD. But when the transaction finally posted, it was in RM. Weirdness.

lcpteck

Master Member
Reaction score
I was trying to find a thread to post about DCC and had to necro this as it was the most relevant one around.

Strangely, I was in KL and used the UOB Visa Signature card and told the cashier that I wanted to be charged in RM. The cashier went through the motions on the POS but I wasn't paying attention and the DCC charge slip came out. I said that I wanted RM again and she said there was no buttons she could press to make it RM and the signing slip came out in SGD. Seems like a case of automatic DCC.

I asked her to void the transaction and used the FEVO card this time. Strangely, this time the charge went through as RM. This time I watched the POS closely and as she said, there was no option to select. Strange that different cards are treated differently on the same POS.

A second situation arose where I had used Samsung Pay - CitiRewards. DCC slip came out. I ticked RM and signed on that - there was no second signing slip. Samsung Pay recorded the transaction in SGD. SMS sent by Citibank also recorded in SGD. But when the transaction finally posted, it was in RM. Weirdness.

Yeah it's very weird...

vince123123

Reaction score
For those interested, there is a recent High Court decision regarding patent infringement concerning automatic DCC. The judgement does contain a writeup on what DCC is all about and how it works in the Singapore context as well as who and how monies are earned.

kitkat2

Reaction score

i had the similar experience when using my fevo card in isetan kl. dcc straight away without asking customer. cashier claimed it's a bug and will be charged in local currency.

later i shopped at the supermarket and when queueing to pay, i saw the customer in front of me used paywave. so i also asked to use contactless and the slip came out in local currency.

i think some unscrupulous merchants there are trying to rip off unsuspecting foreigners. beware when shopping in malaysia with your singapore cards!

D1UJd82.jpg

Last edited:

vince123123

Reaction score
Problem is that not many places accept Paywave in KL. Had to resort to using Samsung Pay MST quite a number of times and even then, faced significant resistance from cashiers. The more open ones are willing to try (some worked some did not) but I encountered a few who looked at me as if I came from mars holding a sign "fraudster here" or something and refused to even try.

i had the similar experience when using my fevo card in isetan kl. dcc straight away without asking customer. cashier claimed it's a bug and will be charged in local currency.

later i shopped at the supermarket and when queueing to pay, i saw the customer in front of me used paywave. so i also asked to use contactless and the slip came out in local currency.

i think some unscrupulous merchants there are trying to rip off unsuspecting foreigners. beware when shopping in malaysia with your singapore cards!

D1UJd82.jpg

sgdividends

Reaction score
For those interested, there is a recent High Court decision regarding patent infringement concerning automatic DCC. The judgement does contain a writeup on what DCC is all about and how it works in the Singapore context as well as who and how monies are earned.

It seems that the merchants have no benefit in making the customer pay using DCC since the profit is either earned by the issuer bank or the acquirer bank from this court document

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I had this problem when Hilton charged me in SGD on my MC. I checked with the hotel and they claimed it was keyed in HKD. But it shows up as SGD in my bill, with a fairly ridiculous exchange rate.

vince123123

Reaction score
I think what happens is that the merchant acquirer bank gives an incentive to the merchants when they use DCC.

It seems that the merchants have no benefit in making the customer pay using DCC since the profit is either earned by the issuer bank or the acquirer bank from this court document

vince123123

Reaction score
Did the credit card slip say SGD or HKD?

I had this problem when Hilton charged me in SGD on my MC. I checked with the hotel and they claimed it was keyed in HKD. But it shows up as SGD in my bill, with a fairly ridiculous exchange rate.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.