HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

OCBC Credit Cards Annual Fee waiver (Ridiculous)

Like Tree82Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #61

Emailing to OCBC was a breeze. All that was needed was patience. Be good to others as you would like to be. No need to throw tantrums, no need to feel frustrated.

7 days after requesting for fee waivers via secured email, an SMS came in.
"We have reviewed your request carefully. Sorry, but we are unable to waive the annual fee as you did not meet the minimum spending requirement. Do make payment by the due date to avoid incurring further charges..."

7 days after requesting for card cancellations via secured email, an email came in, informing, amongst other things, that card cancellation takes 7 days; annual fees will be credited to the card account; a termination letter will be sent to billing address; and best of all, it asked if the credit balance should be transferred to an OCBC Account.

A very impressive coup de grace service by OCBC, far different from those experienced here.
U may be right, patience is required. But most bank dont require 7 days to answer your question.

Besides u mentioned, 7 days to wait for results for fee waiver and 7 days to terminate ur card. In total it is 14 days to get everything done.
jtanps, BlessRK, jentang and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ORELLE; 21-09-2016 at 12:42 PM..
ORELLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #62

U may be right, patience is required. But most bank dont require 7 days to answer your question.

Besides u mentioned, 7 days to wait for results for fee waiver and 7 days to terminate ur card. In total it is 14 days to get everything done.
Will be good to cancel the cards earlier if you don't use them.
Jazzbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #63

Hi BlessRK,

We are sorry to learn about your decision to terminate your accounts with OCBC, but we respect it.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

Should you wish for us to review your waiver, do drop us a PM.

^DG

Hi OCBC,

Would it be more effective appealing waivers through this forum?

From reading the many replies it here, it seems OCBC customer service is ineffective and under the mercy of the approval team. Every waiver request or appeals ended only in rejection.

Could you please provide feedback to your management - That the minimum amount is unreasonably high, and that wavier request is just too strict. It turns ppl away from ocbc, especially amidst cutthroat competition
laughmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #64

I cancel my UOB card and Amex within less than 20 minutes on phone
rainbow123 likes this.
laurent_rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #65
Master Member

14 days is long but it did not matter as long as it was settled by 30 Sep.
Logging into OCBC Internetbanking every other day, it took 2 emails in less than 1min to settle it. This was better than to call and wait 30 minutes.

Got to add that the secured email did suggest cutting up the FRANK Credit card.
In my opinion, cutting up this card is not a good idea if the Flashpay still has a credit.
edwinttt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 10:52 PM   #66

If no bank statement was ever sent, it may not be easy to impose late fees on something that was never notified to the customer.

Also, late payment fees (which are not the same as late interest fees) may not be legally enforceable as they could be considered as penalty clauses. I usually ask the bank officer to refer to their legal advisers as they may not know the correct position. Alternatively, you can offer to pay the late interest and ask for a waiver of the late charges.

Did you do your appeal by phone or in writing?
I did my appeals by phone.
SpringCleaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 11:00 PM   #67

DBS is simply first class when it comes to fee waivers. Amazingly, no other banks come close.
Indeed. I am guessing they had analyzed that statistically, most of the calls are for fee waivers so by adopting an automated fee waiving system, there will be less people to jam up the lines and the CSOs' time will be better spent to service important matters; which in turn increases customers' satisfaction (note: I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes to reach a DBS CSO). Even though the trade off is they will earn less revenue from fees and penalties, on the hindsight, customers will be happy that they don't have to waste 30 minutes just to talk to someone and may remain loyal. It is a cutthroat industry and they know that keeping customers is more crucial than short term gain.
jtanps likes this.

Last edited by SpringCleaner; 21-09-2016 at 11:02 PM..
Old 22-09-2016, 01:01 AM   #68

My suggestion is to do it in writing, at least from my own experiences with other banks.

I did my appeals by phone.
vince123123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #69

My suggestion is to do it in writing, at least from my own experiences with other banks.
I shall give it a try then.
Old 22-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #70
Arch-Supremacy Member

signed up for frank during lifetime waiver period, now they just billed me $80 charge?!
StanII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #71
Featured Sponsor for Money Mind, EDMW

Hi OCBC,

Would it be more effective appealing waivers through this forum?

From reading the many replies it here, it seems OCBC customer service is ineffective and under the mercy of the approval team. Every waiver request or appeals ended only in rejection.

Could you please provide feedback to your management - That the minimum amount is unreasonably high, and that wavier request is just too strict. It turns ppl away from ocbc, especially amidst cutthroat competition
Hi there,

We won't be able to take in waiver requests via our social media platforms. What we can do is to forward customers' feedback, and arrange for our service executives to call and assist with the appeal.

All appeals whether arranged by us, or by customers calling our hotline are subject to the bank's review and approval.

Thank you for your feedback. We will be sure to share this with the relevant department.

^DG

OCBC Bank: Follow us on Twitter | Like us on Facebook
OCBC Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #72

call ocbc hotline like more than 4 times .
Always high call volume .

the last call went thru after waiting for more than 45 min .
First few ocassion waited more than 15min and give up waiting.

Give up the card eventually since cannot waived .
jtanps likes this.
rainbow123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #73

There was once I called at midnight and high call volume until call got automatically cut off. No option to continue holding, I think after almost 1 hour but their CSO was quite fast to call back the next morning.

Since it's almost impossible to get waiver if nv hit minimum spent, I already got my hb to request to cancel frank card via the ibanking messaging mths before annual fee will be charged. No point wasting time calling them when they start charging us. And furthermore, the card is practically useless to us.

call ocbc hotline like more than 4 times .
Always high call volume .

the last call went thru after waiting for more than 45 min .
First few ocassion waited more than 15min and give up waiting.

Give up the card eventually since cannot waived .
jentang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #74
Master Member

Agree. Requests in writing save calling time and get things done.
edwinttt1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #75

Duno HSBC can get waiver for annual fee $192, waiting for sms.

i heard if bank die die must pay, can get back the refund based on pro rated annual fee.
nick3384me is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.