QUESTION ABOUT CITIBANK PREMIERMILES CARD

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
I applied for the credit card (online with MyInfo) and got instantly rejected, no reason whatsoever. My salary is more than $30k. I got AA (2000) CBS rating with only "Credit Exposure" risk (that is because I still have a $500 student card and I'm utilising it to around $400-ish every month, basically, lumping all expenses there). But I've been paying my card properly, so I don't see how this is a very big factor.

How long have you been out of uni? Maybe MyInfo does not have enough CPF info about you yet.

bluetwinkle

Reaction score
But in that case, Citibank would have asked and not just auto reject? The system doesn't even allow me to upload offer letter.

Two reasons that can possibly lead to rejection for those who are pretty fresh out of school:

1. More than $30k is only achieved after adding in variable bonus which have not been paid to you.
=> It is a MAS requirement to meet the min $30k per annum income. If you are really keen on the card, you may ask how you can provide more information to prove your income.

2. Banks could be managing their risks on new credit card customers who has worked for less than X period of time. => Just move on to the next bank who will accept you as a customer.

hclee01

Master Member
Reaction score
I received this offer via SMS for my Citi PM Visa Card to earn additional 10,000 miles for spending S$3K in foreign currencies from 1 Jun to 31 Jul 2019. Looks like this is a targeted campaign:

http://citibank.com.sg/F03P

main-image8.jpg

SkatyBoy

Reaction score
Two reasons that can possibly lead to rejection for those who are pretty fresh out of school:

1. More than $30k is only achieved after adding in variable bonus which have not been paid to you.
=> It is a MAS requirement to meet the min $30k per annum income. If you are really keen on the card, you may ask how you can provide more information to prove your income.

2. Banks could be managing their risks on new credit card customers who has worked for less than X period of time. => Just move on to the next bank who will accept you as a customer.

1. Hmm, my base pay exceeds $30k by quite a bit leh and I have half a year's worth of CPF contributions.

2. Well, CIMB rejected me 2 months earlier, so I don't know if it's something wrong with my CBS report or just them "managing risk" also.

bencheongcm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. Hmm, my base pay exceeds $30k by quite a bit leh and I have half a year's worth of CPF contributions.

2. Well, CIMB rejected me 2 months earlier, so I don't know if it's something wrong with my CBS report or just them "managing risk" also.
You already said it yourself. Does not matter even if your base is 60K. They will look at it as a risk. Factor in the fact that what if one actually quit the job or got fired 6-8 months later? Either you wait for 1 full year or try whatever the other bros here recomend you to.

bluetwinkle

Reaction score

With application of some cards, you may be able to get a copy of the CBS report. You can try getting a copy to see what could be wrong first.

Alternatively, try getting your first credit card from the bank where your salary is being credited into. The bank will have more details of your financial status and may deem you less risky.

kashanai

Reaction score
My very first card was UOB when I first started

SkatyBoy

Reaction score
You already said it yourself. Does not matter even if your base is 60K. They will look at it as a risk. Factor in the fact that what if one actually quit the job or got fired 6-8 months later? Either you wait for 1 full year or try whatever the other bros here recomend you to.

But my friend applied for this same credit card as her second (the other one is a student Live Fresh card), with just 3 months of CPF and got approved (her salary about the same as mine by the way). It's weird because I do have a data point (that is my friend's application). I'm not rejecting people's suggestions, but when people can apply with just 3 months of CPF pulled from MyInfo, it kinda means that it's specifically something wrong with my credit profile (which I don't see anything wrong). Also, that previous rejection by CIMB reinforces my suspicions.

With application of some cards, you may be able to get a copy of the CBS report. You can try getting a copy to see what could be wrong first.

Alternatively, try getting your first credit card from the bank where your salary is being credited into. The bank will have more details of your financial status and may deem you less risky.

I did. I have AA Rating with 2000 score. Nothing to note other than these "risks", which CBS claims to "affect the Rating" (which is AA, so I'm confused):

1. "Credit Exposure" - Maybe got 3 $500 cards means bad? But if I close one, someone say that I lose the "history". But if I don't close I get marked as "too credit hungry". So it's a stupid dilemma. Nonetheless, I closed one just in case.
2. "Immature History" - My first card was in 2012 and it hasn't been closed?

I can try DBS, but the CSO keep saying I must close my $500 credit card, which has "token" spending (like $10 a month). They say if not, they cannot adjust credit limit for unsecured credit on their end. But if I close, wouldn't I lose the credit history and make my history even more "immature"?

Anyways, this is irrelevant to the thread.

Last edited:

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
But my friend applied for this same credit card as her second (the other one is a student Live Fresh card), with just 3 months of CPF and got approved (her salary about the same as mine by the way). It's weird because I do have a data point (that is my friend's application). I'm not rejecting people's suggestions, but when people can apply with just 3 months of CPF pulled from MyInfo, it kinda means that it's specifically something wrong with my credit profile (which I don't see anything wrong). Also, that previous rejection by CIMB reinforces my suspicions.

I did. I have AA Rating with 2000 score. Nothing to note other than these "risks", which CBS claims to "affect the Rating" (which is AA, so I'm confused):

1. "Credit Exposure" - Maybe got 3 $500 cards means bad? But if I close one, someone say that I lose the "history". But if I don't close I get marked as "too credit hungry". So it's a stupid dilemma. Nonetheless, I closed one just in case.

I can try DBS, but the CSO keep saying I must close my $500 credit card, which has "token" spending (like $10 a month). They say if not, they cannot adjust credit limit for unsecured credit on their end. But if I close, wouldn't I lose the credit history and make my history even more "immature"?

You had bad luck. Move on loh.

SkatyBoy

Reaction score
You had bad luck. Move on loh.

I am lol. Just that I wanted to share the experience of getting rejected instantly. Also, I'm trying to make sure I don't get rejected by every bank I applied to (which means I'm super unlucky?).

xiaowhois

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try apply different bank lo maintain few mths clean record bo owe money than try apply again

fr33d0m

Master Member
Reaction score
I am lol. Just that I wanted to share the experience of getting rejected instantly. Also, I'm trying to make sure I don't get rejected by every bank I applied to (which means I'm super unlucky?).

I am not joking. Your luck may have more weight than you think.

bluetwinkle

Reaction score

It seems like DBS is willing to issue you a credit card on the condition that you close your $500 credit limit card. If you have no use for it once you get your credit card, why not just close it?

Perceived stability of job industry could be a factor too.

kiawui

Reaction score
Citibank quite fast with their approval. Applied on 21st June, 24th approved.

Sent from HUAWEI VOG-L29 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.