HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTIONS!!! Posting for awareness!

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #1

Exclamation SUSPICIOUS TRANSACTIONS!!! Posting for awareness!

I got a call from Citibank about 30 mins ago, verifying if I did a transaction of 4 pounds on Thursday (3 days ago) on my credit card. I told the person to call me back in 10 minutes while I go check, and sure enough, there was such a transaction - and I didn't do it!!!

Here's posting what I saw on my account transaction:

I immediately went to google the transaction details, and right on the very first google result, are forum posts on "suspicious transaction".

Searching any of the terms below will also yield the same google search results suggesting suspicious transactions. The initial amount tends to be small, to "test water".

WP-SCOACH
WP-SCOACH ETICKET
WP-SCOACH ETICKET STOCKPORT

Anyway, I called immediately to report on this to have the card blocked. The initial Citibank officer also called me back quickly. Kudos to Citibank on protecting their customers!! (well, small deal here, but they could have protected me from losing lots of money!)

I've also adjusted my CitiAlerts to alert me of ALL transactions (previously was $50 and above to alert me). Hope you guys do this too! Especially for those who travel!

I'm not sure if there are any threads consolidating suspicious credit card activities, but feel free to add on (choy! hopefully no one ever gets such experiences!) here, or sticky this, etc...
felali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:50 PM   #2

Heh I dun mean to "promote" any bank or anything... But now because of this, I'm going to use my Citibank CC for shops (especially overseas) or online stores (heh don't get any funny ideas) that I need to be cautious about. Safe and reputed places like supermarkets, paypal, amazon, etc I'll continue to use my regular cards for good cash rebates... Heh.

- UOB doesn't seem to have any transaction sms alerts, other than "High Amounts"
- POSB/DBS doesn't seem to have transaction sms alerts too...
- I know Standard Charted has transaction sms alerts - my GF is using it
- HSBC, not sure - haven't tried the online account statements before
- OCBC doesn't seem to have sms alerts for transactions too...

Am I correct, or is it that I simply didn't navigate to the correct page to adjust my alerts?

Really need to make alerts for any amounts above $0.01... These small transactions are the ones they "test water"... before going in for the kill... Heh
felali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:44 PM   #3
d3n
Arch-Supremacy Member

Looking at the statement narrative, this transaction is made via WorldPay payment gateway.

You can try call WorldPay customer service to do a check which merchant this payment is being paid to. This payment looks like a coach ticket.
Old 13-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #4

bro thanks for bringing up...at least now i will be more on guard.

This is from the other forums:

"This is a warning to all...

This morning I logged in to my internet banking to see if a cheque I had paid in had cleared. While I was at it, I noticed a transaction for £1.50 which I did not remember making. The name of the transaction was "WP-STAGECOACH-SERV". THis struck me as odd, as I would never normally use my debit card for such a small transaction and I didn't recognise the name.

A bit of Google research turned up the following: this kind of transaction occurs when your credit card details have been "skimmed" and the perpetrators will try and put through a small transaction to "test the water". If the transaction succeeds, a few days later they will clean you out. People have lost as much as £16,000 in this way. "
battledome64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 11:07 AM   #5

bro thanks for bringing up...at least now i will be more on guard.

This is from the other forums:

"This is a warning to all...

This morning I logged in to my internet banking to see if a cheque I had paid in had cleared. While I was at it, I noticed a transaction for £1.50 which I did not remember making. The name of the transaction was "WP-STAGECOACH-SERV". THis struck me as odd, as I would never normally use my debit card for such a small transaction and I didn't recognise the name.

A bit of Google research turned up the following: this kind of transaction occurs when your credit card details have been "skimmed" and the perpetrators will try and put through a small transaction to "test the water". If the transaction succeeds, a few days later they will clean you out. People have lost as much as £16,000 in this way. "
It's quite fascinating how this can work. We just have to be more careful when checking our statements. And I'm not sure how the banks respond to these. Do they refund? Do they check for these suspicious transactions since it is so prevalent?
dlocenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #6
Arch-Supremacy Member

i have very good experience with citibank

there was once that a merchant overcharged me several times, they are pretty prompt in assisting and in fact more keen than me lol
keep bugging me to request the documents from merchant, etc.

the officer then advised me to cancel my card and she said a new card will be sent to me soon

since its a saturday, i assumed soon = 1 week or 2

the same sat evening, my mum called and told me a courier sent me a letter. since i didnt make any online purchases, i was quite curious.

when i got home and opened the letter, its the new card.
the card was delivered within 8hrs but the refund took about 2 wks tho
mainly becoz the merchant kinda screwedup rather than the bank
Old 13-09-2010, 08:57 PM   #7

It's quite fascinating how this can work. We just have to be more careful when checking our statements. And I'm not sure how the banks respond to these. Do they refund? Do they check for these suspicious transactions since it is so prevalent?
depends how fast u notify. after maybe 7 days its treated as valid transaction. I am using a practical example, there are millions of banking customers but hundreds of staff..do u expect to be looked after? =p
battledome64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #8

depends how fast u notify. after maybe 7 days its treated as valid transaction. I am using a practical example, there are millions of banking customers but hundreds of staff..do u expect to be looked after? =p
I was referring to the WP-STAGECOACH-SERV type of transaction. If you're familiar with systems, they can put in a check and let the machine handle. You don't need hundreds of staff to do this.
Old 13-09-2010, 11:27 PM   #9
Master Member

citibank is good
even for 800 dollar txn.. they would call me to verify

other banks.. dont bother
Old 14-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #10

I got a call from Citibank about 30 mins ago, verifying if I did a transaction of 4 pounds on Thursday (3 days ago) on my credit card. I told the person to call me back in 10 minutes while I go check, and sure enough, there was such a transaction - and I didn't do it!!!

Here's posting what I saw on my account transaction:

I immediately went to google the transaction details, and right on the very first google result, are forum posts on "suspicious transaction".

Searching any of the terms below will also yield the same google search results suggesting suspicious transactions. The initial amount tends to be small, to "test water".

WP-SCOACH
WP-SCOACH ETICKET
WP-SCOACH ETICKET STOCKPORT

Anyway, I called immediately to report on this to have the card blocked. The initial Citibank officer also called me back quickly. Kudos to Citibank on protecting their customers!! (well, small deal here, but they could have protected me from losing lots of money!)

I've also adjusted my CitiAlerts to alert me of ALL transactions (previously was $50 and above to alert me). Hope you guys do this too! Especially for those who travel!

I'm not sure if there are any threads consolidating suspicious credit card activities, but feel free to add on (choy! hopefully no one ever gets such experiences!) here, or sticky this, etc...

This is a very notice to all, i suggest to keep this thread as a infomation place where we all can find those Credit Card scam related post so that to help others from not falling into it or prevent it

Last edited by Plastic Xiao; 14-09-2010 at 01:44 AM..
Plastic Xiao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #11

Hi for the citi alerts right, once i edited from one of my cards means all activated? Will citibank send sms to alert you even for your supplementary card's transaction?
Kenylng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #12

As per ABS requirements - all banks are supposed to put in some notification to the cardholder for all transactions.

Likewise, for card not present transactions - you are supposed to have an OTP sent to you for Visa Verified or MasterCard 3d Secure merchants.

Hopefully with these measures in place, you won't get scammed as per the above transaction...
relaxxjaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 10:43 AM   #13
d3n
Arch-Supremacy Member

As per ABS requirements - all banks are supposed to put in some notification to the cardholder for all transactions.

Likewise, for card not present transactions - you are supposed to have an OTP sent to you for Visa Verified or MasterCard 3d Secure merchants.
no OPT will be send to you for such transactions. You will be redirected to your bank website to enter your 3D secure pin number instead.
Old 14-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
Arch-Supremacy Member

do you guys received sms whenever u sign something ?
i get random sms when i sign something from citibank

not sure if this is becoz if the merchant has ties with citibank or somethign taht u can turn on and off
Old 15-09-2010, 12:03 AM   #15

do you guys received sms whenever u sign something ?
i get random sms when i sign something from citibank

not sure if this is becoz if the merchant has ties with citibank or somethign taht u can turn on and off
Is it random or for all transactions?
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.