Unknown Credit Fees !!! (Overseas Online Spend)

nlee84

Reaction score
me kena hit too.

Paid for airticket on thai airways SINGAPORE and the amount charged is in SGD - no other ways to change the payment currency so why they still charge me?

Anyway, I emailed OCBC waiting for their reply.

angelslayer

Reaction score
I've emailed Uber and below is the reply. Currently Visa and Mastercard is charging the consumer on this fee, they only way to get away is to use American Express at the moment. Requested them to look into this matter and I'm not sure what they can do about this. I believe this is happening to all Visa and Mastercard users globally and they should be aware of it and working for a resolution.

===============================
Hi XXX,

I'm happy to explain the discrepancy between your Uber receipt and the charge on your statement.

Given Uber's international structure - our merchant account, Uber BV, is based in the Netherlands, and therefore certain banks will add an international transactional fee when their cardholder makes a purchase from Uber BV. Uber has no control over whether your bank chooses to add such a fee. While this isn't an optimal experience, you may be able to lower or avoid these fees by using a different credit card.

If you check your trip receipt, you'll notice we have a disclaimer at the bottom that reads: "Fare does not include fees that may be charged by your bank. Please contact your bank directly for inquiries." Our intent is to be as transparent as possible and make it easy for you to pay for your Uber requests. We accept several payment methods, and you can always add a new payment option via your app or riders.uber.com at any time.

We'd also like to point out that depending on the time and whether there is surge pricing, uberX is cheaper than a taxi. In addition, when you pay with a credit card on a taxi you would in some cases get charged with an transaction fee, typically higher than the difference you are seeing now. So all in all, we believe that in most cases, Uber is not only the most convenient transportation method but also the cheapest.

We are always happy to take a look if you feel that something wasn't quite right.

Be a PRO rider. See how: t.uber.com/RideLikeAPro

Best,

Joseph
help.uber.com

Rivendell

Reaction score
Is it confirmed that paying thought PayPal can avoid the DCC fee?

Confirm cannot!
I just tio a surcharge on my POSB Debit card.
Bought some games from steam, using SGD paid via Paypal(charged to my Debit card)

Slapped with 2.8% surcharge! *pui*

zuppeur

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First time read abt this,I am confused.
If I am purchasing items from amazon
Is it better to charge in usd or sgd using visa card and why is it better?

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if i use US or UK paypal account with any sg credit card and charge in SGD paying local merchant, would i iincur any DCC fees?

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyone knows if i use US or UK paypal account with any sg credit card and charge in SGD paying local merchant, would i iincur any DCC fees?

Not tried but in theory that should incur DCC, cos US or UK paypal account is overseas payment portal. Why not use SG paypal account?

ashethen

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not tried but in theory that should incur DCC, cos US or UK paypal account is overseas payment portal. Why not use SG paypal account?

coz some of my cards are linked to US paypal account. don't want to take the trouble to unlink it and link to SG paypal then link back to US paypal and reconfirm the card again.

some online shops i frequent only accept US paypal

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
coz some of my cards are linked to US paypal account. don't want to take the trouble to unlink it and link to SG paypal then link back to US paypal and reconfirm the card again.

some online shops i frequent only accept US paypal

ok. maybe can link different cards to different account

Last edited:

greentealover

Reaction score
Standard chartered bank explained to me that although the merchant maybe in Singapore, the payment server is outside Singapore. For such transactions, DCC fee will apply. One such merchant is Groupon.

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Standard chartered bank explained to me that although the merchant maybe in Singapore, the payment server is outside Singapore. For such transactions, DCC fee will apply. One such merchant is Groupon.

Yes, if paying in SGD and the payment server/gateway/processor is outside singapore, DCC will apply

Squaredot

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Confirm cannot!
I just tio a surcharge on my POSB Debit card.
Bought some games from steam, using SGD paid via Paypal(charged to my Debit card)

Slapped with 2.8% surcharge! *pui*

wef 1 Sep 2015,
Visa/MasterCard Debit Cards From 0.8% to 2.8% fee
MasterCard Credit Cards From 0.8% to 1% fee
Visa Credit Cards 0.8% fee

Debit card slap the highest fee

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm if HSBC still charge 0% fee for Cross-border Transactions (not DCC)?

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
try pay via paypal to avoid DCC fee

Paypal give you very low exchange rate. In the end, it all back to around the same.

Worse if you have Paypal charged to your credit card.

Last edited:

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Paypal give you very low exchange rate. In the end, it all back to around the same.

Worse if you have Paypal charged to your credit card.

Use paypal only if the standard payment is in sgd but merchant process overseas

shikyo

Reaction score
Anyone tried AMEX??

milelion.com/2015/04/24/beware-the-dynamic-currency-conversion-scam/

It says: Wherever possible, pay with AMEX. AMEX does not support DCC

I've emailed Uber and below is the reply. Currently Visa and Mastercard is charging the consumer on this fee, they only way to get away is to use American Express at the moment. Requested them to look into this matter and I'm not sure what they can do about this. I believe this is happening to all Visa and Mastercard users globally and they should be aware of it and working for a resolution.

===============================
Hi XXX,

I'm happy to explain the discrepancy between your Uber receipt and the charge on your statement.

Given Uber's international structure - our merchant account, Uber BV, is based in the Netherlands, and therefore certain banks will add an international transactional fee when their cardholder makes a purchase from Uber BV. Uber has no control over whether your bank chooses to add such a fee. While this isn't an optimal experience, you may be able to lower or avoid these fees by using a different credit card.

If you check your trip receipt, you'll notice we have a disclaimer at the bottom that reads: "Fare does not include fees that may be charged by your bank. Please contact your bank directly for inquiries." Our intent is to be as transparent as possible and make it easy for you to pay for your Uber requests. We accept several payment methods, and you can always add a new payment option via your app or riders.uber.com at any time.

We'd also like to point out that depending on the time and whether there is surge pricing, uberX is cheaper than a taxi. In addition, when you pay with a credit card on a taxi you would in some cases get charged with an transaction fee, typically higher than the difference you are seeing now. So all in all, we believe that in most cases, Uber is not only the most convenient transportation method but also the cheapest.

We are always happy to take a look if you feel that something wasn't quite right.

Be a PRO rider. See how: t.uber.com/RideLikeAPro

Best,

Joseph
help.uber.com

And Uber is running a promotion with AMEX!

get.uber.com/amex

I also tried to read up on DCC, but I think I'm too dumb to understand if DCC is a good thing or a bad thing...

3gdirectpay.com/blog/understanding-dynamic-currency-conversion

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried AMEX??

milelion.com/2015/04/24/beware-the-dynamic-currency-conversion-scam/

It says: Wherever possible, pay with AMEX. AMEX does not support DCC

And Uber is running a promotion with AMEX!

get.uber.com/amex

I also tried to read up on DCC, but I think I'm too dumb to understand if DCC is a good thing or a bad thing...

3gdirectpay.com/blog/understanding-dynamic-currency-conversion

DCC or cross border fee is incur when you paying in SGD but the payment is processed overseas. Currently there is such fee for most credit cards, except for cards issued by AMex.

In cases that the merchant accept payment via credit card linked to sg paypal, the dcc fee can be avoided as sg paypal is considered as local payment gateway.

Last edited:

nannoid

Reaction score
Any idea about iTunes Store?

Is it time to change to store credit to buy Apps. :s11:

laurent_rio

Reaction score
DCC or cross border fee is incur when you paying in SGD but the payment is processed overseas. Currently there is such fee for most credit cards, except for cards issued by AMex.

In cases that the merchant accept payment via credit card linked to sg paypal, the dcc fee can be avoided as sg paypal is considered as local payment gateway.

Hi,

recently i got case , i made 2 air asia online booking with rate in MYR
1st booking done in Singapore and the other i did when i was overseas. The booking only different 1 day but the rate given are so much different

1st booking (done in Sin) : 2122.16 MYR --> charged 715.6 SGD (1 SGD = 2.96 MYR)

2nd booking (done when overseas ) : 4324.32 MYR --> charged 1516.6 SGD (1 SGD = 2.85 MYR )

Do you think i kena DCC fee on top of 2.5% foreign exchange fee ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.