Unknown Credit Fees !!! (Overseas Online Spend)

wayne310

Reaction score
DBS does not incur.

are you sure?

i have been charged cross border fee on dbs cards for following merchants:

expedia,
air india,
uber
iHerb
iTunes

some people told to try paying using paypal to avoid these fees..if does not work then i will suspend dbs cards and move to Amex.

cherrystalk

Reaction score
are you sure?

expedia,
air india,
uber
iHerb
iTunes

some people told to try paying using paypal to avoid these fees..if does not work then i will suspend dbs cards and move to Amex.

really ah. i used paypal to pay for my klm air tickets but still charged 2.5% cross border fees (coz my paypal linked to anz)

bluetwinkle

Reaction score
are you sure?

expedia,
air india,
uber
iHerb
iTunes

I was not charged DCC for airbnb and I recall its website saying that you must be charged in the currency of the country you are from.

The PayPal stuff probably works only if you are given the option to choose the country at the beginning. I got trapped in another situation where I wanted to pay in foreign currency and get rewards for foreign currency spend, the option to choose country resulted in the payment gateway to be Singapore. Such irony of PayPal use.

bluetwinkle

Reaction score
really ah. i used paypal to pay for my klm air tickets but still charged 2.5% cross border fees (coz my paypal linked to anz)
I suspect some merchants locked the option to choose country. 2.5% DCC is really high, you should go for cards with lower DCC if you are also looking at option for cash rebates or miles.

wayne310

Reaction score
can anyone confirm if Citibank cards are being charged these fees?

someone reported last month that citi not charging these fees

StealthShadow

Reaction score
are you sure?

expedia,
air india,
uber
iHerb
iTunes

is the DCC an additional item in the statement, or just added to the total cost?

have been purchasing online on DBS and other cards for a few months, need to check...

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is the DCC an additional item in the statement, or just added to the total cost?

have been purchasing online on DBS and other cards for a few months, need to check...

Will be added to the total cost.. they wont show as a separate add-on charge

Alienwaree

Suspended
Reaction score
Anyone know how the DCC affects groupon purchases? Saw from shopback thread that groupon will have 1% dcc. I think should be negligible, but I'm a frequent buyer so I want to know. I use DBS cards. Thinking of getting stuff today coz GOSF + shopback + DBS bank promo.
https://www.shopback.sg/gosf

lingua101

Reaction score
I start seeing a conversion fee on my uber transaction on my Citibank

*CCY CONVERSION FEE SGD 14.40

This was for last Sunday ride. I have been using many time in Singapore and this is the first time I see conversion fee.

wayne310

Reaction score
i tried paypal also...and dbs card still charged me the fee for Uber.

its getting to the point annoying and making me think twice about buying anything online in singapore.

amex is the only one not charging this cross border fee?

i was considering applying for citi cards but now u all say they also start charging.

JC2015

Reaction score

its getting to the point annoying and making me think twice about buying anything online in singapore.

i was considering applying for citi cards but now u all say they also start charging.

These charges NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BANKS. Charge comes from Visa / MasterCard.

lingua101

Reaction score

can we pay uber using amex?

appledabble

Reaction score
I also noticed an additional 0.8% imposed on my Agoda bookings 😡

Certainly haven't seen this before for all my past Agoda bookings

anyhowsaysay

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just saw it started 2 weeks ago for my citibank credit card.

was super surprised then called up citibank. apparently they started on 18 april
https://www.citibank.com.sg/global_docs/pdf/Updates-on-Citi-Credit-Cards.pdf

As long as the merchant payment processing from overseas, even if we are quoted in SGD, they will charge 0.8% for Visa, 0.4% for American Express and 1% for Mastercard.

My itunes and steam purchases got the 0.8% extra. They are willing to waive those currency charges for this month for me. Somehow why such big news they never inform us (Email or something?!?)

wayne310

Reaction score
i am changing my uber payment method to amex. let's see

they have some amex points scheme for uber payments:
zGzGmJy.jpg

lemme know how it works.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.