UOB PRVI Miles Mastercard

Suleyman

Reaction score
Earlier 'leaks' are true. The Mastercard version of PRVI miles card has been launched.

UOB : Credit Cards | Earn the most air miles with UOB PRVI Miles World MasterCard Card

Same earn rate as the Amex version - 1.6 miles for local spend, 2.5 miles for overseas spend. This is going to trump the Amex version, as well as other general spending miles-earning cards like Premiermiles, Altitude and ANZ Travel Visa.

Hopefully, this will spur the other banks into a new miles cards arms race. :D:D

purpletoysmum

Reaction score
It doesn't have the bonus 20K miles when you spend $50K in a year like the Amex version does. So it does not completely replace the Amex version.

Please also note that the charge on foreign currency transactions is 3.25% which is higher than for Premiermiles and Altitude.

Last edited:

purpletoysmum

Reaction score
If you are a small spender, do note that the expiry of UNI$ is only 2 years compared to No Expiry for Premiermiles and DBS Altitude and 5 years expiry for ANZ Travel. Will you accumulate enough miles in 2 years to make it worthwhile to pay the conversion fee?

Suleyman

Reaction score
Please also note that the charge on foreign currency transactions is 3.25% which is higher than for Premiermiles and Altitude.

Calculations were done long ago to show why this is worth it. For every SGD$1, you are paying 0.75c for 0.5 miles, or 1.5c per mile, which is below the ~2c a mile that most people are paying for miles at renewal (DBS Altitude charges $192.60 for 10k miles, or 1.926c per mile).

Only thing to be careful here is that as a Mastercard, you can be hit with DCC.

If you are a small spender, do note that the expiry of UNI$ is only 2 years compared to No Expiry for Premiermiles and DBS Altitude and 5 years expiry for ANZ Travel. Will you accumulate enough miles in 2 years to make it worthwhile to pay the conversion fee?

But, if you were a serious miles collector (even if small spender), you will have the PP Visa (for paywave and the 'maybe, sometimes' online), PP Amex (for dining), and Visa Signature (for overseas between $1-2k). Your everyday spend points can now go into the same bucket and can redeem with just one time payment.

Also, after transfer into KF, you have an additional 3 years expiry. If you cannot accumulate enough miles in 5 years, then I would suggest the miles game is not for you, and you might want to look at rebates instead.

dexboi

Master Member
Reaction score
Wow at the Annual Fee! Whopping $406.60/p.a

Not worth all the hassles. UNI$ expire in 2 years is really a turn off. If you can't get them to waive the annual fee, then there goes your UNI$ as well.

sneggg

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UNI 2 years KF 3 years..why not enough ?

anyway this is just to supplement womans card

hmm this 1 cant apply online via IB yet

Last edited:

Suleyman

Reaction score
Wow at the Annual Fee! Whopping $406.60/p.a

Not worth all the hassles. UNI$ expire in 2 years is really a turn off. If you can't get them to waive the annual fee, then there goes your UNI$ as well.

Rubbish. UNI$ is not tied to the card account but put into a pool with all your UOB cards. As long as you still have 1 UNI$ generating UOB card, all your UNI$ will be there and usable.

Besides, I have never had issue with getting UOB to waive the annual fee. I doubt this card is any different.

As I already mentioned. If 2 years (UOB) + 3 years (KF) is not enough for you to accumulate the miles required, then the miles game is not really for you. Probably better off looking at rebates.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Calculations were done long ago to show why this is worth it. For every SGD$1, you are paying 0.75c for 0.5 miles, or 1.5c per mile, which is below the ~2c a mile that most people are paying for miles at renewal (DBS Altitude charges $192.60 for 10k miles, or 1.926c per mile).

Only thing to be careful here is that as a Mastercard, you can be hit with DCC.

But, if you were a serious miles collector (even if small spender), you will have the PP Visa (for paywave and the 'maybe, sometimes' online), PP Amex (for dining), and Visa Signature (for overseas between $1-2k). Your everyday spend points can now go into the same bucket and can redeem with just one time payment.

Also, after transfer into KF, you have an additional 3 years expiry. If you cannot accumulate enough miles in 5 years, then I would suggest the miles game is not for you, and you might want to look at rebates instead.

One must also take note that KF charge fuel tax at time of redeem. It can be quite expensive. So do consider this vs normal ticketing price if all you want is KF points.

Allen_C_Sharp

Reaction score
This is better than ANZ travel's miles earning rate, 1.6:1.4 local and 2.5 miles foreign regardless of countries.

spearhawk

Reaction score
One must also take note that KF charge fuel tax at time of redeem. It can be quite expensive. So do consider this vs normal ticketing price if all you want is KF points.

Aren't fuel tax and surcharges for SQ and Star Alliance normal and redemption tickets the same?

If you are talking about taking other airlines (outside Star Alliance), then the comparison really doesn't apply.

Last edited:

Suleyman

Reaction score

Yes, it is. Please don't get into the miles game. Means more seat availability for me.

Aren't fuel tax and surcharges for SQ and Star Alliance normal and redemption tickets the same?

No it isn't. SQ tags along surcharges and taxes that are usually higher than what they charge for paid tickets.

However, still plenty of value to be gotten if you know how to play the game, which has been discussed many times in this forum already.

aster1

Reaction score
It doesn't have the bonus 20K miles when you spend $50K in a year like the Amex version does. So it does not completely replace the Amex version.

True. I went for the 20k miles bonus this year (or rather... last year), but I'll gladly switch to the MC version.

This is a real game-changer IMO. 1.6 miles/$ and not being stuck with the Amex logo makes this the best 'overall spend' card in the country at the moment.

Allen_C_Sharp

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at the t&c, seems that insurance coverage does not cover the normal medical, only covers emergency evacuation(have to use other cards or insurance to cover the normal medical)
Besides, please note the uni$ will not be awarded @ Smart$ merchants.

aster1

Reaction score
Seems like nobody's mentioned it yet, but another drawback is no more free rides to the airport... :)

aster1

Reaction score
Just had a quick look at the t&c, seems that insurance coverage does not cover the normal medical, only covers emergency evacuation(have to use other cards or insurance to cover the normal medical)

Is it the same for the Amex version, or have they only cut it down for the MC one?

True about Smart$ merchants - I always remind myself not to use UOB cards at CS, Best Denki, etc.

Suleyman

Reaction score

I didn't notice... Because I wouldn't be paying for air tickets with this card. ;)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.