Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Debt: Singapore – Compared with the other 3 “Tiger” Economies

Like Tree2Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #106
High Supremacy Member

Not really lah. These people are "waken" (or rather, protesting) simply because they don't stand to benefit from it mah. If they can benefit from the system, do you think they would still protest even if they know jolly well that it's unfair to others?
yea true ~

and why we need some oppositions ~ similar theory here~
Old 27-06-2012, 05:03 PM   #107
High Supremacy Member

ok here is another information ~
let's open our mind and see ~

be it "untrue or whatever or with "hidden politics agenda " just for reference ~

Singapore: Only country with Govt surplus in list of highest debt to GDP ratio

As an economist you are trained to try and spot patterns. Most things that we observe in life fall in to very predictable patterns. It is when we spot anomalies or things that don’t make sense that interest us most. Take a look at this table and ask your self which of these countries is not like the other countries?

When ranking countries with the highest debt to GDP ratios, Singapore ranks just beneath Iraq and just above Belgium. However, what makes Singapore’s debt level so amazing, is that it averaged a government surplus of nearly 9% since 1990. In fact it is the only country on this list to average a surplus. Somehow Singapore has magically run a surplus but also become one of the most indebted countries in the world!! Now that is some magic accounting.

This again returns us to the question of where the surplus funds have gone? Coffee anyone?

Christopher Balding

*The writer is a professor of business and economics at the HSBC Business School at the Peking University Graduate School. An expert in sovereign wealth funds, he has published in such leading journals as the Review of International Economics, the Journal of Public Economic Theory, and the International Finance Review on such diverse topics as CDS pricing, the WTO, and the economics of adoption and abortion. His work as been cited by a variety of media outlets including the Wall Street Journal and the Financial Times. Prof Balding received his PhD from the University of California, Irvine and worked in private equity prior to entering academia.

Singapore: Only country with Govt surplus in list of highest debt to GDP ratio « Economics « Opinion « TR EMERITUS
Old 27-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #108
High Supremacy Member

hmmm not looking at the reserves...

nice job
Old 27-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #109

So therefore, to compare debt with the other 'tiger' economies is a non- starter because none of us have figures to back it up.

The only reason why the singapore dollar can hold its own, is not only due to our confidentiality but also our capability to response to them.

I feel Only" the PM , they themselves know of course with some ministers"~

I don't feel surprised MPs and some ministers don't know about the reserves since this is a sensitive national secret~

Just see , around us ~
countries openly declare how much debts they owned but never clearly stated how much reserves they left~

because you will never openly tell other how much reserves you have ~
or else investors will not come or avoid coming "if" the reserves is low ~
or don't willing to lend you money or whatever business , investment deals involve ~
Joel_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #110

Again I ask, What is the difference between national debt and budget deficit? To not understand the concepts behind them, and quoting from some journal with no background reading is not going to help.....

ok here is another information ~
let's open our mind and see ~

When ranking countries with the highest debt to GDP ratios, Singapore ranks just beneath Iraq and just above Belgium. However, what makes Singapore’s debt level so amazing, is that it averaged a government surplus of nearly 9% since 1990. In fact it is the only country on this list to average a surplus. Somehow Singapore has magically run a surplus but also become one of the most indebted countries in the world!! Now that is some magic accounting.

Singapore: Only country with Govt surplus in list of highest debt to GDP ratio « Economics « Opinion « TR EMERITUS
Old 27-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #111
High Supremacy Member

Let face it , our GDP , why our dear mainstream medias every time like to show good news about how well our economy is , our GDP ~

Always don't have any negative news , mostly good news ~
Is like "marketing" to lure investors come~

On the other hands investors are not stupid ~
Beside looking the country economics , safety , social life here, external treats , Etcs ~

What they want also "cheap labours" ~
As I have mention no one will know how "they " spend our reserves and what kind of budget they are seeking ~
Only "themselves " know ~
TS holdings ~etc local corporations ~

Still remember the people get a surprise on town council invest on leman brothers?

If they never go bankrupt will you know town counci use some funds to invest on it?

Summary of this thread is ~
About transparency ~
Why the people cannot know how government spend the nation's money ?

Ok fair enough maybe some investment need to secret or else competitors will know ?
[[ForeverAlone]] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #112
High Supremacy Member

Lastly still remember ex president nathan approve to use the nation reserves because of economics crises if I get the year correct is 2008?

Now 2012 , is there a return ?

Sorry if I miss out any news regarding on this ~
Old 27-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #113
High Supremacy Member

another one of those, you dunno the answer yet you know the answer post...
Old 27-06-2012, 08:22 PM   #114
High Supremacy Member

Again I ask, What is the difference between national debt and budget deficit? To not understand the concepts behind them, and quoting from some journal with no background reading is not going to help.....
c'mon, too difficult for him... roadside news and online jpeg pics easier...
Old 27-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #115

GDP is only a basic tool in measuring growth on a country's economy. It ends there.

GDP is not an indicator used as an specific. It is only a broad taste of the general status of the economy. To surmise that based on GDP GDP GDP... is rubbish.

What the GDP does not indicate is what is the most important...
Old 27-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #116
Supremacy Member

Actually a check at the neighbourhood friendly wikipedia will resolve the problem.
sunzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #117
High Supremacy Member

Actually a check at the neighbourhood friendly wikipedia will resolve the problem.
the thing is he cant think, so whats the point? he can only be spoonfed.

and he cannot see things the way they are cos there is this unsuppressable personal greed inside him just like those he hated most... he felt the whole world owed him, and if ppl gave up their wealth or hard earned money, he'll be better off.

cant come to terms with ownself and the environment, thats it.
Old 27-06-2012, 10:33 PM   #118
High Supremacy Member

If gold continues to go as it goes , I would buy a lot of it ~
"if it goes to 1100 per ounce level , I will buy a lot of it"~

Too bad I'm not that rich ~
Errr think now this topic going to be use as personal insult?
I already mention I m Not against the rich ~
I even mention some rich elites are good~
Hmm actually I m not that poor , just a humble dude ~
Got a shelter to stay , able to afford things I like and foods already feel contended ~

Why I bother to bring this topic up is for discussion~
You can don't agreed with me is fine ~
I have nothing to lose ~
Let discuss things related to this topic instead personal attacks on one another ~

No matter what time will tell provided you still alive to see how SG changed ~

Even pm already hint get ready for some setbacks~
Old 27-06-2012, 10:42 PM   #119

For god sake... stop, just stop. Stop hijacking Occupy Wall Street protesters message. They have some very valid grievances and messages for change in the US, and yes, there is need for change and reform in international finance, business culture and everything.

But your stupidity is contaminating their message.

Do you even understand the anger that Occupy Wall Street has at their politicians and political system? When they say money corrupts, the more intelligent of the protesters are not talking about just rich vs poor. They're talking about the incessant lobbying in US politics, and how the system of purchasing attack ad, airtime, linked to lobbyists and etc is destroying the essence of America democracy. Its referring to the very specific issue of how SuperPacs allow unlimited contributions from corporations to support their desired politician election campaign.

Its........... ARRGGGHHHH. Look, I don't really mind you being an idiot for conspiracy theory, Rockefeelr, Illuminati and what****. Not my ****ing problem. But stop abusing the very valid message that Occupy Wall Street is putting out.
PainRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #120

If gold continues to go as it goes , I would buy a lot of it ~
"if it goes to 1100 per ounce level , I will buy a lot of it"~
Go ahead and be a fool then. Gold prices may still climb higher, but its already in the peak of a bubble. Its not as if you can't mine more gold.

I would love to discuss how wealth, the increasing rich poor gap in Singapore and etc is not desirable in Singapore but I won't discuss it with you.
PainRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.