Distance-Time based fare

lobo76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not just time. I wrote to PTC before to ask about some irregularities regarding circle line calculation.

My email
Dear Mr Eugene,

I refer to your letter published on ST Forum today.

Something is still wrong, as pointed by a poster in the Forum. Going
from Paya Labar to Bishan, there is no reason to take the EastWest
line, and transfer to the NorthSouth line, when the circle line is a
direct route that totally eliminates any walking time at all (no need
to even cross the train platform).

Can you be more transparent in how the fares are calculated?

Their reply
Train fares are based on the distance of logical travel route (i.e. the fastest route of travel). Prior to the opening of the Circle Line, the logical travel route from Bishan station to Paya Lebar station is via North-South Line to City Hall station where you then switch to the East-West Line. With the opening of the Circle Line (CCL), a review of this logical travel route found that a change in the travel route via CCL would result in fare increase for commuters going through the Bishan-Paya Lebar CCL route. This is because CCL has a different fare structure compared to North-South and East-West Lines. For the purpose of computing the fare, the original travel route (i.e. via North-South and East-West Lines) is therefore retained for the benefit of commuters.

Having said that, you can choose to travel via Circle Line from Paya Lebar to Bishan or via North-South and East-West Lines, and the fare for both routes is the same.

We hope the above clarifies.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yours sincerely,
Bundle Goh (Ms)
for Secretary
Public Transport Council

Not really JUST distance based after all..., not even just include time. Don't know how they attached weightage to their seemingly unlimited number of factors OTHER THAN DISTANCE.

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is very confusing...

how are commuters supposed to know how much each route cost?

when fare was calculated in stages at least you had a very good idea. Now it is all messed up.
more selfpwn ahead...

crntbs

Reaction score
I think this distance-time based BS fails big time. I don't think it achieve the purpose of reducing transportation fares for 66% of the commuters at all. I would rather they revert back to the old stage system. :s27:

James Tang

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well seems that the Transport companies tried to tell people it is 'distance' based but turned out that commuters discovered irregularities in the fair charges, then ONLY PTC comes out and tell people that not only distance, time is also involved.

Since there is a time component, does it mean that if there is traffic jam or the drivers drives damn slow (yes, occasionally some busses move slower than bicycle, probably due to keeping to schedule), the commuters will be charged more?

I must agree that when PTC is not entirely neutral, and transport companies are garment linked-profit making semi-privatized entities, this will happen and usually commuters aka general publics will suffer while nothing being done to rectify.

Don't get confused. A peasants or general public, you can either:

1. Buy a car and don't take public transport; or
2. Bite the bullet and move on.

Edit to add: Did I see 'BUndle' as someone's name? Interesting. To me this is the third most funny name I have encountered in real life. First being Dumbo (some friend from HK Uni); Fanny (some sales) and now Bundle.

mikezuper

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Who wants to bet with me that their Grand Plan is to make each trip min cost is at least $1 by 2013 or 2014? Raise here, raise there, confuse with distance based, time based, dress based, age based, sex based, peak/off-peak based, smelly/not-smelly based, bring luggage based, fat/slim based, popular-line based, stand/sit based, etc2... :D

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
wonder if it turns out the 66% actually loses out, or 100% lose out in this.

this is very confusing...

how are commuters supposed to know how much each route cost?

when fare was calculated in stages at least you had a very good idea. Now it is all messed up.
more selfpwn ahead...

ha, confusion is the trick. more and more it becomes:

now i tell u this, u better intepret it in the opposite logic. :s13:

kenloonglow

Reaction score
i laugh when they said they factor in "walking time" between stations, based on senior people walking time or kids walking time. So, next time if we "run", then the time will be reduce?

crntbs

Reaction score
I think it's unfair to factor in time especially sometimes when it takes damn bloody long for the bus to arrive during xfer. It's their fault for not improving the bus frequency and yet they want to penalize the commuters for that... :(

The_Republic

Banned
Reaction score
I thought our Transport Minister keep reminding us Singapore transport system is First World and world class status already.

This ST forum letter also proves that.

Still got grumbles meh ???

:s13::s22::eek:

------------------------------------------------------

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_563695.html

Singapore has come a long way

SINGAPORE celebrates its 45th birthday and it has come a long way from a Third World to a First World country of about five million proud citizens.

It has a world class transportation system.

Every year, it hosts the much anticipated Formula One race and this year, the first Youth Olympic Games. It has also taken great strides in sports, with its women paddlers winning the World Team Table Tennis Championship.

It has withstood trials like the Sars crisis and the global and Asian economic crises to become stronger. It now has an iconic Marina Bay area, two integrated resorts and a Universal Studios attraction.

Singapore has a forward-thinking government, peace, prosperity and an influence that extends well beyond its humble size.

As we reflect on all these glowing achievements, I just want to say, "Happy Birthday, Singapore". May the next decade bring continued peace and prosperity to this country which I call home.

Ethan Lee

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_563695.html

StarSeeker

Reaction score
Confusing lah. Just stick to one way to calculate fare,

Distance, by station, or even time.

But IMO, base on the old system of station is the least confusing. If I am a tourist, or some more that doesn't travel on train often, or that particular route often, how would I know the fare.

Maybe SMRT is trying to progressively confuse people. Last time train go said go east or west, north or south. Now just "towards Pasir Ris" or "Boon Lay", expecting everyone including tourists to be familiar with these locations.

The_Davis

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I think it's unfair to factor in time especially sometimes when it takes damn bloody long for the bus to arrive during xfer. It's their fault for not improving the bus frequency and yet they want to penalize the commuters for that... :(
they're trying to say NEL/CCL cut down your journey time as compared to just NS/EW lines

this is total crap

and if you're not aware, trips that involve NEL/CCL costs $0.25 more

idkelvin

Reaction score
This should be the final way to fare hike publicly.. as in future even the price increase you will not notice also.. cause they can sae that due to longer walking time.. due to traffic jam..
i believe they spend damn long time to come out with such calculation that no human is able to calculate.. distance factor and time factor and traffic condition and mood of the driver..
no way u can calculate it and thus the fare of your transport changes everyday..
Gd Luck..
still vote for them and soon u will get size factor.. fat people takup more space thus pay more. machaim road tax..

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
can i consider this as misleading advertising? can sue?

if majority of the people are misled then there should be a case. imagine i advertise my product claiming something similar wonder what will happen.

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can i consider this as misleading advertising? can sue?

if majority of the people are misled then there should be a case. imagine i advertise my product claiming something similar wonder what will happen.

Did they (the transport companies) advertise anything? I dun recall seeing anything to that effect...

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
no lah they just tell u it will be in effect 3rd july or something, u forget ur own pahkeh.

not ad at all. anyway they told u 2/3 could possibly be saving but 1/3 sure burnt liao.

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
Did they (the transport companies) advertise anything? I dun recall seeing anything to that effect...

Advertising is any form of mass communications. A poster, website image, etc. all are. I thought I saw.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.