Enlightment On HDB Housing Grant.(Staying near parents grant)

ah786786

Reaction score
Recently had a incident with HDB,when i applied for BTO.In the application i also applied for the stay near parents grant of $40k.
Thus i also received that grant form together with my bto house selection forms.But when i went for my appointment,the person said i am not eligible for the 40k grant as its BTO.And had to come up with quite alot of cash within the 3 months after deduction from my CPF a/c.

Just thinking if the goverment is promoting children buying flats near their parents,why is the grant only appliciable for resale only and not for BTO,given that even the BTO flat price is high which the goverment somehow claims its affordable.Yes its "affordable" for the next 30yrs of my life with little saving, given that the "concessionary" loan by HDB itself the overall interest amount for the 30yrs is quite high.

Its not like we are after a high end house,but a normal small flat near my parents due to family support in future.

Thus wondering why the hell HDB sent the grant form if they know that i am not eligible as my application was for BTO.
And also the loan is based on income ceiling,and asking us to top quite a high amount in cash before the loan can be given...if i had that much amount of cash they ask me to give before they gimme a loan,why would i even be there appying for the HDB loan or the 40k grant....?

So much so for goverment begging singaporeans to start family and have more kids.If like this how are young singaporeans suppose to start family young and not wait till 30+ when i am fiancially stable to afford a simple flat which is a basic necessity????

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
well the regs are there. not surprised ppl only make noise when it concerns them. which is why we get to see 60.1 but 81 seats.

but on the other hand, pappies are always relunctant to give anything back to citizens. standard pattern. for such cases, at least BTO near parents give a fraction of the grant, ppl will oso be happy.

ah786786

Reaction score
well the regs are there. not surprised ppl only make noise when it concerns them. which is why we get to see 60.1 but 81 seats.

but on the other hand, pappies are always relunctant to give anything back to citizens. standard pattern. for such cases, at least BTO near parents give a fraction of the grant, ppl will oso be happy.
Becuase the 40K grant meant quite a big deal to me due to my fianicial situtation and the urgency to get the "affordable" flat near parents which only the BTO was available...Felt really bad when had to reject it due to the fianicial situation after knowing they were not willing to help me out with the grant,if not for the grant i had to come up with 30k+ cash inclusive of stamp fees and so on...

Jarlaxle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this rude awakening is created purely by urself.
u did not do ur due dilligent to go and ask ppl about such things before applying.
and no, u r not the 1st person who had such assumptions. many of my friends kept hearing ppl are getting 40k grant and they assumed they will get it.
i laughed at them and ask em to go back and read the sections again.
so my friends are kinda "saved" by me and did their sums right.

this is a no-incident. simply becoz u did not read or find out.

btw, staying near parents is only 10k grant. not 40k even if u buy resale.

now to the policy stuff.
u asked why govt cannot give u grant for BTO?
simple!
they already deducted the grant!
will it make a diff if they up the price by 40k and give u a 40k grant?

btw, what house are u getting? since u said its not high end?
is it a 3 room?

im not sure why they sent u the forms.
probably becoz BTO, EC, DBSS used similar forms. and the other 2 are allowed to hv the grants.

everyone applies for grant or loan. even rich man like to use mortgage to leverage on their cash.

means u did not read in between the lines by the govt.
they only want the rich and intellectual to reproduce.

secondly, portraying the govt to be "pro family" create political points.
but they dun necessary hv to do it.

btw 40k means a great deal to everyone, including me LOL

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Becuase the 40K grant meant quite a big deal to me due to my fianicial situtation and the urgency to get the "affordable" flat near parents which only the BTO was available...Felt really bad when had to reject it due to the fianicial situation after knowing they were not willing to help me out with the grant,if not for the grant i had to come up with 30k+ cash inclusive of stamp fees and so on...

You must understand that "affordable" does not necessary mean cheap. It just mean being within payable limits. If you can pay $500 out of a salary of $2,000, why would they want to charge you only $100?

Inix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Liew eh TS. There is no $40K grant. Its $10K + $30K. Both is applicable if you buy DBSS or RESALE. This is clearly stated in the HDB website leh. otherwise, you are free to call up HDB mah

ah_cheng1882

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure you did not get your facts wrong in the first place? It really looks silly on your part, you know...

Recently had a incident with HDB,when i applied for BTO.In the application i also applied for the stay near parents grant of $40k.
Thus i also received that grant form together with my bto house selection forms.But when i went for my appointment,the person said i am not eligible for the 40k grant as its BTO.And had to come up with quite alot of cash within the 3 months after deduction from my CPF a/c.

Just thinking if the goverment is promoting children buying flats near their parents,why is the grant only appliciable for resale only and not for BTO,given that even the BTO flat price is high which the goverment somehow claims its affordable.Yes its "affordable" for the next 30yrs of my life with little saving, given that the "concessionary" loan by HDB itself the overall interest amount for the 30yrs is quite high.

Its not like we are after a high end house,but a normal small flat near my parents due to family support in future.

Thus wondering why the hell HDB sent the grant form if they know that i am not eligible as my application was for BTO.
And also the loan is based on income ceiling,and asking us to top quite a high amount in cash before the loan can be given...if i had that much amount of cash they ask me to give before they gimme a loan,why would i even be there appying for the HDB loan or the 40k grant....?

So much so for goverment begging singaporeans to start family and have more kids.If like this how are young singaporeans suppose to start family young and not wait till 30+ when i am fiancially stable to afford a simple flat which is a basic necessity????

ah786786

Reaction score
this rude awakening is created purely by urself.
u did not do ur due dilligent to go and ask ppl about such things before applying.
and no, u r not the 1st person who had such assumptions. many of my friends kept hearing ppl are getting 40k grant and they assumed they will get it.
i laughed at them and ask em to go back and read the sections again.
so my friends are kinda "saved" by me and did their sums right.

this is a no-incident. simply becoz u did not read or find out.

btw, staying near parents is only 10k grant. not 40k even if u buy resale.

now to the policy stuff.
u asked why govt cannot give u grant for BTO?
simple!
they already deducted the grant!
will it make a diff if they up the price by 40k and give u a 40k grant?

btw, what house are u getting? since u said its not high end?
is it a 3 room?

im not sure why they sent u the forms.
probably becoz BTO, EC, DBSS used similar forms. and the other 2 are allowed to hv the grants.

everyone applies for grant or loan. even rich man like to use mortgage to leverage on their cash.

means u did not read in between the lines by the govt.
they only want the rich and intellectual to reproduce.

secondly, portraying the govt to be "pro family" create political points.
but they dun necessary hv to do it.

btw 40k means a great deal to everyone, including me LOL

I already read in between the lines,if i was not eligible why the hell send me the bloody form for that particular grant with my name and requesting my income details and also requiring my parents detail and their signatures...:s11:

Precisely its a rude awakening by myself by assuming they have let me take the grant...

Yeap,affordable does not means cheap...SINGAPORE i am in.

Last edited:

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
fZdhXq4.jpg

The AHG shown above is for BTO. The Married Child Priority Scheme that you're referring to entitles you to:

uTonQjp.jpg

So it's actually not a grant but merely giving you a higher chance of getting a favourable queue number to select your flat. Remember that the racial quota will still be in effect.

There's also SHG for lower income families to buy. See here: http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10321p.nsf/w/BuyingNewFlatSHG?OpenDocument

Last edited:

Jarlaxle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I already read in between the lines,if i was not eligible why the hell send me the bloody form for that particular grant with my name and requesting my income details and also requiring my parents detail and their signatures...:s11:

Precisely its a rude awakening by myself by assuming they have let me take the grant...

Yeap,affordable does not means cheap...SINGAPORE i am in.

when i first started work, banks also send me forms to apply credit card.
in the end, tio reject. i also wonder the same thing.

lol apparently, diff depts dun work hand in hand as often as we assume.
maybe the mail management is even outsourced! quite common these days.

nvm lah, now u noe already.
juz try again next time or see if ur parents can help u 1st

Jarlaxle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fZdhXq4.jpg

The AHG shown above is for BTO. The Married Child Priority Scheme that you're referring to entitles you to:

uTonQjp.jpg

So it's actually not a grant but merely giving you a higher chance of getting a favourable queue number to select your flat. Remember that the racial quota will still be in effect.

There's also SHG for lower income families to buy. See here: HDB InfoWEB: Special CPF Housing Grant : Buying A New Flat

hopefully the TS reads ur post

i hv something even more silly to share
i hv a friend who told me he can apply for AHG about 30k
to apply 30k AHG, u need to hv avg household income below 2.5k

my friend n spouse, cfm above 4k. when he told me that he will get that AHG
i was like "HAR? HOW?" ur combined income already more than 4k?

my fren said "avg household income maH"
my house will hv 2 ppl. 4k divided by 2 ppl is 2k.
avg household income is 2k lor.

LOLOL i laughed until i almost died.

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

LOL.

Anyway, I know this quite well because I'm a beneficiary of the MCPS. I got a good queue no. because the site was within 2 km of my parents' residence (where I'm staying now). There's no grant for that. Only got AHG.

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score

lol avg houshold income is everything right?

Jarlaxle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lol avg houshold income is everything right?

yeah! husband + wife avg month to month. not average income per pax lol
HDB InfoWEB: Additional CPF Housing Grant : Buying a Resale Flat

if my fren's computation is valid, basically everyone who applied for BTO definitely qualifies! then wats the need to apply!

let me explain why it doesnt make sense at all, even w/o looking at hdb website.

maximum income ceiling for AHG is 5k
assuming u hv 2 ppl in family nucleus, thats 10k income!
10k is also the ceiling for applying BTO!

so whoever can apply BTO, can get AHG if based on his sense of "averaging"

some ppl juz interpret in their preference. zzz

NTB2DO

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"Average" is for those whose monthly incomes fluctuate--eg commission-based workers lor. By "average" it just means taking the yearly household income divided by 12 months, and NOT taking working members' total income divided by the no. of household members lah.

sunzoner

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No point getting so work up over a market discount. Support a party that will make hdb sell at cost not including land cost.

hidayahkhir

Reaction score
LOL.

Anyway, I know this quite well because I'm a beneficiary of the MCPS. I got a good queue no. because the site was within 2 km of my parents' residence (where I'm staying now). There's no grant for that. Only got AHG.

Hi u mean if i apply under MCPS, i can still get AHG or SHG?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.