kong hee ans sun ho lived the good life

godchuanz

Reaction score
koxinga, do you happen to know if tithes are considered charity money?

Many churches, especially the mega churches, collect a huge amount of tithes every month. If they really do put the money into charity, it'd be great. However, Singapore's mega churches use money to build shopping malls. Based on the strict requirements you outlined, how did they justify spending millions on shopping malls as "charity"?

By the way, kudos for being a kind soul.

koxinga

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am sorry but I do not know with regards to tithes nor how they can use the money for commercial buildings.

On your other question, it has to do with how you declare to the Commissioner of Charities on the purpose which you collect the funds for. The rules are strict to protect the beneficiaries and the public but it is also a double-edge sword for charities when the purpose is too specific.

For example, if there is a earthquake in Pakistan and you start a "Pakistan Earthquake Fund 2015", you can't use the funds for any other purposes other than the Pakistan earthquake in 2015. There is always a chance that you can collect more than you can spend and you can't touch this money for your daily operational needs. But if you start a fund collection called "Earthquake Fund", you can in theory use it for earthquakes in China, Pakistan etc. It's not really a loophole if you are wondering as end of the day, the books needs to be audited. But it just gives you operational flexibility.

Anyway, that was from my experience a few years ago. Wasn't specifically involved in the admin and finance side of things but had some insights as I had to do such planning.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
" legality of using people's money " ? I think s just a nicer English word for cheating !

godchuanz

Reaction score
" legality of using people's money " ? I think s just a nicer English word for cheating !

It's actually kinda different.

Cheating == you lie to the people who gave the money. Donors are upset to see you live the good life with that money.

Kong Hee's case == the people willingly give the money. Donors are happy to see him live the good life with that money.

Perhaps, you can arguably say Kong Hee has brainwashed his flock. Unfortunately, there isn't any law against religious brainwashing. :(

yongjp

Reaction score
It's actually kinda different.

Cheating == you lie to the people who gave the money. Donors are upset to see you live the good life with that money.

Kong Hee's case == the people willingly give the money. Donors are happy to see him live the good life with that money.

Perhaps, you can arguably say Kong Hee has brainwashed his flock. Unfortunately, there isn't any law against religious brainwashing. :(

I don't think that the people gave KH money. They donated the money to CHC which is a charitable organisation. CHC then released the $$ to KH and friends so I THINK it's more of a case of CBT.

godchuanz

Reaction score
I don't think that the people gave KH money. They donated the money to CHC which is a charitable organisation. CHC then released the $$ to KH and friends so I THINK it's more of a case of CBT.

But the people knew that the money would go into Kong Hee's mansions, cars and luxurious lifestyles, and they still willingly gave. Most CHC goers I spoke to also confirmed that they knew Kong Hee is very well-paid by the church, and they had no problems with that. In fact, they LIKED IT that their leaders are prospering and blessed by God.

The current lawsuit Kong Hee and gang are facing has more to do with how money was allegedly laundered to fund Sun Ho's music career, not about the luxurious lifestyles of church leaders.

I wonder what would have happened if they had not gone through all that trouble to set up shell companies, sham bonds etc... but simply just openly declared that they are doing the controversial Crossover Project and funding it with $23million of the church money, and then give themselves a raise based on the "good work" done.

upslorry

Banned
Reaction score
I do not think the CHC church paid Kong Hee, i think he no longer receiving pay from church last I heard.

All the money he earned were his own biz

cybercom8

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not think the CHC church paid Kong Hee, i think he no longer receiving pay from church last I heard.

All the money he earned were his own biz

lol, and his own biz is selling things and services to the church? :s13:

cherry6

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.