Is it an offence not to update new address on ic ??

Cartoon0512

Reaction score
Hi, anyone know of this ? Tried searching on web for an answer but invalid . This guy borrowed money from my mum and I had engage debt collector to help to collect only to know that he no longer stay at the ic address ..we are using the address on our ic for GST rebates , government money , etc ?? So he using that address to get more rebate as it is a 1 room flat ...

edwinttt1978

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, anyone know of this ? Tried searching on web for an answer but invalid . This guy borrowed money from my mum and I had engage debt collector to help to collect only to know that he no longer stay at the ic address ..we are using the address on our ic for GST rebates , government money , etc ?? So he using that address to get more rebate as it is a 1 room flat ...

Under section 8(1)'Change of residence' of the National Registration Act,
Any person registered under the provisions of this Act who changes his place of residence shall, within 28 days thereof, report the change to a registration officer.

Under section 13(1)(b) 'Offences and penalties' of the National Registration Act,
Any person who fails to report his change of residence as required under section 8
shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

Cartoon0512

Reaction score
Under section 8(1)'Change of residence' of the National Registration Act,
Any person registered under the provisions of this Act who changes his place of residence shall, within 28 days thereof, report the change to a registration officer.

Under section 13(1)(b) 'Offences and penalties' of the National Registration Act,
Any person who fails to report his change of residence as required under section 8
shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding $5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 5 years or to both.

Thank you so much .. I always only see the top section but not the below section .. Thank you so much once again . Really appreciated it ..

Genesisz

Master Member
Reaction score
A lot of common folks on the streets are still not aware of this rule or regulation under the National Registration Act.

Cartoon0512

Reaction score
A lot of common folks on the streets are still not aware of this rule or regulation under the National Registration Act.

Ya .. Checked with police n ica officer to confirm that it is an offence not up update address . Had inform police and ica on the guy ..

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Confirm is an offence. After the former owner of my flat moved, I still received letters from govt organisations which obviously shows he has not updated with ICA. If he did, govt org will not be sending his stuff to me any more.

I took photos of all the mail and email to ICA with a screen cap from HDB website showing I am the new owner. Stupid owner act blur and said he forgot.

Shortly after that I got letters addressed to his wife. Here's the best part, he claims the wife lives in M'sia and didn't know she could change her address on NRIC to M'sia. Well then why didn't she change it to his new address? :s8:

People on the run is bad enough, worse is if people use their old NRIC with YOUR address to borrow money.

I feel the law should be more strict. It should state clearly that if you don't change within 3 months of moving, you risk getting jailed.

Cartoon0512

Reaction score
Confirm is an offence. After the former owner of my flat moved, I still received letters from govt organisations which obviously shows he has not updated with ICA. If he did, govt org will not be sending his stuff to me any more.

I took photos of all the mail and email to ICA with a screen cap from HDB website showing I am the new owner. Stupid owner act blur and said he forgot.

Shortly after that I got letters addressed to his wife. Here's the best part, he claims the wife lives in M'sia and didn't know she could change her address on NRIC to M'sia. Well then why didn't she change it to his new address? :s8:

People on the run is bad enough, worse is if people use their old NRIC with YOUR address to borrow money.

I feel the law should be more strict. It should state clearly that if you don't change within 3 months of moving, you risk getting jailed.

Yes , they should be punish .. This guy dare to use his "old" address to borrow money somemore and I believe my mum is not the only victim . Just hope they "catch" him soon ..

Calander

Reaction score
Offences and penalties
13.—(1) Any person who —
(a) is required to register under this Act, or being registered under this Act, is required to re-register under this Act fails to register or re-register within the prescribed time or period;
(b) fails to report his change of residence as required under section 8;
(ba) informs a registration officer of an address as a contact address that is false or is not an address described in section 8(2)(a) or (b);
[19/2001 wef 15/05/2001]
(c) fails to submit, or fails to submit within the time prescribed, such returns as are required to be submitted under section 9;
(d) without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, is in possession of one or more identity cards;
(e) unlawfully deprives any person of an identity card;
(f) fails or refuses to surrender his identity card to the Commissioner as required under section 10(2); or
(g) defaces, mutilates or destroys an identity card,

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/Act/NRA1965#pr13-

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.