HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Straits Times direct subscription Question...

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-02-2012, 11:12 PM   #1

Lightbulb Straits Times direct subscription Question...

I dun quite understand this thing abt direct subscription…..

Why can’t they simply convert everyone to direct subscription since there so many advantages and seemingly NO disadvantages? why is there still a need to give gold bars to entice ??

Also, the vendors have been around for so long…surely there must be something in it for them as well?
hardwarezoner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:00 PM   #2

Anyone got any opinion or idea abt this ??

Anyone got any opinion or idea abt this ??
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
High Supremacy Member

when ppl give u no choice, u make noise. when ppl give u a choice, u oso make noise...
Old 02-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
my3

i've tried both and found the service from using the vendor better than SPH.
1. Under direct subscription: in one year, i have experienced about 8-10 occasions when the papers weren't delivered and when i called SPH, they couldn't do anything about it except to ask me to buy from a nearest new vendor, while they will refund me the costs only at the end of the 1 year period. I have to note the dates where the copies are not delivered.

2. While using the monthly payment to the distributor: there was only 1 occasion when the paper was not delivered and i get the refund at the end of the monthly payment period.
They are also responsive, saying that if i call them before 8am, they would send the replacement within an hour.

On a more philosophical level, I think it is not right of SPH to receive the 2 year's subscription money upfront (without discount to subscribers) while they tendering out the work of distribution to the distributors at dirt cheap rates (through bidding). It is just another case of corporate bullying (the small guys). So that the kind of work is not possible to be done by Singaporeans. U need foreign labour for this! SPH should be employing the labour, put them in on their payroll and they will feel the pain of the work as well as the squeeze on the foreign labour ratio first hand.
This is especially so when they have monopoly. The state should not condone this kind of corporate behaviour.
my3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #5
Supremacy Member

Just wondering, this thread is more like rating boards or eDMW instead of a current affairs.
James Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Greater Supremacy Member

Vendor has better flexibility - ESP when u need to stop the papers with short notice!
jq75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 PM   #7

dun think my question is answered yet... anyone have any answers?
Old 03-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #8
High Supremacy Member

u still dun get it? they cant force u into it cos it violates the contract in principal. they cant just take u away from the vendors and force the vendors out of job. ur contract is with the vendors. therefore they have to give u a choice. if not, multiple parties will just jump at them.

but to them a long term contract would mean cash in hand for them immediately, cos ppl dump in like 24mths fee in one go. d they can use it to invest on wadever sh!t they think is good, may or may not be in the publishing line. so attractive terms for u is based on the more attractive returns they could get from elsewhere with the money u forked out up front.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.