Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Things to take note when quoting from external article/thread

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Greater Supremacy Member

Exclamation Things to take note when quoting from external article/thread

Things to take note when quoting from external article/thread:

1) Please make use of the QUOTE tags to contain the whole of the external article/thread. "External" doesn't mean external to HWZ, even the other sections of HWZ forums are included.

2) Outside the quotes, please also express your opinion clearly on the quoted material, ie dun just post the article here and skoot off. Try to be involved in your own thread's discussion. One-liners are ok, but not along the lines of "Comments anyone?"

3) Acknowledge the source of the article/thread, including the URL if available. Although it is fair use to quote the article/thread for non-profit discussion such as here, please do not claim the article as your own if it isn't. For URL, I understand that it can become unavailable very quickly, so it is ok if the source is clearly stated.

Example is letters from Straits Times Forum that are more than 7 days will not be available for free anymore, but it is ok to just state the source that it's from Straits Times Forum, with the date, so that people can still go to the library if they really want to verify the authenticity of your quoted letter.

Example of a post with quotes:

*URL of quoted article*
*Source of the quoted article, ie name of the newspaper/website/etc, including the section.*

*contents*
*clear opinion*

No mercy for the despicable IBs. We must take the offensive against them.

Mourning Singapore democracy's death due to the presidential election farce.

Closed Thread
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.