Will China ever surpass the US in terms of culture?

wixxxx

Banned
Reaction score
y3JAPCY.jpg

who is the guy in the straw hat? jin satki man :s13:

Ethan_

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is why all the more Jippun should have nukes mah
Think they want have nuke very easy. They already have nuclear power, pushing it further into weapon is just a step for them. Don't forget, technologically they are much more advance then many places. If they were to do weapons, think they would have done it better than many major players in the world. Just that the internationally communities is limiting their potential in that only.

zoossh

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does TS mean "influence' or "soft power' when he mentions culture?

Tiongkok got 5000 (3000?) years of culture.......good or bad.....how can USA even start to surpass that leh.....:s13:

I dun think culture can be compared in that manner and every culture should be respected unless one culture is imposing on the others e.g. Islamic militancy and extremism.

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Isn't that what is happening now,NK running amok

yup, and still japs are not really talking about nukes. this is a good indication about what they want (or dun want).

pretty obvious they are generally not into having nukes, despite the threat from NK. they would prolly want THAAD from usa...

That is why all the more Jippun should have nukes mah

having nukes ish going down to the lvl of brawling with NK. if u rich guy wearing ur nice hugo boss suit, u wanna brawl with beggars?

of cos not, there ish more methods at ur disposal than to limit urself to the beggar's lvl.

Last edited:

orwell76

Greater Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
yup, and still japs are not really talking about nukes. this is a good indication about what they want (or dun want).

pretty obvious they are generally not into having nukes, despite the threat from NK. they would prolly want THAAD from usa...

having nukes ish going down to the lvl of brawling with NK. if u rich guy wearing ur nice hugo boss suit, u wanna brawl with beggars?

of cos not, there ish more methods at ur disposal than to limit urself to the beggar's lvl.

What's the point of being rich when I don't even have nukes.

ArcticCheetah

Banned
Reaction score
Japs will not have nukes.
After WWII Americans have put them under their thumb.
They know Japs when triggered are very powerful and strong so their will limit them.
Even if they have nukes the trigger will be at washington.
But America missed out China in their Nation Suppression Policy

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score
scs has no controversy is about as credible as you have no mother :s22:

you are against china claiming sovereignity taiwan, yet china's controversial claims on scs is based on KMT's (admittedly dubious) claims that predates the formation of PRC. And do you know Taiwan is making the exact same claims as China?

As for Philippines, scs was never part of the territory since the spanish and american era and now they are claiming part of it.

Vietnam supported China's claims on certain parts during the War with the Americans because she needed Chinese support but has since reneged that earlier stance now that the war is over.

Not controversial?

you have demonstrated yourself to be a siaolang with non-mainstream crackpot ideas for several years. No comments about your manners but I have no wish to engage in debate with a lunatic

SCS has no controversy.

even if bananas have no claims, definitely not tiongs. 2 wrongs doesnt make one right.

frenchbriefs

Banned
Reaction score
Ratedg2 is right.

In the modern age, pop culture alone is soft diplomacy and carries immense influence.

Today's kids will grow up to be tomorrow's leaders.

I can't tell you how much bilateral goodwill and influence had been generated by the popularity of Japanese anime, Japanese automobiles, Japanese consumer electronics, and Japanese cuisine in the Western world.

In a short span of 70, 80 years, the Japanese had gone from being depicted as short ugly frog-looking goblins to the pinnacle of advanced culture and refinement in the west!

That's what soft cultural influence can do!

That is also why America is well regarded all around the world today because of their Hollywood movie industry, their pop and rock music industry and their TV program industry. These are cultural exports that wield considerable power and influence.

"Winning hearts and minds," right?

People all over the world who are drawn to American pop culture could care less about the bad things Americans did militarily and their foreign policy.

actually i kinda disagree,actually pop culture and entertainment is more of a luxury and byproduct of rich and well developed countries......look at south korea for example,was korean culture particularly well known during the 60s,70s,80s?south korea was still suffering from the effects of the korean war and was poor and destitute and struggling for survival.....it was only until the late 90s and early 00s when south korea finally came of stature and their gdp per cap finally crossed $20,000 did south korean pop culture and products started to rise in prominence....only when a country becomes wealthy and highly educated do they have more time and resources to devote to pleasuring themselves and develop their entertainment industry.....

same goes for japan,their country was devastated after wwii,but by the 60s,70s and 80s,their country was on the way to becoming one of the wealthiest in the world,thats when japanese products and electronics and entertainment started to become more and more sophisticated and enjoyed international popularity and success.....things like jap cars and nintendo....i believe the earliest form of anime began in the 70s?

thats why i believe this is what restricting russia's pop culture market from achieving greater success,their country is still focused on basics and survival,and domestic consumption and goods was not a focus of the USSR government.....only recently in the 21st century did some russian games and novels started gaining niche popularity in the international community proving that Russia just like any other country like british and france do have potential for pop culture.

another factor i believe that what determines how successful ur pop culture is how heavily u borrow from other cultures.....take the jap for examples....if u look at the history of jap music,u see they are heavily influenced by western music genres....there are tons of jap blues,jazz,pop,rock,electronic music,disco musicians over the decades......look at americans,where did their rock culture orignate from?it came from the british,the beatles,led zeppelin,rolling stones,the animals,yardbirds.where did blues come from,blues originated from african american culture,and disco,and rnb and soul,funk and rap.

china on the other hand had been particularly isolated for the most part of the second half of the 20th century,living in a black hole,suffering from the effects of the cultural revolution,but i believe that will change in time as more and more tiongs gets exposed to international culture,after all most pop culture is an industry designed for the masses it dont take a genius to make pop culture when talentless hacks like alisha and bieber can make it today, cheap chinese products have stolen the heart of the world,from asia to americas to africa,i believe in time higher end chinese products will do the same too.

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
SCS has no controversy.

even if bananas have no claims, definitely not tiongs. 2 wrongs doesnt make one right.
no parties has made any credible case so far

I guess the oil and gas reserves in there is just too tempting for every one

Ethan_

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Think if its just for the O&G, these then are just one upmanship tactics to gain more advantage when final all agree to sit down discuss how to divide up the pie. The more forces one show now, the better one get then. :s22:

ponpokku

Honorary Member
Reaction score

nope, at least msia and brunei ish credible. islands just outside their mainland shorelines niah.

Mancunian2

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nope, at least msia and brunei ish credible. islands just outside their mainland shorelines niah.
malaysia is lame lah. they don't even contest the natuna islands (which lies between peninsula malaysia and borneo) and gave it to the indons, how to expect them to go further?

brunei never has a maritime history, also difficult

rotting@desk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You will wear ?

honestly is really buay pai.
my collegue did made a set when we went there for work previously in Gungzhou.

imho, much better in comparison to Viet workmanship n quality but laggy compared to Thailand

rsiow2

Reaction score
malaysia is lame lah. they don't even contest the natuna islands (which lies between peninsula malaysia and borneo) and gave it to the indons, how to expect them to go further?

brunei never has a maritime history, also difficult

Meh, we have more important things to deal with. Like why we shouldn't have Beerfests :D

cancer81

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
using history for the scs islands is going to be quite tough. Most of the regional powers before regional colonization probably never looked the islands and thought of them as viable territory.

at the end of WW2, all the current claimants were colonies. The US then marked out the 11 dash line and gave the whole thing to the ROC which by then have already retreated to Taiwan....

anyway enough of off topic.

the cultural revolution was a power struggle, when u can't reign in a mob that you have summoned, you get this kind of problem. The escalation could not end and the people who plotted to profit from the instability found themselves with a weapon that was biting them. This and tiananmen square could have toppled the CCP regime. It took the leadership to carefully make changes to avoid what happened to the USSR (eventually dissolution) happening to the PRC.

The China dream is going to be the next roadmap after "gai ge kai fang". If Xi succeeds in cleaning up the corruption and can lay more ground work for his successor, the days of a new regional leader will be on our doorsteps.

Cultural export isn't that farfetched. We have consumed cinema and music from Hong Kong and Taiwan for a very long time. Overseas chinese still have cultural roots in China. The South Koreans viewed their cultural export plans very highly and use it as a vehicle to ensure their exports continue to thrive. Stephen Chow's recent movies are all total PRC productions. The quality of the movies are increasingly higher and higher.

We can't use the Western lens to view China. I feel it is unfair to think of the West as the bastion of freedom when they got plenty of human rights violations and corruption at the highest levels that I feel disgusted that they are so revered for their values.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.