HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone heading to UQ?

Like Tree1973Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2007, 11:41 AM   #16
Arch-Supremacy Member

oh okays cool, so where ya residing right now ?
somewhere in taringa
newkidontheblock likes this.
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #17

my fren stay in a house opposite the colleges and on fri nite u can hear their party music from their house
Ha. Tell me about it. My classmate staying in campus lodge tells me the international house nearby is the most "happening" place to stay in. You can probably just forget about studying if you're staying there. Ha.
justinmicoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #18

haha oh im gonna rent a room at the manors, which is 5mins walk to UQ =) like across the road i heard? haha! im gonna do bsc in sciences (3rd year), wad abt u guys?
joanna.87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 03:12 PM   #19

oh i heard the on campus ones are much more expensive thats why im opting outta it , dun wanna spend so much, hows the bills like tho / like internet and stuff ?
Old 29-04-2007, 08:40 PM   #20

haha oh im gonna rent a room at the manors, which is 5mins walk to UQ =) like across the road i heard? haha! im gonna do bsc in sciences (3rd year), wad abt u guys?
The Manors? Ha. Yet another person staying there? I've passed by the place, viewed the apartment before since i've mates staying there, adequately sized, pretty good security, a swimming pool which i've heard has a drowned victim before, BUT definitely overpriced for me. Personal opinion. How much is it for a week? A$180 a week i suppose? I would say it as overpriced since I'm staying at a place for A$95 dollars a week and having a room bigger than the one offered at Manors.

It's at Sir Fred Schonell drive if i recall correctly. 5mins walk to UQ? Ermm..it's probably like 3 mins walk since it is just across the road.

Bsc in sciences? Are you by any chance doing any biomedical science?
Old 29-04-2007, 09:04 PM   #21

oh i heard the on campus ones are much more expensive thats why im opting outta it , dun wanna spend so much, hows the bills like tho / like internet and stuff ?
Some colleges actually offer meals on all days (eg Union College), that's the reason why it's more expensive. It saves you a lot of time cooking and buying groceries if you dread cooking or find it a waste of time (quite true in some occasions). Meals are quite alright here. Heard breakfast is quite sumptuous: Bread, cereal, bacon, yogurt, fruits, drinks, etc.

Internet is not unlimited here. Usually it's by usage quota meaning to say that there is a limit as to how much u can download; which includes the mb for viewing websites, etc. The quota can range from a few hundred mb to a few gb. I'm paying 35 a month for broadband, inclusive of telephone line.

Water utilities is included in most rent, so most probably you need not worry too much.

Food is typically around A$7-10 dollars here. If you are staying at Manors, you'll probably cook at home or at Hawken Village; a students' typical food haunt 10 minutes walk from school.

Transport shouldnt be a problem for you since you need not take a bus/train/ferry to school. But if you need to travel to the city/suburbs, it's around 1 dollar plus for one way trip.

Entertainment: I dun really do much during weekends, probably eat out once and rarely watch movies here. Movie tickets cost around 8-10 dollars (not confirmed) but hop over to Southbank (near the city)for a movie cos it's only $5.70 on certain days. I'll probably enjoy a meal with my mates at Toowong, Indooroopilly, city more than spending on other stuff here. Ha.

Hope this helps..

Last edited by justinmicoud; 29-04-2007 at 09:09 PM..
Old 29-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #22

heys thanks =) yeahs im having a room at A140 but its fully furnished everything is here! =) im doing pharmacology i guess =) are u in biomed ?
Old 29-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #23

I'll probably enjoy a meal with my mates at Toowong, Indooroopilly, city more than spending on other stuff here. Ha..
oh! you have indeed been heavily influence by the aussie culture!
doinker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #24

oh! you have indeed been heavily influence by the aussie culture!
I supposed you are also influenced by the culture since you've been here for the past 2 years or so?
Old 30-04-2007, 12:22 AM   #25

hi guys,

sorry to intrude like that...but seeing that there are quite a few ppl here in Queensland now...I was wondering what you guys think of the law school at the University of Queensland?

I heard that it is a good law school, if not the best in Brisbane itself. That said, it still cannot match up to the law schools at UNSW and USYD which are perceived as the more prestigious schools.

Last edited by Carbuncle; 30-04-2007 at 12:32 AM..
Carbuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 06:48 AM   #26

hi guys,

sorry to intrude like that...but seeing that there are quite a few ppl here in Queensland now...I was wondering what you guys think of the law school at the University of Queensland?

I heard that it is a good law school, if not the best in Brisbane itself. That said, it still cannot match up to the law schools at UNSW and USYD which are perceived as the more prestigious schools.
I am quite sure that UQ is probably the best in the state of Queensland and not just in Brisbane itself! However having said that, I'm not too sure about comparing with other unis from other states. I've seen and heard that there are a few sg law students here, but don't really know them. Probably the other guys here can lend a helping hand?
Old 30-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #27

accountancy courses in Brisbane

Hi I'm new to this forum,

Just would like to find out what you guys think about biz courses in either UQ or QUT? Will prospective employers (eg. big 4 firms) think highly of UQ/QUT grads? I'm torn between the 2.. QUT cos of its city location and UQ cos there are many singaporeans..

btw, any idea how much it costs to stay in a zone 1 locale? like south bank? or west end? I don't know these places, only heard from friends.
alvina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #28

Hi I'm new to this forum,

Just would like to find out what you guys think about biz courses in either UQ or QUT? Will prospective employers (eg. big 4 firms) think highly of UQ/QUT grads? I'm torn between the 2.. QUT cos of its city location and UQ cos there are many singaporeans..

btw, any idea how much it costs to stay in a zone 1 locale? like south bank? or west end? I don't know these places, only heard from friends.
Personally, I wouldnt choose a university based on just its location or how many fellow singaporeans are studying there. However, having said that, there are quite a number of sg biz students in UQ though, taking either Biz Mgmt or commerce courses here.

Zone 1 will consist of the city, southbank etc. West End is considered Zone 2 if I am not mistaken. West End is pretty near to UQ. A short ferry ride of 3-5mins excluding the waiting time is all it takes to reach UQ. Southbank is separated from the city by one bridge. Don't really know a lot of people staying there, but seems to me like it's quite expensive to stay there since it is quite close to the city. Southbank is nearer to QUT since it is situated right in the city.
Old 30-04-2007, 10:55 PM   #29

UQ / QUT

Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt reply..

I heard in brisbane, UQ and QUT are the more prestigious universities vs. Griffith/CQU etc?
I'm actually quite indifferent between the 2.. any views? What is the cost of pursuing accounting at either institution for the full 3/4 yrs?

I'm prepared to pay up to A$165pw in rent, any good ideas? BTW, is it usually safe? Like what if.. i end up with some weirdos or something? Any recourse?
alvina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #30
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt reply..

I heard in brisbane, UQ and QUT are the more prestigious universities vs. Griffith/CQU etc?
I'm actually quite indifferent between the 2.. any views? What is the cost of pursuing accounting at either institution for the full 3/4 yrs?

I'm prepared to pay up to A$165pw in rent, any good ideas? BTW, is it usually safe? Like what if.. i end up with some weirdos or something? Any recourse?
165? thats alot...

word of advice: dun stay with PRCs...not being racist its juz that i got a few frens giving me they have a bad time staying with them.
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.