HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone heading to UQ?

Like Tree1973Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2007, 11:37 PM   #31

Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt reply..

I heard in brisbane, UQ and QUT are the more prestigious universities vs. Griffith/CQU etc?
I'm actually quite indifferent between the 2.. any views? What is the cost of pursuing accounting at either institution for the full 3/4 yrs?

I'm prepared to pay up to A$165pw in rent, any good ideas? BTW, is it usually safe? Like what if.. i end up with some weirdos or something? Any recourse?
Cost of the degree program? Go check up the respective websites to know more about it. It should give u more details cos the school fees are always changing each year due to hikes. I'm not really into accounting so i cannot give u much info about the course.

If you are referring to 165 pw inclusive of water only, you should have no worries looking for a comfortable accommodation close to uni. However, that applies probably more for UQ. If you're going to stay in the city pursuing a course in QUT, it might be a bit hard.

Usually safe? U mean in campus or with your roommates? I've been here for almost 4 months, nothing drastic has happened to me yet. You have to take care of yourself when you're abroad. Be observant of people around you eg drunkards, etc. I don't see major differences between life here in OZ as compared to Sg. In fact, in some way there are probably slightly better off than sg ppl. Personal opinion.
newkidontheblock likes this.
justinmicoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #32

The State Unis are more prestigious, eg. UQ, UNSW, UWA etc. Was in UQ from 97-99.
lelearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #33
Master Member

I wan to let go of my apartment by july .... located @ south bank

interested. PM me
ah_leetw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #34

Just would like to find out what you guys think about biz courses in either UQ or QUT? Will prospective employers (eg. big 4 firms) think highly of UQ/QUT grads? I'm torn between the 2.. QUT cos of its city location and UQ cos there are many singaporeans..

btw, any idea how much it costs to stay in a zone 1 locale? like south bank? or west end? I don't know these places, only heard from friends.

I heard in brisbane, UQ and QUT are the more prestigious universities vs. Griffith/CQU etc?
I'm actually quite indifferent between the 2.. any views? What is the cost of pursuing accounting at either institution for the full 3/4 yrs?

I'm prepared to pay up to A$165pw in rent, any good ideas? BTW, is it usually safe? Like what if.. i end up with some weirdos or something? Any recourse?
UQ is more theory based while QUT is more pratical/technology based.

Griffith is better known for her design, film, photography programs, etc

CQU has more 'rich' international students. Hardly you will find/see local Aussie students. CQU is like the informatics of sg.

south bank is expensive cos it's just outside the city. west end is not cheap either. my friends are paying about A$130 to A$150 for a fully furnished room in west end, excludes bill.

I'm staying 4 zones away (cos it's nearer to my friends and my dad's and aunt's friend) and I'm paying A$95 everything inclusive, water, electricity, internet, fully furnished as well. But I pay more for travel and spend about 30 mins on travel, but I have classes 3 times a week only so it's ok for me.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 AM   #35

haha.. ok, now, if QUT is more practical than UQ, shouldn't QUT be the natural choice?

btw, what do prospective employers think of Oz grads.. i hate to say this, but i'm only going there because my A levels couldn't make it.

And, where r u guys getting your financing from? What if halfway thru I run out of money, possible to transfer credits back to a sg uni? Is it flexible for accountancy?
alvina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:43 PM   #36

haha.. ok, now, if QUT is more practical than UQ, shouldn't QUT be the natural choice?

btw, what do prospective employers think of Oz grads.. i hate to say this, but i'm only going there because my A levels couldn't make it.

And, where r u guys getting your financing from? What if halfway thru I run out of money, possible to transfer credits back to a sg uni? Is it flexible for accountancy?
I don't see why prospective employers wouldnt take a student with 1st class/2nd upper even though he is from Australia. With a sound attitude and good results, I am quite sure that it should not be a problem. However, prospects for Oz grads in accountancy context I'm not very sure, especially getting into Big4 companies and stuff.

Financing can come from either your relatives, parents etc. Personally, I'm taking a loan from my parents since I'll be here for 2 years for my degree. My personal advice to you if you run out of money:

Please do not even think of coming over first. Settle first and foremost the finance part. Calculate your rough expenditure and school fees for the entire course, consult your parents, decide on whether to take a loan etc. If you cant raise the money, then you will have to consider other alternatives, eg DL programs SIM etc.

It's going to be a huge mess if you decide to stop your studies and return to Sg, eg Visa, your rental bond for your accommodation, bank issues, school issues,etc. I don't know much about transferring credits back to sg uni. It is most likely that you are unable to trasfer credits and start 2nd/3rd year in sg uni.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #37

it is very subjective. theory can be arts, art history, psychology, etc....it's 'better' to do these subjects at UQ while some prefer to do IT, engineering at QUT

besides, not all unis offer the same course. for example, QUT is the only uni in brisbane to offer a degree in health information. this degree is not available at griffith or uq.

i'm paying my uni education on my own. i have a backup though. should i run out of money *touch wood*, i'll borrow from my parents

another option is for you to do acca if you are really keen in accountancy
Old 01-05-2007, 10:02 PM   #38

Hi all, thanks for the prompt replies..

I will keep all your advice in mind, esp the finances part

What if, I do foundation at UQ or QUT.. also no way to transfer credit back to sg? Plus, i heard there's some criteria to apply for Oz PR.. with some courses giving enough points to get PR after 2 yrs. Any idea what these are?

Alternatively, if i want Oz PR w/o staying the 2 yrs in Oz.. how much do i have to come up with? 500k?

And is it easy to find part-time work in Brisbane? like maybe working at a food court or something..
Old 02-05-2007, 11:50 AM   #39

What if, I do foundation at UQ or QUT.. also no way to transfer credit back to sg? Plus, i heard there's some criteria to apply for Oz PR.. with some courses giving enough points to get PR after 2 yrs. Any idea what these are?

Alternatively, if i want Oz PR w/o staying the 2 yrs in Oz.. how much do i have to come up with? 500k?

And is it easy to find part-time work in Brisbane? like maybe working at a food court or something..
I don't think foundation at any Australian Universities would provide any form of transfer credit to sg uni. It just doesnt make much sense that you spend money to do foundation year in Aus Uni and be allowed entry to study in a Sg uni. That's just my opinion. There might be a chance that credits can be transferrred, but I think the chances are extremely slim.

Criteria to apply for Oz PR? Google and search for Australian Immigration website. I've heard that the criteria is subjected to changes from time to time. It should be still based on a point system, whereby certain courses in university would put you in good stead for application of PR. You must attain 120 points if there were no new changes? Getting PR is going to take some time AFTER you graduate from the university, it will take somewhere between 3-6 months, or longer. Meanwhile you are most probably not be eligible for full-time work yet, so basically either you find some part-time work or just rot at home.

Without staying in Oz for a min of 2 yrs, I wouldnt know how much will secure you a PR? As i stated earlier, the immigration website should give more details.

If you are a student studying in Oz uni, you need to apply for a work permit to work here. There is a cap limit on the amount of hours you can work per week. Work here shouldnt be hard to find, since most Oz students here do work part time since they were 16-18. However, I can ensure that most people, including myself dont have enough time to do revision and finish assignments, let alone find time to work and earn extra cash. It is attainable, but I'll rather concentrate solely on my studies.
Old 02-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #40

maybe u can try tafe...it's cheaper...and you can try those 'hot' courses like baking, hairdressing then apply for PR then go to uni...but u will have to check the requirements of applying for PR. but min study is for 2 years before applying for PR.

in my opinion, it's a waste of time and money to study for courses just to apply for PR. u never know when they are going to change their requirements.

maybe u can redo yr A levels if finance is a problem or go to a poly
Old 02-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #41

haha I'm just asking for Oz PR for fun.. i mean, if i can retain my singapore citizenship and have an Oz PR it would definitely be an asset to me.. but if its unduly onerous, then.. guess i'll forget abt it.

As for those of us here who are mere mortals and of lesser means (like me), how did u guys finance your overseas education? Were there like some conditions or performance guarantees that u had to give to your parents?

It just sounds unappetizing if i'm gonna have to ask for 100k or so.. and not be able to offer anything in return la.. so yea, that's my concern..and i wonder how long it takes to pay back that kinda $, at least 10 yrs
Old 02-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #42

haha I'm just asking for Oz PR for fun.. i mean, if i can retain my singapore citizenship and have an Oz PR it would definitely be an asset to me.. but if its unduly onerous, then.. guess i'll forget abt it.

As for those of us here who are mere mortals and of lesser means (like me), how did u guys finance your overseas education? Were there like some conditions or performance guarantees that u had to give to your parents?

It just sounds unappetizing if i'm gonna have to ask for 100k or so.. and not be able to offer anything in return la.. so yea, that's my concern..and i wonder how long it takes to pay back that kinda $, at least 10 yrs
I'll love to retain my singapore citizenship and have an Oz PR, however the thought of waiting for the application of PR here turns me off totally. I am still remaining optimistic though; securing better results whilst my time here would be my foremost priority. PR issue will be resolved later.

For my case, it took a lot of persuasion and convincing to my parents before i was given the green light to go Oz and further my studies. You have to understand that it is no paltry sum of money, so it is understandable that parents are unwilling to finance their children for overseas education, especially since I don't come from a well-to-do family. I don't have any performance guarantees or conditons, there was a mutual understanding with my parents that when i graduate, I'll have to look for a job and start repaying my debt. It'll probably take me something like 5 yrs?

I've friends who take up loans from the banks, at a certain interest rate. They would have to find a job upon graduation cos it is most likely that you are required to start repaying the money once you graduate. There are a number of loan schemes available and what i've mentioned above is probably one of many different schemes the banks are offering.

As I've said, you have to discuss with your parents over this issue. It is your future. Some parents are able to understand their child's strive for further education and willing to support them, while there will be others who find overseas education inferior to our local universities. It really depends.

Personally, I think that it'll be very hard for you to explain to your parents why they must cough out ~100k over a period of 3-4 years for your overseas education, unless you are come from a rather well-to-do family. You should really consider other alternatives before coming to a decision about OZ education.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:09 PM   #43

Hi thanks justin for the extremely prompt replies and being so straightforward.

In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing.. i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.

The fact is, i screwed my A levels, and i'm gonna be using their $ to buy a second chance elsewhere, doesn't feel right la somehow.. unless i can make certain promises that i will be able to keep.

What is your take? Is it really worthwhile to pay $1k a month for the next 10 years or so?
Old 02-05-2007, 10:23 PM   #44

In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing..
this is very subjective and up to individual

i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.
this is not necessarily true

What is your take? Is it really worthwhile to pay $1k a month for the next 10 years or so?
assuming u are 'borrowing' from your parents, and they don't charge interest, are you able to repay $1k every month? assuming that a fresh grad is lucky to get $2.2k a month, after CPF, take home is $1760. after repaying $1k towards the loan, will have $760 left. is $760 sufficient for your own spending and also giving montlhly allowance to your parents? and no more $$$ for savings?

assuming you are borrowing from a bank or financial institution, bear in mind that there's the interest rates as well...it won't be just $1k a month (assuming you want to repay about 100k in 10 years)...besides, banks won't allow you to loan 100k...and even taking 10 years to repay.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #45

Hi thanks justin for the extremely prompt replies and being so straightforward.

In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing.. i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.

The fact is, i screwed my A levels, and i'm gonna be using their $ to buy a second chance elsewhere, doesn't feel right la somehow.. unless i can make certain promises that i will be able to keep.

Superior to local Uni? A lot of people don't really agree with you on that. To a certain extent, I don't really agree with that as well. Some employers also don't think so, but there is nothing we can do about it aint it? Different people just have different opinions about local and overseas universities. Point to note that not all Australian Unis are of a similar standard.

Supposedly you can pay $1k a month, and you start repaying your parents for 10 years or so; personally, I must say that I am unwilling to do so. Reason being the starting pay for a grad (esp accountancy grad in sg) is pretty low. Even if you get into Big4 (that is if), the starting pay i known is very low as well, probably not even in the 2k region i suppose? As the other forumer stated, after all the necessary deductions, are you able to be self-sufficient? I don't think so. It will take you definitely more than 10 years if you are really considering this way out.

I chose to study in an Australian Uni mainly because I can get my honours degree after 2 years. I got exempted from the uni due to my direct relevance undertaken in my Poly. If I was chosen to go to local uni, I'll have to go through 4 years of undergrad studies for the same degree. In a way, I graduate almost 2 years faster than my peers in local university, which means I can start work and repay my debt. I'll do a simple breakdown of the costs between local and overseas uni, though it might not be of direct relevance to you.

Local Uni:

School fees: Sg 7000 x 4 yrs = Sg 28,000
Expenses: Sg 300 x 4 yrs x 12 months = Sg 14,400

Total: Sg 42,400

Overseas (Oz) Uni:

School fees: A 22000 x 2 yrs = A 44,000
Expenses: A 10000 x 2 yrs = A 20,000

Total: A 64,000

The above expenditure calculation is really a very rough estimate. It is just for comparison purposes.

So, the difference is around 30k when u convert Aud back to Sgd. The amount seemed staggering, but consider the fact that you graduate 2 years faster, you can repay $1000 x12 = $12,000 a year. In 2 years, you might be able to repay back $24,000, with a bonus of ~2 years work experience than your peers!

Having said all this, I know it doesnt really applies to you. It's just to give a slightly optimistic view of overseas studies. In your case, it will be at a major disadvantage since you won't be able to finish your degree earlier than your peers. That's why I said it is not really "worth" it, if I were to be in your shoes.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.