HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone heading to UQ?

Like Tree1973Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #46

this is very subjective and up to individual

this is not necessarily true

assuming u are 'borrowing' from your parents, and they don't charge interest, are you able to repay $1k every month? assuming that a fresh grad is lucky to get $2.2k a month, after CPF, take home is $1760. after repaying $1k towards the loan, will have $760 left. is $760 sufficient for your own spending and also giving montlhly allowance to your parents? and no more $$$ for savings?

assuming you are borrowing from a bank or financial institution, bear in mind that there's the interest rates as well...it won't be just $1k a month (assuming you want to repay about 100k in 10 years)...besides, banks won't allow you to loan 100k...and even taking 10 years to repay.
Totally agree with you. No savings mean I won't have enough money to get married! Sigh.

Multiple loans with other banks might help to raise the amount, not sure about that. But seriously not recommended.
newkidontheblock likes this.
justinmicoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #47

What is your take? Is it really worthwhile to pay $1k a month for the next 10 years or so?
for your case, it's not that 'worthwhile'. you will have to do 3 years of study in aus. assuming you are coming to Brisbane, the fees at QUT is approximately AUD16000/yr while at Griffith it's AUD13860.

for me, it's worthwhile cos:

if i study in sg...at nafa or lasalle, it will be for 3 years. i'm doing 2 years here in brisbane. the uni i'm at is reputable for design related disclipines.

at nafa or lasalle, i will have to pay approx SGD15000 X 3 years + 5% GST = SGD47250

i'm paying AUD17580 for 8 subjects. i have to do 14 subjects which cost AUD30765. i changed my money at the rate of $1.2 when i came over...so AUD30765 is approx SGD36918 which is about $10k cheaper than if i study in sg...plus i save one year in duration.

you can consider this option...http://www.saa.org.sg/en/general/course_diploma.php
offered by the singapore accountancy academy...after that transfer to on-campus at UQ.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #48

Hi, thanks all for the very prompt replies once again.

Yea, it does seem that the Oz education system is much more flexible towards poly students than A level students, which is far from appetizing with regards to the costs involved and the time wasted.

But frankly, i think most singaporeans would find it rather humbling to go to a poly, MDIS or other commercial schools, even SIM after A levels.. its like as though the stigma sticks with me throughout life, unless i can somehow outperform my peers at the workplace.. but without the premier education branding, many employers may not even be willing to give me a chance (eg. the big 4 firms, or an investment bank).

Surely there must be an intrinsic appeal of an overseas university that gave u guys out there in Oz that boost to take the leap of faith to go over, especially for those whose finances are not really settled yet..
alvina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #49

But frankly, i think most singaporeans would find it rather humbling to go to a poly, MDIS or other commercial schools, even SIM after A levels.. its like as though the stigma sticks with me throughout life, unless i can somehow outperform my peers at the workplace.. but without the premier education branding, many employers may not even be willing to give me a chance (eg. the big 4 firms, or an investment bank).

Surely there must be an intrinsic appeal of an overseas university that gave u guys out there in Oz that boost to take the leap of faith to go over, especially for those whose finances are not really settled yet..
it's not true. i had friends who have done one year of JC and decided to switch to poly. in my course at poly, i had classmates who have complete A levels and didn't do well enuff to go to uni...i even had classmates who already have a diploma n doing a 2nd diploma

i had friends who got into the big 4 with a poly dip and then continue to do acca or degree part-time. i have an ex-classmate who did A levels, then went to poly and now at UBS

there are some courses at poly that allow A levels holders to enter at the 2nd year

don't let others judge you. it's you who's judging yourself
Old 05-05-2007, 10:34 AM   #50

Hi, thanks all for the very prompt replies once again.

Yea, it does seem that the Oz education system is much more flexible towards poly students than A level students, which is far from appetizing with regards to the costs involved and the time wasted.

Poly students were given exemptions because there is not much significiance going through the first two years in university when they have actually covered such modules in their previous institutions. It is not flexibility. JC students, if given exemptions like poly students are surely not going to make it in 3rd year university without any foundations. I understand Singaporeans are very eager not to "waste time" and hope to finish their studies asap, but it defeats the whole purpose because we are pursuing tertiary education to "learn" and accquire skills and knowledge, which will utimately puts us in good stead for the workforce upon graduation.

I dun think most singaporeans find it humbling to go private or poly. Honestly speaking, I think it is probably a minority like you who are having this perception. Think of it this way, if you cant get an education overseas, what other choices do you have? You must be realistic with what you have now, and not desire of what you need.

The truth is that you did badly for your As, and even if the local uni offer u a place in accountancy, you will most probably not do well in it anyway.(although there might be a slight chance you will). If you still find private institutions insulting, retake your As and hopefully progress through local uni again. Or take ACCA and do well in it. It's globally recognised and would be able to secure you an accounting job.

I don't know about other people, but personally, I wouldnt even think of flying over to Oz if the finance factor is not settled.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:54 PM   #51
Master Member

Hi all, thanks for the prompt replies..

I will keep all your advice in mind, esp the finances part

What if, I do foundation at UQ or QUT.. also no way to transfer credit back to sg? Plus, i heard there's some criteria to apply for Oz PR.. with some courses giving enough points to get PR after 2 yrs. Any idea what these are?
Foundation courses are at most "AO" Lvl standard nia, the chances of entering with NUS/NTU tt cert is very slim, let alone trasfer of credits.
Seikirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:58 AM   #52

Hi!

Hi guys! I'm also considering heading to UQ this coming Sem 2 to do Hotel and Tourism Management. Would be on some partial scholarship if i do go there, it's nowhere near covering my tuition fees and living expenses though.

I've got a few concerns though. I think like most people, i'm kinda worried if the qualifications I get from OZ(UQ) would be recognized, say maybe in the sg employment scene. Would it happen to diminish my employment prospects as compared to if i take a course at nus/ntu? Another thing i need you guys' help in confirming is if on-campus accomodation or off-campus would be better for starters. I would most probably be heading there alone, in the event that i go to UQ.

By the way, I'm also an A lvls student. Didn't screw up my As though. Just considering whether to stay local or go in search of greener pastures.

Appreciate your help guys!

Anyways Alvina87, i'm thinking could you be the alvina I know? I'll leave you a pm.
afrodiziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #53

Hi guys! I'm also considering heading to UQ this coming Sem 2 to do Hotel and Tourism Management. Would be on some partial scholarship if i do go there, it's nowhere near covering my tuition fees and living expenses though.

I've got a few concerns though. I think like most people, i'm kinda worried if the qualifications I get from OZ(UQ) would be recognized, say maybe in the sg employment scene. Would it happen to diminish my employment prospects as compared to if i take a course at nus/ntu? Another thing i need you guys' help in confirming is if on-campus accomodation or off-campus would be better for starters. I would most probably be heading there alone, in the event that i go to UQ.

By the way, I'm also an A lvls student. Didn't screw up my As though. Just considering whether to stay local or go in search of greener pastures.

Anyways Alvina87, i'm thinking could you be the alvina I know? I'll leave you a pm.
I cant comment much about the academic aspects but for accommodation issues, probably I can help you out a bit.

For starters, it might be advisable to stay on-campus accommodation, i.e colleges. You will probably share a house with other students including local aussie mates. Some colleges will provide food for every meal, thus reducing the hassle of cooking, cleaning up kitchen area, etc. But note that such you will definitely have to pay more. In addition, since it is your first time flying over to UQ, you might be unfamilar getting around places. Colleges are located within the campus itself, so you don't have to worry much about how to get to school. Security is also pretty alright in almost all colleges. It might be advisable to take up a one semester bond, i.e half-yearly bond. If you find prospective roommates or alternative accommodation, you are free to move house after one semester. If you're happy with the college, you are most welcome to extend the lease to another semester.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #54
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi, i have some experience as a recruiter, maybe i can answer your question. UQ w/o a doubt is a good school in OZ... and is definitely recognized in Singapore. However, employers do not view overseas degree and DL degree much differently... (with the exception of say oxford, imperial college or even ANU)... sadly, they will prefer local graduates... but prospect wise, no worry.. it's there...

The importance of going overseas is gaining experience and exposure, cherish the chance most don't
Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #55

Hi, i have some experience as a recruiter, maybe i can answer your question. UQ w/o a doubt is a good school in OZ... and is definitely recognized in Singapore. However, employers do not view overseas degree and DL degree much differently... (with the exception of say oxford, imperial college or even ANU)... sadly, they will prefer local graduates... but prospect wise, no worry.. it's there...

The importance of going overseas is gaining experience and exposure, cherish the chance most don't
Wow, you speak from my mind. Haha.
GoodestBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #56
Arch-Supremacy Member

omg with all the talk about the tuition fees, i juz realized how screwed i am...
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:24 AM   #57

Pardon my ignorance but what does DL degrees stand for?

So the myth that sg employers would prefer a local graduate over an overseas graduate is sadly true?

Given my scenario what would you guys do? Stay local or go over to UQ?
afrodiziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #58

Pardon my ignorance but what does DL degrees stand for?
DL = distance learning

So the myth that sg employers would prefer a local graduate over an overseas graduate is sadly true?
would an employer prefer a harvard grad or nus grad?

would an employer prefer a nus grad or someone from mahidol university or uni of mel, uni of queensland, etc?

in the past, there's no nursing degree in sg...so those who are interested in nursing will have to go overseas.

there's still no radiography, physiotherapy, occupational therapy degrees offered at nus, ntu and smu, so therefore again have to go overseas for these degrees

whether an employer prefers local grad or overseas grad is very subjective. really depends on your luck during the job search process
Old 07-05-2007, 11:47 AM   #59

DL = distance learning

would an employer prefer a harvard grad or nus grad?

would an employer prefer a nus grad or someone from mahidol university or uni of mel, uni of queensland, etc?

in the past, there's no nursing degree in sg...so those who are interested in nursing will have to go overseas.

there's still no radiography, physiotherapy, occupational therapy degrees offered at nus, ntu and smu, so therefore again have to go overseas for these degrees

whether an employer prefers local grad or overseas grad is very subjective. really depends on your luck during the job search process
Especially true for the highlighted courses. UQ is quite reputable in these courses. Even top a level students come over here on scholarship to take up such courses. I mean top as in HCJC scholars.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #60

Hi guys..

I understand that even for the Aussies themselves, those in OP1 (whatever that is), go to courses like vet sci, optometry, radiology, physio etc etc.. so of course those are recognised in Sg.. how about for international students? Will the criteria be easier? Although, a singaporean of a lower academic capability will also find it hard surviving in these courses..

And also, these courses are exceptionall expensive? Cos they are medical in nature?
alvina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.