HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Anyone heading to UQ?

Like Tree1977Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2007, 03:49 PM   #61

Hi guys..

I understand that even for the Aussies themselves, those in OP1 (whatever that is), go to courses like vet sci, optometry, radiology, physio etc etc.. so of course those are recognised in Sg.. how about for international students? Will the criteria be easier? Although, a singaporean of a lower academic capability will also find it hard surviving in these courses..

And also, these courses are exceptionall expensive? Cos they are medical in nature?
They should be much more expensive because of the facilities and equipment used. Just ask lycans cos he is studying vet science in UQ. Was it his school fees or his total expenditure around A$50k a year? Plus the course lasting 5-6 years, you can do the calculations.

Criteria? I know that for medicine, you are required to do a GMAT or something, like an entry test? (not 100% sure). I really don't think the criteria for medicine will be anything different from other uni around the world.
newkidontheblock likes this.
justinmicoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 PM   #62
Arch-Supremacy Member

Hi guys..

I understand that even for the Aussies themselves, those in OP1 (whatever that is), go to courses like vet sci, optometry, radiology, physio etc etc.. so of course those are recognised in Sg.. how about for international students? Will the criteria be easier? Although, a singaporean of a lower academic capability will also find it hard surviving in these courses..

And also, these courses are exceptionall expensive? Cos they are medical in nature?
the only hard part is getting in... and yes they are very expensive but i dunno why, maybe they juz take international students as carrot head
lycans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:09 PM   #63

So i guess the general rationale for going over instead of staying local would be if the intended course of study is not offered in sg of if the uni is particularly well-known in that specific field? Of of course if the overseas uni in mention is of harvard standard la.

It seems like prospective employability would be very subjective.

Shiakz, no closer to making a decision.
afrodiziak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #64

the only hard part is getting in... and yes they are very expensive but i dunno why, maybe they juz take international students as carrot head
Well.. at least, u have the cash to be carrot head At 50k per year, that works out to be 250k! which is like the value of my house!!

So.. the fact remains that, for those less stringent courses.. the employability among singapore bosses is still lower than that of the local u? Could it be that the bosses are local grads themselves that's y? haha
alvina87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #65

i know someone doing optometry at qut, also a fellow hwzoner

anyway, he's smart. but here, he's not liking it. during breaks, his classmates are also studying, reading their notes. and they hardly 'socialize' with the asians. all these little things add up together and you won't find studying here pleasant. he scored 60% for a test and it's consider 'good' by sg standards, but his classmates are scoring 80% on average and they hardly put in much effot
Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 PM   #66

They should be much more expensive because of the facilities and equipment used. Just ask lycans cos he is studying vet science in UQ. Was it his school fees or his total expenditure around A$50k a year? Plus the course lasting 5-6 years, you can do the calculations.

Criteria? I know that for medicine, you are required to do a GMAT or something, like an entry test? (not 100% sure). I really don't think the criteria for medicine will be anything different from other uni around the world.

WHOA! study vet so ex one meh? 50k a year.... how much is lycan paying for tuition fees alone?
doinker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #67

WHOA! study vet so ex one meh? 50k a year.... how much is lycan paying for tuition fees alone?
Surprised that you woke up so early today....
Old 08-05-2007, 05:40 PM   #68
Arch-Supremacy Member

32k for 2 semester school fees

living frugally for 10 months @ 8-10k

total is around 40-42k AUD , convert to sgd should be around 49-50k
Old 08-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #69

32k for 2 semester school fees

living frugally for 10 months @ 8-10k

total is around 40-42k AUD , convert to sgd should be around 49-50k
that is the fees they quote you 2-3years ago? now to enrol it will be what? 35k for 2 semester? damn kick man!
doinker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #70
Arch-Supremacy Member

that is the fees they quote you 2-3years ago? now to enrol it will be what? 35k for 2 semester? damn kick man!
erm no...that is the sch fees now...

2-3yrs ago was around 30k but every year they increase price becoz howard govt cut fundings to uni

its 32k for 2 sem...2 sem is 1 yr long...1 sem itself cost 16k
Old 08-05-2007, 08:02 PM   #71

Will the school fees be locked in the moment you enrol like in the SG unis? Or will there be school fees risks too? Wow.. interest rate risk, FOREX risk and if there's school fees risk, that's gonna be unmanageable haha

Lycans, give me some tips to get by cheaply in Oz? How to like on A$500 a month if rent is already like A$400?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:06 PM   #72
Arch-Supremacy Member

Will the school fees be locked in the moment you enrol like in the SG unis? Or will there be school fees risks too? Wow.. interest rate risk, FOREX risk and if there's school fees risk, that's gonna be unmanageable haha

Lycans, give me some tips to get by cheaply in Oz? How to like on A$500 a month if rent is already like A$400?
good qn, i never asked them that...muz go ask tomorow but i think its locked the moment we enrol but i not sure
depends on where u stay...

if rent cost 400, then u got to factor in utilities, food, transport, misc...add another 500 dollars...but some places are more ex like in sydney , melbourne

Last edited by lycans; 08-05-2007 at 08:12 PM..
Old 08-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #73

Lycans, what type of rent r u paying for your place in brisbane?

As for the FOREX risks, how r u guys managing it? Now that A$ is so strong!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #74

The conversion was quite good a few months back. I've asked my parents to convert sg to au dollars but they refused. I've heard that it is now quite bad. Sigh. Take note of the currency market and if the rate is real low jus change. I brought sufficent bankdraft amounts to last me a whole year in Oz.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #75
Arch-Supremacy Member

i work abit giving tuition for biology classes for the uni...

i pay about 440 a month, weekly about 110+
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.