Anyone heading to UQ?

Zetta83

Master Member
Reaction score
silviachef said:
Freedom is priceless. Being locked up in Sg will simply make you ignorant of a better life out there.

Fresh veg increased abt 25%. Meat is still stable for me. Lambshank is pretty cheap, unless u prefer the cream de la cream.... the racks.

If u need help in finding cars, I can help. Be it 650cc to V8, turbo or supercharged. I'm a car person. Infact I love old cars. They are so much fun thou they lack the brand new comforts. Give me a brand new Aurion and I still prefer my good old 17yrs old Nissan. :p
Ok, will be ready for the price difference. Lamb shanks, marinated in olive oil, rosemary, cheap red wine and a dash of pepper/salt is good enough for me. On the grill? A glaze of honey, yummy. The fats really bring out the taste and a good crisp. I can live with the cheapest cut of any meat, cos I'm not a fussy eater. Cannot afford tenderloin, go for sirloin lor. haha. No $$$ for seasonings, salt and pepper will do.

Thanks for the offer, will look for you if I need help. For now, it's scenic walks when I get there. BTW, what do you consider as a good and cheap ride? I'm new to cars. And what are the payments and procedures? Thanks.

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There's no such thing as cheap and good. But it does not means being ex is good. It's a matter or budget, choice, preference and luck. Well, walks here are never scenic to me at all.

IF you can afford, get a newer 2nd hand car. Might set u back abt 10-15k. Of cos, gettin a 5k car is not too bad as well, however being abt old, repair might cost u an arm or leg if you are suay.

I have friends driving hyundai excel with no major prob thou the car is abt 10yrs old. But there is the normal wear and tear. Brake pads, exhaust, timin belts,.... small probs nothing to worry abt.

My best mate drives a brand new BMW 325 and it's been back to the service centre for some crap issues. So it's really luck when it comes to buyin a 2nd hand car.

I wanted to get a toyota Echo last year as a daily ride cos it saves petrol and I can chuck my Silvia aside for more serious mod/con. But a small car does not suit me.

I've been drivin my faithful 17yo Silvia for 3 years. So far she's been a good gal. I just rebuilt my engine with new forged pistons, silicon timing belt,water pump, radiator, exhaust. Doing my brake replacement and 5k engine oil change in 2 wks time. I'm thinkin of doing a Tomei engine conversion within 2 years as my project car for Autosalon. I'm a street car person.

PAyment could be 1 time payment or installments. I never did installment b4.. so I'm not sure. Beside it's more ex with the interest.

Fish, yr ride ran 132k.... Has the previous owner changed the timing belt @ 100k? If you need a reliable mechanic, I can intro a good man to you. Honest and reliable. Go slow man. Cops with their flashy radars are always out there.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
got any healthy and easy to make recipe to share? i am noob at cooking :o

fishbuff

Suspended
Reaction score
silviachef said:
Fish, yr ride ran 132k.... Has the previous owner changed the timing belt @ 100k? If you need a reliable mechanic, I can intro a good man to you. Honest and reliable. Go slow man. Cops with their flashy radars are always out there.

yes please. nah, im an old man here. cant drive fast at all.

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lycans said:
got any healthy and easy to make recipe to share? i am noob at cooking :o

White pporridge? Seriously, wat would u like to know? Wat kind of food you wanna whip up?

There are so many healthy stuffs out there. from cakes to steaks.

Last edited:

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The mech is @ Watland St, Springwood.

How slow is slow man? I'm old too, sirty somemore. To me, abiding by the street legal speed limit means cornering at that speed :p damn... I need a stiffer springs,

doinker07

Reaction score
why are ppl boosting about their cars and house. if that is your topic of interest, please post it in "lifestyle" forum. bear in mind that this forum is do give advice to students coming to UQ.

Last edited:

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
doinker07 said:
why are ppl boosting about their cars and house. if that is your topic of interest, please post it in "lifestyle" forum. bear in mind that this forum is do give advice to students coming to UQ.

I sense sour cream... How much did you pay for it@ Coles?

This is an internet forum which is open to any informative postings. If you are unhappy with the postings here, jolly well STFU and piss off, biatch.

If coming to UQ/QUT/GU only restrict to the informations regarding the respective unis, then you should just stay the **** in SG and be a frog at the bottom of the well.

If I stay in Manors or along Carmody Rd, does that means that I'm within the UQ "boudaries"? I could be working in the city or Browns Plains but yet I stay within 5mins walk to the main bus-stop of UQ.

Students can't think abt gettin a car and knowin good mechanic who does not rip ppl off? Can't know anything abt PR or properties? Can't know abt good food ard here?

You are such a sorry lame arse farkhead.

PS: by the way, it's not boosting. It should be boasting aka "how lian". Go read some English, kiddo. Boosting is meant for automotive engines i.e. turbos... And it's not "do give advice", should be "to give advice". U sure your English standard good enough for UQ standard?

doinker07

Reaction score
silviachef said:
I sense sour cream... How much did you pay for it@ Coles?

This is an internet forum which is open to any informative postings. If you are unhappy with the postings here, jolly well STFU and piss off, biatch.

If coming to UQ/QUT/GU only restrict to the informations regarding the respective unis, then you should just stay the **** in SG and be a frog at the bottom of the well.

If I stay in Manors or along Carmody Rd, does that means that I'm within the UQ "boudaries"? I could be working in the city or Browns Plains but yet I stay within 5mins walk to the main bus-stop of UQ.

Students can't think abt gettin a car and knowin good mechanic who does not rip ppl off? Can't know anything abt PR or properties? Can't know abt good food ard here?

You are such a sorry lame arse farkhead.

PS: by the way, it's not boosting. It should be boasting aka "how lian". Go read some English, kiddo. Boosting is meant for automotive engines i.e. turbos... And it's not "do give advice", should be "to give advice". U sure your English standard good enough for UQ standard?

Of cos you have your freedom of speech and I agree with you that this is an internet forum which is open to informative postings, but do it at the right place.

You are lucky to have experienced overseas education, you should be giving advice to future or current students which will help them settle down in Brisbane, and this should include topics on accommodation, registration to Uni, tuition fees or even your studying experiences during your uni days. Does your topic of you preparing for autoshow fit into this? Does commenting that you suspect david of scratching your car an informative posting? Or your frens doing burnouts and doughnuts at manors a useful fact? It is obvious that in your post, you are trying to make use of every opportunity to talk about your car. I am not sure who you are trying to impress here, maybe you should try www.iknowcarsforum.com. You might get a better response there. Or even start your own thread in EDMW and name it “My mod silvia in Brisbane.”

You dun have to be fierce or use coarse language. My English might not be as perfect as yours, in fact I almost fail English during Sec days, but your latest post just demonstrated how educated you are.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
silviachef said:
White pporridge? Seriously, wat would u like to know? Wat kind of food you wanna whip up?

There are so many healthy stuffs out there. from cakes to steaks.
hmm, i am rather frugal so i like things simple and healthy.

i am thinking of cooking chicken mostly coz its quite cheap. then followed with vegetables

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
aiyah nvm lah...when ppl genuinely wanna ask about UQ stuff we will share our knowledge, if no 1 ask then we juz tok about mundane daily stuff loh...

no need to be so uptight about things and create so many threads for wat?

justinmicoud

Reaction score
lycans said:
aiyah nvm lah...when ppl genuinely wanna ask about UQ stuff we will share our knowledge, if no 1 ask then we juz tok about mundane daily stuff loh...

no need to be so uptight about things and create so many threads for wat?
I can feel that the moderator will come and shut off this thread which was ideally supposed to be a thread for new students coming to UQ. Creating another thread might be a better idea. Just like the one petetherock did for NSW/Sydney. I thought it was a great idea.

Zetta83

Master Member
Reaction score
Students of UQ,QUT,JCU or GU needs info on:

Transport : Cars, bike, bus rides, trains, bicycle, walks (everything about it)
Food: Buy or cook.
Accom: Buy, rent, reseller.

So on a whole, I still feel that these topics brought up are related to students in brisbane.

kingkangkong

Reaction score
Hi,

just wondering, does anyone have a room to let near st lucia campus?

am interested. please PM with details

TIA =]

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
doinker07 said:
Of cos you have your freedom of speech and I agree with you that this is an internet forum which is open to informative postings, but do it at the right place.
I think I've posted in many previous "Coming to UQ/QUT/GU" threads that they can mesg me if they need help in anything. From accomd to bankin to gettin cars. If you have never seen them before, don't come and act as if that ya the enforcer ard here. So far, I've been helpin new SG ppl coming here for studies or tour with whatever info I can cuss out at them.

What does my studyin exp gotta do with current UQ students? Wat I did in UQ-EE is no longer as relevent as now, as they started changin from 2004 onwards. Wat I did in 02, current ppl might no longer be doing. What they do now, I don't have a clue abt. Anyone doing Elec 2004, Comp 1300, Java 1500, Elec 3300/3400, Maths2000, Math2010, Stat 2010 @ UQ??? My tuiton fees in 2002 was 8400 for 8 units. So do you guys doing engine feel the pinch now? Rent for 1 rm in Manors was 90-100 in 02, now it's probably 170 on avg. TS, don't you feel that you are payin almost double of what I paid??

Guys or gals who enjoy Initial D might probably wanna pop over to Autosalon and have a look at cars. It's part of the Brisbane culture in Sept. If I talk abt Ekka, which is being held next month, does that means that I'm digressing from the topic? There's the Adultshow in Feb, Indy in Oct, Riverfireworks in Aug. Your mindset is truly narrower than the back alley Kong Seik Street.

David might be the 1 who scratched my car or it could be others who might still be living in the Manors. So potential car owners in Manors, pls do be careful. Burnout, scandinavian flicks, watever... If any intl students got trashed by eggs as a form of hate crime, while walkin along Sir Fred SD... is that part of being not realted to coming to UQ?

I'm not fierce and if **** is vulgar to you, then wat is this in comparison to SAF??? I'm just defendin my PoV. Perhaps you will find that when white aussies shout," **** off asians." at you, u might not be able to take it and wanna call you mumy on the line and complain to her. Info abt my ride is already @ NS.com.

Do you know what will happen to most engines if the timing belt snapped? You gotta spend 2-6k just to rebuid the engine. I'm tellin Fishbuff, just to be safe than sorry. He got a family to support, I'll try to give good lobangs. I belive it's SIC. Warning abt radars is part of helpin each other out or is it not?

Should I give out recipes abt making cakes to potential UQ students coming here, is it part of UQ, even thou it's not related to UQ?

You wan pure UQ advice? Nah I can't do that. I'm more of a general info kind of person.

How educated I am, is truly my concern. Well, I'm just a chef here. You might think I'm a dropout from PSLE/UQ or VITB lao beng. Watever. Think whatever you want from within your SG mindset.

PS: I'm sorry if I've hijacked your personal thread or offended your mindset of thoughts.

Cheers mate.

Last edited:

silviachef

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
lycans said:
hmm, i am rather frugal so i like things simple and healthy.

i am thinking of cooking chicken mostly coz its quite cheap. then followed with vegetables

Chicken.. so many ways to make it.

Easiest : Mariante with teriyak or watever sauce you like, for 2-3 days, Grill it, leave the skin on as the oil ozzin out with grillin releases the flavour. U can get rid of the skin later.

Cook abt 4mins/side on med- medhigh flame. Fo chicken it gotta be 101% cooked as raw chicken is not good for health. But do not overcook it. If you are not sure, poke a fork into the meat, if clear juice comes out, it's ready.

Chicken maryland is cheap, 1 dollar/piece. I'll marinated with the Asian Home Gourmet Thai Kai Yang flavour. Grill in oven as the heat is enclosed. Abt 30min should be good.

Chicken Kiev is good for oven grill or pan fry. U can do those ang moh restaurant style chicken main course but even to me, it's a hassle.

Zetta83

Master Member
Reaction score
silviachef said:

Easiest : Mariante with teriyak or watever sauce you like, for 2-3 days, Grill it, leave the skin on as the oil ozzin out with grillin releases the flavour. U can get rid of the skin later.

Cook abt 4mins/side on med- medhigh flame. Fo chicken it gotta be 101% cooked as raw chicken is not good for health. But do not overcook it. If you are not sure, poke a fork into the meat, if clear juice comes out, it's ready.

Chicken maryland is cheap, 1 dollar/piece. I'll marinated with the Asian Home Gourmet Thai Kai Yang flavour. Grill in oven as the heat is enclosed. Abt 30min should be good.

Chicken Kiev is good for oven grill or pan fry. U can do those ang moh restaurant style chicken main course but even to me, it's a hassle.
Oh... I'm hungry now and it's your fault.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
silviachef said:

i've copied this to my note pad...

this is seriously useful info for ppl coming to aussie, since not everyone is good at cooking can learn a few tips on cooking for urself n save $$$...not to mention its healtheir too

doinker07

Reaction score
Dear Silvachef

Your long essay did take me awhile to digest. Well… I have to agree with you, some of the comments you pointed out were pretty interesting. I thought the event calendar was pretty useful for new QLD students. It does give them ideas as to where to chill out.

There are some points which I still dun see eye to eye. I am really “impressed” with the way you tried to link your frens doing burnouts and doughnuts with international students being abused. Are you trying to say that international students are targets of your frens? Or international students have to thank your friends for the introductory abuse system in Aus? Doesn’t make much sense.

Secondly your reasoning for being vulgar is because you were trained in SAF, are you saying it gives you the right to behave like a barbarian. AGAIN…. You tried to link it with your act of kindness of giving us an introductory lesson. Your arguments are ironic and irrelevant, you are just deceiving yourself.

Giving fishbuff advice on his car is definitely helping each other. Does it have to go to the extend of you boasting the amazing mods you did to your car and wat not? Hmm… rather interesting when you relate them together. Why dun you approach it differently and just admit you are proud of your achievement. Probably that will sound more humble and achieve your goal of impressing ppl.

Here comes my petty argument. Please bear in mind that you were the one who commented on my education right from the start and I agreed that my english language was not strong. I only simply commented on your use of coarse language and you shot me back accusing I look down on you. BRAVO! A good counter from you!

I seriously think you have to do an ego check on yourself. You are the one who has a mindset which does not allow criticism. Wonder who has a SG mindset!?!?!

This argument is heading nowhere except towards petty and nonsensical ones. This will probably be my last post on this issue. You may carry on with your job of being MR MOD EXPERT and I wish you all the best.

Keep the recipes coming. I am bored of eating indo mee already.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.