HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bad A level results..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2016, 11:45 PM   #16

Hi guys I've gotten my A level results.

My Math is C, Chemistry E, Physics E..
H1 econs B..

Any idea where I could go.. I'm pretty lost right now..

Areospace in SIT or Banking and finance in SIMGE???
UAS 62.5 has limited course choices but is still possible. This is assuming that you have B for PW and E for GP.
photobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:51 PM   #17

If "A" Levels no good... can explore other options like overseas uni (Australia) or local private uni (SIM etc.) Overseas university not as difficult to enter compared to local uni, but do factor costs of studying and living abroad.

If "A" Levels not too good... but your CCA records are good, you can still try to apply for NUS/NTU. NTU higher chance, I have friends who got in through good CCA records and Essay submission. Even so, their grades were not too bad, missed the advertised cutoff slightly.

For army scholarship which works like most scholarships, sad to say... they'll look more at your grades than your actual performance. Assuming your grade are not stellar, chances are almost nil for merit and SAFOS. Best shot would be LSA, but even so you would need to have a placement in a local uni. I know an encik who went for course at SIM courtesy of SAF.

All the best for your upcoming results
LSA will stand a better chance if your grades aren't good but you signed on as officer. But then to use LSA, the local unis must offer you a place first.

SMU has discretionary admissions of 10% refer to their admissions website.

Last edited by photobuff; 04-03-2016 at 11:56 PM..
photobuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #18

UAS 62.5 has limited course choices but is still possible. This is assuming that you have B for PW and E for GP.
Thanks for the reply, I got CEE/B, GP D, PW B, CL D.
Would I be a to go into local uni?

If yes is it better for me to go any course in local uni or better courses like economics or Banking and finance by private like simge??

Last edited by bl4hpkno0b; 05-03-2016 at 08:35 AM..
bl4hpkno0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:09 AM   #19

I got
P D
C D
M E

E B
GP B
PW C
I got leadership in cca and cip

Got chance to enter NTU most unpopular courses?
stressfulbananamilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #20

Hi i need some advice too. Got CCC/B (B for PW, B for GP, A for MT). Do you think I can make it into any business course in local U? or perhaps Economics?
idkanymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:59 AM   #21

Hi i need some advice too. Got CCC/B (B for PW, B for GP, A for MT). Do you think I can make it into any business course in local U? or perhaps Economics?
You can check the respective websites of the local Unis under 'Indicative Grade Point Profile' to check on the cut-off. Most of Unis cut-off at around ABB for H2 subjects which is at least 78 points. The Opens House Events are this weekend and next, you can go down and confirm with them at the Talks.

You can try the private Schools. For example, the University of Adelaide which is in the Group of Eight Universities and ranked in the top 1% globally, the cut-off for Bacelor of Comerce is around 3Cs for H2 subjects.You can check with Ngee Ann-Adelaide Education Centre, its local campus to find out more.
kingfisher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM   #22

I'm currently lost in choosing which school to go.. What i have in mind are SIT and SIMGE both on Information Technology (courses related to cyber security).

1) Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Information and Communications Technology (Information Security) by SIT.
2) Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Information Systems and Management by SIMGE-UOL.
3) Bachelor of Computer Science (Digital Systems Security) by SIMGE-UOW.

I understand that SIT is considered as a Local Uni (Right??) while SIMGE provides as DL degree which may or may not be so reconsigned in Singapore. However these overseas university exists longer than SIT..
Hence i'm currently in a dilemma on choosing which school..

Should i go with the local university or go with the more recognized university by the world???

Look forward to your replies!
Thank you
bl4hpkno0b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 PM   #23
Master Member

I'm currently lost in choosing which school to go.. What i have in mind are SIT and SIMGE both on Information Technology (courses related to cyber security).

1) Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Information and Communications Technology (Information Security) by SIT.
2) Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Information Systems and Management by SIMGE-UOL.

I understand that SIT is considered as a Local Uni (Right??) while SIMGE provides as DL degree which may or may not be so reconsigned in Singapore. However these overseas university exists longer than SIT..

Should i go with the local university or go with the more recognized university by the world???

Thank you
NUS NTU SMU SUTD are the 4 recognised local unis
disavowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #24

NUS NTU SMU SUTD are the 4 recognised local unis
http://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/press-centre/sit-is-officially-singapore-s-new-autonomous-university
Havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #25
Master Member

http://www.singaporetech.edu.sg/press-centre/sit-is-officially-singapore-s-new-autonomous-university
Next time pls send your children there
Old 05-03-2016, 10:06 PM   #26

Thank you
If u planning to work in government sector, go for sit. Sit is counted as local u. Many of my officer friends sign on and went to sit.

If u r planning to work in private sector / oversea, sim. Think sim is more regonize oversea.
Slowx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:47 PM   #27

Thank you
Your a lvl results look very bad. What grade did you get for your math?
It might be tough for you to even get into SIT.
But aside from your A levels, do you have other stuff to show? SIT assess their applicants holistically.

Do take note that the degree from SIMGE-UOW is a basic degree, no honours classification. You may be at a slight disadvantage after graduation.

SIT is one of the 5 autonomous uni in singapore. These singapore universities usually have signed agreements with industry players and offer better connections with relevant local companies. Many external activities and competitions are usually open to only full-timers of all 6 singapore uni (includes UniSIM).
intime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:03 PM   #28

I got
P D
C D
M E

E B
GP B
PW C
I got leadership in cca and cip

Got chance to enter NTU most unpopular courses?
Your results don't look good when compared to NTU IGP.
I don't think your cca and cip will boost your application much.
Hopefully, you have enough relevant experience, skills and recommendation for discretionary admission.

Go compare your results with IGP.
Base on your results, chances are extremely low for you to enter business.
But I think you might have a shot at SIT and UniSIM full-time business courses.
intime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 12:45 AM   #29

Next time pls send your children there
The fact that you think that's somehow insulting says more about you than me. In any case, I didn't say SIT is the best, if I had children, of course I'd send them to the best out there. If they qualify for Oxbridge, why go NUS? Same concept.

I gave an article that shows that its a local uni. Which means that you are clearly wrong in your previous post. But I guess some people can't admit that. Cheers!
Havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:01 AM   #30
Master Member

The fact that you think that's somehow insulting says more about you than me. In any case, I didn't say SIT is the best, if I had children, of course I'd send them to the best out there. If they qualify for Oxbridge, why go NUS? Same concept.

I gave an article that shows that its a local uni. Which means that you are clearly wrong in your previous post. But I guess some people can't admit that. Cheers!
Pls lah even st aero doesnt recognise their engg cert
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.