HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Bad A level results..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2016, 09:12 PM   #46

Hi! I changed my mind after going to NTU Open house! My Grades are BBC/B GP E, PW A, CL D with rank point 73.75. I want to try NUS Science (BBB/C, RP 75) , but I'm short of 1.25. Do you think i require some interview(Discretionary Admission)?? Or its hard cos of GP??? I dont mind doing QET, but I worry they reject me before I can even try QET. There is 1127 places taken last year? Please Advise!! Thanks!

BTW, Im also applying for NTU Mathematics and Economics(ABC/D, RP 73.75) and Mathematical Science (BBC/D, RP 71.25). I might even apply for unisim if im not accepted in any of the local Uni! (TBH, Im struggling to even pay local uni fees, what more pte uni....)

Last edited by Miss_LHX; 06-03-2016 at 10:18 PM..
Miss_LHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:09 PM   #47

Hi! I changed my mind after going to NTU Open house! My Grades are BBC/B GP E, PW A, CL D with rank point 73.75. I want to try NUS Science (BBB/C, RP 75) , but I'm short of 1.25. Do you think i require some interview(Discretionary Admission)?? Or its hard cos of GP??? I dont mind doing QET, but I worry they reject me before I can even try QET. There is 1127 places taken last year? Please Advise!! Thanks!

BTW, Im also applying for NTU Mathematics and Economics(ABC/D, RP 73.75) and Mathematical Science (BBC/D, RP 71.25). I might even apply for unisim if im not accepted in any of the local Uni! (TBH, Im struggling to even pay local uni fees, what more pte uni....)
NUS Science would probably not be too bothered by your GP grade but will still take your RP into consideration. You would probably have a good chance for ntu mathematical science.

Unisim's fees are actually about the same as NTU if you bothered to do some googling.

NTU: 7950/year making it 31.8k
NUS Science: 37.2k
Unisim Full-time: 32k for accountancy. 30.6k for the rest.

Fees listed are after the tuition grant.
Havok_ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:21 PM   #48

Yes lucky. LOL

I went NA sec5, poly NS before SMU so u still younger than me.
I'm kind of reluctant to spend another year to retake. However, I know that I haven't given my best yet, thats why part of me wants to try again.

If i do retake however, do you suggest I go to a private school or study on my own?
Personally, chemistry and geography are the hardest for me and I might need tuition for these subjects. But so far, I havent found a private A lvl centre that offers geography...and also, art subjects...the results are kind of unpredictable.. what should I do?
Coconeedle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #49

Best you start by looking here. http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_...quirements.pdf if it has to be so complicated that they have to draw boxes to illustrate who gets in and who does not, you better fact check all the information by getting it straight from the horse's mouth.
Pineapple.wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #50
Supremacy Member

I have gotten a score of BBB/AAB with MT grade B. Rank points 81.25
I don't take Physics at h1/h2 level neither have I taken O-level physics. I wish to go to comp science. however, according to this, comp sci requires at least h1/h2 or O-lvl phys.

I called and emailed the admissions office at NTU and they said I will not qualify for the course because I did not take physics at all.

Now, let's say i die die want to apply to ntu comp sci and get rejected, what are the chances that my appeal for discretionary admission will get me in(assuming very good achievements, appraisals, cca records)?
NPNTBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:17 AM   #51
High Supremacy Member

I applied to NUS Science 2 years ago with a rank point of 70 ( of I didn't remember wrongly) and I was called down for the DA interview so I believe there's a high chance that you'll be called down too.

AhPORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #52

I applied to NUS Science 2 years ago with a rank point of 70 ( of I didn't remember wrongly) and I was called down for the DA interview so I believe there's a high chance that you'll be called down too.

[/URL]

Hi! When you applied for DA, what are the supporting document that you submitted? Through mail or online(Because the application is not open yet, so I dont really know how it works) Is the DA interview very tough? Is there many applicants trying to apply as well for your year? What are the questions they typically ask? So are you currently pursuing science in NUS or other interest?
Miss_LHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:52 PM   #53
High Supremacy Member

Hi! When you applied for DA, what are the supporting document that you submitted? Through mail or online(Because the application is not open yet, so I dont really know how it works) Is the DA interview very tough? Is there many applicants trying to apply as well for your year? What are the questions they typically ask? So are you currently pursuing science in NUS or other interest?
Wow, that's a lot of questions

When you applied for DA, what are the supporting document that you submitted? Through mail or online?
I didn't apply for DA, I just put NUS science as my first choice and I got called down for the DA interview

Is the DA interview very tough?
Hmm.. I would say the DA interview is rather informal. It's just like a chit chat session with the profs for them to get to know you better.

Are there many applicants trying to apply as well for your year?

I'm not too sure about this. I don't think NUS reveals this to the general public.

What are the questions they typically ask?
Why did you choose NUS science?
Which major do you want to major in in the future and why?
What do you want to work as in the future?
Do you have any hobbies?

Basically just questions to know more about you as a person, nothing too tough I guess.

So are you currently pursuing science in NUS or other interest?

Nope, I'm currently a year 2 student in NTU mathematical sciences.
AhPORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #54

Hi i need some advice too. Got CCC/B (B for PW, B for GP, A for MT). Do you think I can make it into any business course in local U? or perhaps Economics?
Business is more or less out for all 3 local unis, unless your portfolio is very upz, then can try for SMU. If you really really want Biz, i suggest go take SATs, (Eng & Math) try to score a competitive score of at least 2050 or 2.1 and above) then apply for SMU biz.

As for econs, FASS is nearly out as well, because in recent years the grades needed to enter FASS has been improving. This year, FASS is like straight Bs which in my year, can confirm secure SMU biz interview. Can still try SMU and NTU Econs but do note that SMU econs is a bachelor in sci while NTU, NUS is bach in arts for econs. They differ in terms of 1 more math and 1 more theories. Do your research and see what you really want. If biz/econs rly your passion, can just go private because the only diff is the opportunitites in future. When you are working, if you take adv of the opp you get, it is definitely possible to overtake local uni grads.

All the best and cheers
TrialByCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #55

either retake A level during your NS or go private uni.. BUT never repeat A level and defer NS. Don't waste 1 year!
Think this is where you are wrong liao. That 1 year in all honesty might translate to 1 year more salary if you go private and start working earlier. And although I did mention in other threads that local and private really not much difference, only initial opportunities - but with that being said, education will still take the next 2 - 4 years at the very least. 1 year is not exactly a long nor a short time. If Coco wishes to retake A levels why not? Personally going deferring NS to retake isnt a bad thing. No shame in that. My fren and I personally did that and as long as you put in enough effort, you will still make the cut in the end. My fren did very much better and went on to score ABB/AA for his retake and is currently studying in SMU Accountancy while I still play here and there and only managed a BCC/BB but still good enough to enter NUS.

All in all, I'll say just go for it. 1 year for the next 3-4 years and potentially affecting the next 20-30 years of career is a worthwhile price to pay.

Sigh.. I don't know if I should retake. I alr took 3 years JC. I'm female so no NS. Dk if it's lucky or what, but I'm ageing 😭
If you believe that you can do better go for it. You must be prepared to work harder than back when you were in JC. Like both my friend and I defer NS and went back to JC to retake - He planned his time and managed a ABB/AA for his retake while I only managed a BCC/BB. Both of our initial A level results are something like CEE/CE so there is still hope. We even finished out BMT first before re-entering JC so we only started re-studying from 9 April 2012 - Oct 2012 before retaking. So just go for it!

Yes lucky. LOL

I went NA sec5, poly NS before SMU so u still younger than me.
And as Magickiller19 pointed out, got a few people went the Sec 5 route to poly to NS to local uni. I even know 2 people personally who went Sec 5 - ITE - Poly - NS and finally Uni route. They now like already 26 but still only year 1 sem 2 in uni xD so dont give up haha
TrialByCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:44 PM   #56

Think this is where you are wrong liao. That 1 year in all honesty might translate to 1 year more salary if you go private and start working earlier. And although I did mention in other threads that local and private really not much difference, only initial opportunities - but with that being said, education will still take the next 2 - 4 years at the very least. 1 year is not exactly a long nor a short time. If Coco wishes to retake A levels why not? Personally going deferring NS to retake isnt a bad thing. No shame in that. My fren and I personally did that and as long as you put in enough effort, you will still make the cut in the end. My fren did very much better and went on to score ABB/AA for his retake and is currently studying in SMU Accountancy while I still play here and there and only managed a BCC/BB but still good enough to enter NUS.

All in all, I'll say just go for it. 1 year for the next 3-4 years and potentially affecting the next 20-30 years of career is a worthwhile price to pay.

If you believe that you can do better go for it. You must be prepared to work harder than back when you were in JC. Like both my friend and I defer NS and went back to JC to retake - He planned his time and managed a ABB/AA for his retake while I only managed a BCC/BB. Both of our initial A level results are something like CEE/CE so there is still hope. We even finished out BMT first before re-entering JC so we only started re-studying from 9 April 2012 - Oct 2012 before retaking. So just go for it!

And as Magickiller19 pointed out, got a few people went the Sec 5 route to poly to NS to local uni. I even know 2 people personally who went Sec 5 - ITE - Poly - NS and finally Uni route. They now like already 26 but still only year 1 sem 2 in uni xD so dont give up haha
As much as I want to agree with your advice, can I just say all of the above (the retaking, the slow climb from ITE to Uni) is not for the faint-hearted?

In order to do what that FEW people did (there's a reason why there are so few. And nothing short of being the best will get you there) you almost have to dedicate yourself to the exclusion of everything for I can guarantee you, there are going to be people who will fail their appeals and try again next year. As harsh as this sounds, it really does not matter how well you do. What truly matters is how well the rest of the people out there do.

I'm lazy. So I am of the opinion that put in your position and age again, i will not choose to do something that 1. has close to no real purpose in life other than a grade to show for 2. is a complete pain in the behind to do in the first place much less repeat. I choose the easier way out and go for the quality private options out there (e.g. ngee ann-adelaide which is a very well kept secret that I almost do not want to share), choose what I am interested in and study the hell out of that and do well this time around.

I am not saying my hypothetical choice is better or easier. Far from it but at the very minimum, this time, the choice to do something I genuinely like is on my side.

Last edited by Pineapple.wong; 08-03-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Pineapple.wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #57

Hmm.. Thanks everyone for your help. I think for now I'll be applying to NUS (I know there's no chance, but still...), NTU, SIM and perhaps other private Unis. Honestly I do not know what other private unis are there out there, and are they reputable or not...any recommendations..? I will also apply to retake A levels, and if I get into a course I want, I will cancel with SEAB. I think there will be a full refund if I'm not wrong...

Also, 13nc13ryan and NPNTBoy, if y'all are seeing this, thank you for privately messaging me, but I cant reply until my post count hits 10. So, I'll reply soon k!
Coconeedle96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 08:13 PM   #58

Igp aaa/a 85uas can go accountancy nus?
Satkiboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #59
Supremacy Member

Hmm.. Thanks everyone for your help. I think for now I'll be applying to NUS (I know there's no chance, but still...), NTU, SIM and perhaps other private Unis. Honestly I do not know what other private unis are there out there, and are they reputable or not...any recommendations..? I will also apply to retake A levels, and if I get into a course I want, I will cancel with SEAB. I think there will be a full refund if I'm not wrong...

Also, 13nc13ryan and NPNTBoy, if y'all are seeing this, thank you for privately messaging me, but I cant reply until my post count hits 10. So, I'll reply soon k!
All the best.

http://www.seab.gov.sg/content/priva...Candidates.pdf

Don't worry, you are right and you can still apply for a full refund if you are matriculated into a uni.

As for the universities, I'm sure you have looked at the subject requirements. If you haven't here are the links:

You might want to look at NTU's minimum subject requirement here, NUS' here, SMU

There aren't any academic requirements you haven't met for SIT, SUTD and SIM.

For SUTD - from my own experience - I feel that they look more at your passion and your portfolio for considerations. I have friends with decent results and are being rejected a place at SUTD.

For SIT, I think you'd need rather decent results to get in due to their limited slots.

For your grades, I'd recommend SIM/RMIT. They offer courses that are relatively recognised overseas (from friends' experiences). Not in Singapore but overseas.

Last edited by NPNTBoy; 10-03-2016 at 08:33 AM..
NPNTBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #60
Honorary Member

Try retaking a levels
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.