Difference in Big 4 and small audit firm - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroboy37

Reaction score
ntu accountancy -> GPA 3.5 can go big 4 or not?

If its for internship, no chance. If its for perm job, depends on which service line. I do have friends who get second lower getting into big 4, sometimes it depends on luck and how you fair during the interview.

so anyone know if the big 4 orientation programme is important? cuz ill be joining one week later then the main local Uni batch :eek:

I remember my training was the first 2 weeks and subsequently once every week for the next 1.5 months. Quite intensive and we get to travel together overseas. Try not to be "detached" from your main group if you can. But one week shouldnt be a problem.

Such a big jump between A2 (yr2) and S1 (yr3)???

Yes. There is a big jump. Promotion is not the same as progression.

astroboy37

Reaction score
I don't think age should be a matter, I had a 31 year old 1st year associate. you just need to show your enthusiasm if you managed to get an interview

Age is not a determining factor. Big 4 dont discriminate. Just show that you are willing to start from scratch and show you are sincere and keen about this profession. I dont see why they shouldnt take you in.

friendlyguy

Master Member
Reaction score
sales is not my cut.. still wanna try out auditing.. i am applying for audit associate 2.5k/mth i seriously dun mind if its big4... :)

seldom see people who wanna accept the downgraded pay. are you a girl?? seldom see a guy who wanna accept lower salary. I myself from mid tier audit firm then join commercial got at least 100% increment, in the end tired become cost centre and the hours are worse. Now, wanna join big 4 but as senior associate, not in audit though.

You finished ACCA in 3.5 yrs, that's good since I haven't cleared 1 paper in my CIMA hahaha...I go home at least 10 pm, how to study?

milkcup

Reaction score
Yes. There is a big jump. Promotion is not the same as progression.[/QUOTE]

Quoting from the post #8972, it seems there is a median range..

"Job title/grade: Associate Year 2 or A2
Pay scale: S$3,000 to S$3,200

Job title/grade: Senior Associate Year 1 or S1
Pay scale: S$3,500 to S$4,000

Job title/grade: Senior Associate Year 2 or S2
Pay scale: S$4,200 to S$4,800"

astroboy37

Reaction score
Quoting from the post #8972, it seems there is a median range..

"Job title/grade: Associate Year 2 or A2
Pay scale: S$3,000 to S$3,200

Job title/grade: Senior Associate Year 1 or S1
Pay scale: S$3,500 to S$4,000

Job title/grade: Senior Associate Year 2 or S2
Pay scale: S$4,200 to S$4,800"

Hmm, not correct.
A2 typically is above 3.1k
S1 is definitely 4k and above.

itachisama

Reaction score
what do you mean by service line? i have heard different experiences from different people. some told me big 4 will take in just about any graduates from ntu accounting(even pass degree),whereas others told me GPA matters?

Audit Line of Service, Tax LOS, Advisory LOS…etc

I think for big4 intake it really depends, good years pass degree also can bad years NTU 2nd upper also need to go through partner recommendation after TURF. :s13:

pineapple tarts

Reaction score
Audit Line of Service, Tax LOS, Advisory LOS…etc

I think for big4 intake it really depends, good years pass degree also can bad years NTU 2nd upper also need to go through partner recommendation after TURF. :s13:

What is turf? how many of us would actually know the partners? :vijayadmin:

sammi_edith

Reaction score
seldom see people who wanna accept the downgraded pay. are you a girl?? seldom see a guy who wanna accept lower salary. I myself from mid tier audit firm then join commercial got at least 100% increment, in the end tired become cost centre and the hours are worse. Now, wanna join big 4 but as senior associate, not in audit though.

You finished ACCA in 3.5 yrs, that's good since I haven't cleared 1 paper in my CIMA hahaha...I go home at least 10 pm, how to study?

:s13:
that is provided if its Big4 taking me in mah.. have to look for longer term prospects (since i am keen in doing audit)..

CIMA i heard is much more difficult wor, so not exactly comparable..
JIA YOU!!=:p

milkcup

Reaction score
I remember my training was the first 2 weeks and subsequently once every week for the next 1.5 months. Quite intensive and we get to travel together overseas. Try not to be "detached" from your main group if you can. But one week shouldnt be

How about ad-hoc recruitment in June? Do u think I will join the main group as well? What's with the travel together overseas thing? Anyway, is there any chance to get to know ppl during the orientation, which I assume to be lasting a couple of hours a day?

Pl advise me... TIA!! =)

Milo-Dino

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I remember my training was the first 2 weeks and subsequently once every week for the next 1.5 months. Quite intensive and we get to travel together overseas. Try not to be "detached" from your main group if you can. But one week shouldnt be a problem.

wah so intense ah.

I remember my first year training only 1 week long. (probably because I joined as odd batch with the other aussie grads)

Niggg17

Reaction score
Can anyone validate the statements made by this chio accountant? Link below:

youtube.com/watch?v=pwTU3YGgmNo

She is(from the date of video) still a CA trainee; I assume that she is a relatively fresh from uni. How did she land such a fanciful job(from 1:50 onwards, she described her job scopes)?

In sg, fresh acc grads who are not in audit, most probably doing partial acct, inventory costing or similar stuffs.

Are her description of her job scopes true? or a fabricated fact made for advertising?

Or maybe

Sg and Aus have diff businees culture? or am I oblivious about hiring practice in Sg?

astroboy37

Reaction score
How about ad-hoc recruitment in June? Do u think I will join the main group as well? What's with the travel together overseas thing? Anyway, is there any chance to get to know ppl during the orientation, which I assume to be lasting a couple of hours a day?

Pl advise me... TIA!! =)

"Overseas thing" is for new graduates only. The major intake is July for Tax, Aug/Sept for audit. Your admin officer will enrol you.

what do you mean by service line? i have heard different experiences from different people. some told me big 4 will take in just about any graduates from ntu accounting(even pass degree),whereas others told me GPA matters?

it really depends on which service line you apply for. Some service line due to the high demand, then they will usually screen the applicants and therefore choose those with better grades for the interviews. This is quite the normal process. However, if its general audit, i guess it really depends on the number of candidates they wanna take in. Some years, its PwC and EY more popular, some years PwC and KP. So it depends on the take-up rate (as most people have 2-4 offers from the Big 4).

milkcup

Reaction score
Just curious.. Working in big4 got any AWS or bonuses??? On average, how many of annual leave r given??

DeadPeople

Reaction score
Just curious.. Working in big4 got any AWS or bonuses??? On average, how many of annual leave r given??

Not sure about other big4, for kpmg, there is no AWS.. only VB... How many annual leave depends on your position. Senior have 2 days more annual leave than junior i guess.

DeadPeople

Reaction score
:s13:
that is provided if its Big4 taking me in mah.. have to look for longer term prospects (since i am keen in doing audit)..

CIMA i heard is much more difficult wor, so not exactly comparable..
JIA YOU!!=:p

are you taking a full time job for now? i hope you are not waiting for big4 replies as i guess the big4 has hired enough for the 2012 intake.

Big4 don't discriminate by age but *pardon me if my words are harsh, given the background of your qualification and work experience, there are much more better candidates that they can choose from. And if big4 lower its intake quota, your chances are greatly reduced.=:p

I would suggest you join mid tier/small firms to gain your audit experience since your passion is with audit and move on to big4 when the opportunity comes. Otherwise, referral might be a good alternative. :s8:

sammi_edith

Reaction score
are you taking a full time job for now? i hope you are not waiting for big4 replies as i guess the big4 has hired enough for the 2012 intake.

Big4 don't discriminate by age but *pardon me if my words are harsh, given the background of your qualification and work experience, there are much more better candidates that they can choose from. And if big4 lower its intake quota, your chances are greatly reduced.=:p

I would suggest you join mid tier/small firms to gain your audit experience since your passion is with audit and move on to big4 when the opportunity comes. Otherwise, referral might be a good alternative. :s8:

Sigh..seem like no matter when i ask them, the answer will always be the intake is full.. =.=

Its okay, i really think my qualifications are just normal.. :o
sometimes i think luck plays a part too coz i used to hear from some of friends who managed to be shortlisted for interview from Big4 even though their results are poorer :s13:
so they just ask me to keep trying..

astroboy37

Reaction score
all big 4 got no AWS

Yes. All big 4 no AWS. more of variable bonus where it varies from service lines.

Sigh..seem like no matter when i ask them, the answer will always be the intake is full.. =.=

Its okay, i really think my qualifications are just normal.. :o
sometimes i think luck plays a part too coz i used to hear from some of friends who managed to be shortlisted for interview from Big4 even though their results are poorer :s13:
so they just ask me to keep trying..

You must know when is the peak hiring period and attack at that period. If otherwise, the supply is low, and so many people apply, of course grades is a determining factor.

No AWS, the variable bonus somewhat include the AWS. It depends on how much your department head want to declare. And at different ranks, there is a cap as well. On average, the lowest level gets about 15 AL a year. As you progress, it gets more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.