HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Differences between UOL Bachelor Acct&Finance and RMIT Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By momomonsters
  • 1 Post By baka_giraffe
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2011, 03:12 AM   #1

Differences between UOL Bachelor Acct&Finance and RMIT Bachelor of Business (Accountancy)

What are the differences between UOL BSc Acct&Finance and RMIT Bachelor of Business (Accountancy).

1. does both courses provide similar modules?
2. are the career prospects for both degrees the same?
3. since RMIT has no direct honours, am i able to study master after that?
3. is studying acct&finance in UOL difficult and exams are hard to pass especially econs?

HELP ME
ahdada likes this.
momomonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:41 PM   #2

URGENT!!What are the differences between UOL BSc Acct&Finance and RMIT Bachelor of Business (A/C)

What are the differences between UOL BSc Acct&Finance and RMIT Bachelor of Business (Accountancy).

1. does both courses provide similar modules?
2. are the career prospects for both degrees the same?
3. since RMIT has no direct honours, am i able to study master after that?
3. is studying acct&finance in UOL difficult and exams are hard to pass especially econs?

HELP ME [/QUOTE]

Can someone enlighten me & provide me with some inform+advice? Am gg to sign up for the july course in yr 2013 jan. Must know the difference before I decide on which to choose.

For RMIT Bachelor of Business (Accountancy), can I be an accountant after I grad? I understd that to be a CPA, I still need to take up ACCA(professional though I can straight away start off at later part of stage 2 of ACCA as I already hv a degree in accountancy)? Pls correct me if i'm wrong.

AND do employers prefer grad from UOL or RMIT? I do not want to waste my time studying & at the end of the day, I can't find a job with the degree & the degree I obtain are not readily recognised in sg.

Advice needed urgently as application for both UOL BSc Acct&Finance and RMIT Bachelor of Business (Accountancy) begin in jan to feb 2013.

Thks~!
ahdada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #3

Not from either uni. So what i can provide is just some general advices.

1. UOL vs RMIT was very much discussed in the UOL or RMIT threads. so just research abit will do good. Both are reputable unis. It just depends on your style of learning. RMIT is more project based, whereas UOL is more exam based. So if you like O Levels, A levels kind of exams, UOL will do good. ALso in terms of reputation UOL is slightly better.

2. Career prospects in accounting are the same. Audit, tax or accounts. Which 1 are you looking for?

3. Masters in? Accounting? Not advisable.

4. This u need to go to UOL thread to research. From what i see it seems tough for the exams.

Accountants need not have to have ACCA or CPA. Auditors is a must. Accountants is best to have but don't have still can survive.

And yes, i believe it is standard unless is UOL. i remember UOL can skip to stage 3 of ACCA but RMIT only stage 2. But ACCA is incomplete without CPA. So at the end of the day what you need is a CPA.

Employers depends on alot of factors. If you are looking at purely academics, NTU NUS SMU will be best. The rest are just the same, with certain employers preference in some unis over another. You won't know for sure.

Hope it helps
ahdada likes this.
baka_giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:45 PM   #4

Smile

Not from either uni. So what i can provide is just some general advices.

1. UOL vs RMIT was very much discussed in the UOL or RMIT threads. so just research abit will do good. Both are reputable unis. It just depends on your style of learning. RMIT is more project based, whereas UOL is more exam based. So if you like O Levels, A levels kind of exams, UOL will do good. ALso in terms of reputation UOL is slightly better.

2. Career prospects in accounting are the same. Audit, tax or accounts. Which 1 are you looking for?

3. Masters in? Accounting? Not advisable.

4. This u need to go to UOL thread to research. From what i see it seems tough for the exams.

Accountants need not have to have ACCA or CPA. Auditors is a must. Accountants is best to have but don't have still can survive.

And yes, i believe it is standard unless is UOL. i remember UOL can skip to stage 3 of ACCA but RMIT only stage 2. But ACCA is incomplete without CPA. So at the end of the day what you need is a CPA.

Employers depends on alot of factors. If you are looking at purely academics, NTU NUS SMU will be best. The rest are just the same, with certain employers preference in some unis over another. You won't know for sure.

Hope it helps
Appreciate for the reply +advices~!!

One of the main reasons why I did not opt for UOL is because I don't have a credit in my 'O' level english. Although the staff told me that I can take the ielts test & it is very simple, the thing is even if i can overcome this stage, the rest of the papers I need to write in English & it'll be sent to UK to be marked. With my current standard of English, the probability of the examiners/markers penalised me for my language is very high. Also, I might not be able to deliver the answer out in proper Eng to the marker.

I understand that if were to compare UOL with RMIT, UOL degree have a better standing than RMIT. I'm very confused & don't know what to do. The application date for both Uni are not far away. And if i really were to take UOL, I hv to sit for ielts test first.

It is known that UOL is in many ways, much better than RMIT and of course if i hv a good command in written Eng, I'll not have much worries.

Hope you understand what i'm trying to say in here. Apologise...all broken english. I felt so helpless and it seems like till now, you are the only one who provide me a solid advice! Thanks a lot!

I would like very much to hear from you again..your advice & suggestions i.e. if you don't mind helping me.

Thank you...Thank you!
Old 11-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #5

Appreciate for the reply +advices~!!

One of the main reasons why I did not opt for UOL is because I don't have a credit in my 'O' level english. Although the staff told me that I can take the ielts test & it is very simple, the thing is even if i can overcome this stage, the rest of the papers I need to write in English & it'll be sent to UK to be marked. With my current standard of English, the probability of the examiners/markers penalised me for my language is very high. Also, I might not be able to deliver the answer out in proper Eng to the marker.

I understand that if were to compare UOL with RMIT, UOL degree have a better standing than RMIT. I'm very confused & don't know what to do. The application date for both Uni are not far away. And if i really were to take UOL, I hv to sit for ielts test first.

It is known that UOL is in many ways, much better than RMIT and of course if i hv a good command in written Eng, I'll not have much worries.

Hope you understand what i'm trying to say in here. Apologise...all broken english. I felt so helpless and it seems like till now, you are the only one who provide me a solid advice! Thanks a lot!

I would like very much to hear from you again..your advice & suggestions i.e. if you don't mind helping me.

Thank you...Thank you!
If you are worrying just due to your english, go take up the test first before you decide. At the very least, you have open up 1 more options rather than limiting yourself.

I still seriously believe English should not be the limiting factor. If your problem is english, 2 options for your choice.

1. Go brush up the language. It may take some time but it should works well in the future.
2. Anyways examiners never had the luxury of time to read the full essays. So the answers recorded must include the necessary keypoints for the points required. (Anyways I barely scrapped through my English also in O level. However from what i see the examiners cares more on you getting the concepts right rather than your english right.

It is still important for English to be good ultimately for your work purposes. But for exams, who seriously give them a ****. Provided your handwriting is legible and the flow and fluency is there.
baka_giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #6

Thank you~! If that's the case, I guess I hv to sign up for the ielts test first rather than leaving my with only one option
Thank you
Old 12-11-2012, 01:44 AM   #7

The difference between both is actually not significant. Employers such as big4 still prefer local uni grads ie nus ntu smu. For the rest, the difference is not really significant. To get CPA, UOL can opt for ACCA route whereas RMIT can opt for CPA Aust route. Both requires you to clear around 5 papers if i am not wrong.

Therefore my advice is choose which style suits u best. As mentioned by baka, see u prefer pure exam or mixture of project n exam. In terms of recognition, at least in singapore, there really isn't much of a difference.
MadPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #8

Although the staff told me that I can take the ielts test & it is very simple, the thing is even if i can overcome this stage, the rest of the papers I need to write in English & it'll be sent to UK to be marked. With my current standard of English, the probability of the examiners/markers penalised me for my language is very high. Also, I might not be able to deliver the answer out in proper Eng to the marker.
This is precisely why employers like to hire UOL grads. Because it provides some kind of indicator of the student's language skills.

Even for acct/finance jobs, you'll need to write and speak to others (and if you go higher up the management level, you'll need to give presentations, write reports etc...). Better to brush up your english right now, then to suffer later on while looking for a job or in the workplace. there's no running away.
bugmenot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.