HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Gov sector dont recognize private degrees?

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-07-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
High Supremacy Member

From what i experience, the ministries, aka the civil service, are more stringent with this. The stat boards, aka the public servants, are less stringent abt the requirements. Of course there are exceptions, what i am speaking is in general.
may i know what is the different between civil service and public servant?
is PA considered public servant?
Laguna123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Supremacy Member

So much talk about the recognition of qualifications within the civil and public sectors.

Some of these questions can be clarified at this forum:

Income and Jobs - Salary.sg Forums

If too lazy to search, this is the general thread for civil service pay/degree recognition etc. It is slightly muddied by talks about civil and public sector

http://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/...ce-salary.html

Look for the relevant thread and read away. Hope it helps.
Old 19-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #18

If i got a master in private, how much could i get pay to teach in ITE or Poly?

Thanks.
nerdy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
Arch-Supremacy Member

If i got a master in private, how much could i get pay to teach in ITE or Poly?

Thanks.

If not wrong they are more strict on education industry so don't think they will recognize on your Master. But most of the lecturer requirement is degree, so if yours is local degree then u should get slightly higher than those degree holder.
rollbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #20

if i do remember correctly, private degree and master can use to teach in local ite or poly? Just that i want to know how much is the salary? anyone?
nerdy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #21
Master Member

if i do remember correctly, private degree and master can use to teach in local ite or poly? Just that i want to know how much is the salary? anyone?
poly look at industrial working experience more than where ur cert is from
Old 20-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #22

may i know what is the different between civil service and public servant?
is PA considered public servant?
Civil service refers to those ministries such as ministry of manpower, ministry of education, ministry of finance, etc...including those police, civil defence, SAF, teachers....etc

So when Govt declare bonus for the civil servants, it only applies to the civil service people.

Statutory boads such as PA, LTA, IRAS, HDB, CPF are not entitled to the civil service bonus as declared by the govt. However most of the stat boards will try to follow closely. The staffs here are considered public servants.
MadPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
High Supremacy Member

Civil service refers to those ministries such as ministry of manpower, ministry of education, ministry of finance, etc...including those police, civil defence, SAF, teachers....etc

So when Govt declare bonus for the civil servants, it only applies to the civil service people.

Statutory boads such as PA, LTA, IRAS, HDB, CPF are not entitled to the civil service bonus as declared by the govt. However most of the stat boards will try to follow closely. The staffs here are considered public servants.
oic thank you
Laguna123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 12:54 AM   #24

In general, government recognizes degrees from private institutes as long as they are recognized by the respective government of the issuing country.

If you are applying for a professional position, the certificate needs to be recognized by the various professional bodies in Singapore.

1. How do I know that my degree is acceptable for employment in the Singapore Public Service?

For graduate positions, degrees from universities accredited by the home government of the country where the university is located will be considered for appointment into the Public Service. This applies to degrees obtained full-time or part time, through distance-learning or twinning programmes, etc. Professional qualifications such as law and accountancy from foreign institutions also need to be recognised by the relevant professional body in Singapore to be considered for appointment.

If you wish to check on the accreditation status of your degree, you can refer to this link in our Careers@Gov job portal: Careers@Gov, or call the relevant education centres or professional bodies.
Whether your grade and pay will match local graduates is unknown. Actually, quite known. A recent survey has already shown that such graduates are drawing a slightly lower pay in government. A local and private graduate in the private sector will not see such a difference in general.

Whether or not it's fair is up to you to think through. Monetary wise, I don't think so. But skills wise, you may not lose out, especially those at lower grades.

In general, regardless of diploma or university, local or private graduate, officers up to a certain grade are doing the basic ground work. You will get to gain the skills required to do the job.

It's how you balance these 2 factors. If money is important, government is definitely not the best place to join. But if you want to gain as much skills and experience as possible, government is one of the best places to join.
dongdong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #25

If not wrong they are more strict on education industry so don't think they will recognize on your Master. But most of the lecturer requirement is degree, so if yours is local degree then u should get slightly higher than those degree holder.
Not really. Experience counts a lot especially for polytechnics, regardless of where one gets their degree from.

If you are talking about primary/secondary/JC teachers, then yes, they recognizes only local universities for graduate teachers.
Old 22-07-2012, 01:24 AM   #26

Following are considered "elite" statboards/ministries that only accept local 2nd upper and equivalent degrees:

MFA
MOF
EDB
MAS
A*STAR

plus:

Admin Service
Legal Service
cjfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #27

If you are talking about primary/secondary/JC teachers, then yes, they recognizes only local universities for graduate teachers.
MOE hires grads from Indian unis as teachers but not SG grads with distance-learning degrees?
tedXted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
Arch-Supremacy Member

sinkies tio pwn again
Old 24-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #29

In general, government recognizes degrees from private institutes as long as they are recognized by the respective government of the issuing country.

If you are applying for a professional position, the certificate needs to be recognized by the various professional bodies in Singapore.

Whether your grade and pay will match local graduates is unknown. Actually, quite known. A recent survey has already shown that such graduates are drawing a slightly lower pay in government. A local and private graduate in the private sector will not see such a difference in general.

Whether or not it's fair is up to you to think through. Monetary wise, I don't think so. But skills wise, you may not lose out, especially those at lower grades.

In general, regardless of diploma or university, local or private graduate, officers up to a certain grade are doing the basic ground work. You will get to gain the skills required to do the job.

It's how you balance these 2 factors. If money is important, government is definitely not the best place to join. But if you want to gain as much skills and experience as possible, government is one of the best places to join.
IMO However if u r holding a good local deg gov sector is a better option. They r focus in training and promoting them.
Old 24-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #30

Govt about private degrees

This is the fact that Governments do not recognize some of the degrees of Private Universities. But if the Private Universities are following the guidelines regarding academic rules and regulations then i do not think that any Government will not recognize any private degree
AmmarNaeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.