Heard from my friend say ACCA cannot enter SQP thus unable to get CPA.

HaizHaiz

Reaction score
I damn frustrated lor!! Just completed ACCA last june assume it is well recognised in sg... so happy... Now What? ACCA slowly becoming toilet paper in sg!!!!!!

I don't really care whether i meet the grace period for CA. I don't need CA. The problem is ACCA will become toilet paper. I wonder if any employer will employ ACCA; maybe for accounting clerk job.

I saved every single cent during/after NS to pay the fees, stay at home study on book-out days, ord still study. Then?! waste so much time, money and effort; like throwing $$ in thrash bin. Now no money to study other things also...

Same thing happened to ACCA in Hong Kong too, I read up the details. Most likely in Sg will copycat one la, same thing will happen NO MRA on la!! A useless ARA!! The ARA details make ACCA look like crap..

I will probably be an accounting clerk for life now, earning $1500/mth until i retire...

Sorry for whining, I just feel damn irritated now...

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just say it is the government fault & push it to the government because it is really the government fault.

I damn frustrated lor!! Just completed ACCA last june assume it is well recognised in sg... so happy... Now What? ACCA slowly becoming toilet paper in sg!!!!!!

I don't really care whether i meet the grace period for CA. I don't need CA. The problem is ACCA will become toilet paper. I wonder if any employer will employ ACCA; maybe for accounting clerk job.

I saved every single cent during/after NS to pay the fees, stay at home study on book-out days, ord still study. Then?! waste so much time, money and effort; like throwing $$ in thrash bin. Now no money to study other things also...

Same thing happened to ACCA in Hong Kong too, I read up the details. Most likely in Sg will copycat one la, same thing will happen NO MRA on la!! A useless ARA!! The ARA details make ACCA look like crap..

I will probably be an accounting clerk for life now, earning $1500/mth until i retire...

Lonelyoldman

Reaction score

Sorry but did u sign up for the icpas plus route ?? If you didn't then gg for you

Kyopooh

Reaction score
Did u guys read about the new CPA transitional arrangement ?

With the new arrangements I don't even know if I should apply before 31july2013 for acca or CPA aus or etc.

Btw CPA aus is not a better choice as compared to icpas pe?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you know the different between CPA Aus & ICPAS PE in the first place?

I am very surprise that you ask this question.

Did u guys read about the new CPA transitional arrangement ?

With the new arrangements I don't even know if I should apply before 31july2013 for acca or CPA aus or etc.

Btw CPA aus is not a better choice as compared to icpas pe?

Matguy

Reaction score
hi guys wondering if you could help me out. I recently applied to sim for uol accounting and finance, with regards to the new implementations. What are the paths and measures could i take as a future uol anf grad to attain a CA in the future? What are the prospects for me? I find it as confusing with the current path already. Might there be any other better alternatives, or will taking uol anf lead me to a dead end if what i want ultimately is to attain a CA?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have you read up SQP or at least the Candidate FAQs part? If no, that is your home work.

What kind of prospects you want? Job is job which is your own business & CA Sg is to become a Public Accountant in Sg. If you want to ask what is a Public Accountant & what they do, please go do your home work.

hi guys wondering if you could help me out. I recently applied to sim for uol accounting and finance, with regards to the new implementations. What are the paths and measures could i take as a future uol anf grad to attain a CA in the future? What are the prospects for me? I find it as confusing with the current path already. Might there be any other better alternatives, or will taking uol anf lead me to a dead end if what i want ultimately is to attain a CA?

Kyopooh

Reaction score
haha pai seh. i dont really know what is icpas pe. i went for sqp and cpa aus talk, so i agar agar know what is it about. but for icpas, its a mystery that i haven solve. i dont even know it exist till recently haha

i saw someone commenting this, but its ancient. not sure if its still the same. do correct me if i am wrong. thanks

ICPAS is a pathway for graduates with overseas accounting degrees to apply for CPA singapore.

For eg: if you have studied in australia and graduated with a bachelors in accountancy or equivalent. you would have to take the PE in order to qualify for CPA singapore. This said, you would still have to fufill all other criteria that is listed to be able to qualify for CPA singapore.

If you are CPA Aust, there is no need for you to go for PE as ICPAS mutally recognises CPA Aust as the equivalent. This said, you would still have to go for a few papers in singapore such as corporate law and taxation in order to be a praticsing CPA Singapore.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Let do basic analyzing & let say you have the experiences.

Option A (CPA Aus):
  • Step 1: Meet requirement for CPA Aus
  • Step 2: Go for local law, tax and successful completion of the ICPAS PAC.
  • Step 3: Get CPA Sg

Option B (ICPAS):
  • Step 1: Go for ICPAS PE.
  • Step 2: Get CPA Sg

Now time is not on your side, which one do you think is faster?

Do you even have time to go by CPA Aus path?
Please read up the link under 'Membership' & answer truly to yourself.
Link: CPA Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

haha pai seh. i dont really know what is icpas pe. i went for sqp and cpa aus talk, so i agar agar know what is it about. but for icpas, its a mystery that i haven solve. i dont even know it exist till recently haha

i saw someone commenting this, but its ancient. not sure if its still the same. do correct me if i am wrong. thanks

ICPAS is a pathway for graduates with overseas accounting degrees to apply for CPA singapore.

For eg: if you have studied in australia and graduated with a bachelors in accountancy or equivalent. you would have to take the PE in order to qualify for CPA singapore. This said, you would still have to fufill all other criteria that is listed to be able to qualify for CPA singapore.

If you are CPA Aust, there is no need for you to go for PE as ICPAS mutally recognises CPA Aust as the equivalent. This said, you would still have to go for a few papers in singapore such as corporate law and taxation in order to be a praticsing CPA Singapore.

HaizHaiz

Reaction score
stop ranting and read the

Arrangement 8:
Holders of recognised professional qualifications (including ACCA and CPA Australia), but have yet to fulfil certain criteria such as relevant work experience, proficiency in local law and tax and successful completion of the ICPAS PAC, will have until 31st December 2016 to complete the ICPAS PAC, satisfy the proficiency in local law and tax and relevant work experience in order to qualify for the “Chartered Accountant of Singapore” professional designation.

I don't care about CA... we need to think further, it about ACCA reputation in Sg. NOT ALL CPA HOLDERS ARE EQUAL!!!!!

In the past poly can get CPA..... Is poly with CPA same as NUS with CPA? Try asking one with poly and CPA(no relevant exp,cuz he never work in accounting) to find a degree equivalent job today. I would love to see what happen.

Non audit firm employers recognized your ACCA not your CPA which u can 'buy' it effortlessly...... I dun care if i hav CPA, but I noe the importance of ICPAS recognizing ACCA. Most ppl go audit after grad, imagine u cannot get CPA license, why should audit firm hire you.... no ppl take up ACCA, 10 - 20 years later, no one knows what is ACCA, no one will recognise it

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a person who will KPKB but will do something about it even if the doors close at me.

Since you have already KPKB & you confirm that employers will not recognized your ACCA for graduate position, what is your next plan? Get a Master Degree?

I don't care about CA... we need to think further, it about ACCA reputation in Sg. NOT ALL CPA HOLDERS ARE EQUAL!!!!!

In the past poly can get CPA..... Is poly with CPA same as NUS with CPA? Try asking one with poly and CPA(no relevant exp,cuz he never work in accounting) to find a degree equivalent job today. I would love to see what happen.

Non audit firm employers recognized your ACCA not your CPA which u can 'buy' it effortlessly...... I dun care if i hav CPA, but I noe the importance of ICPAS recognizing ACCA. Most ppl go audit after grad, imagine u cannot get CPA license, why should audit firm hire you.... no ppl take up ACCA, 10 - 20 years later, no one knows what is ACCA, no one will recognise it

GunzerX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

If u ask me if poly with CPA and NUS with CPA, of cos is not the same. Cos one is poly and other is local grad. But both have CPA thus if employer is looking at final product, they are looking for acct professional.

ACCA i bet everybody knw what it is. Of cos, Big 4 choose local grad as priority first as they usually conduct recruitment drive for local acct grad.

If u think ACCA reputation is affected here in Singapore, u go for master in SMU etc. Utimately is up to the employer decision...therefore the view that ACCA not recognised is quite subjective.

Wait for june announcement on future mra btw ACCA and ICPAS.

dark_aLLeY

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Employers only care

1) You can perform & deliver up to or above their expectations
2) Cost of hiring you. Are you worth it?
3) IQ (Smart to learn more things?)
4) EQ (Can co-work with clients, colleagues, bosses, suppliers?)

If your father or uncle runs a company, he can let u be CFO anytime.... need cert meh? :s13:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Only Singapore Polytechnic for the professional diploma and for the degree course in accountancy for the years 1961 to 1969 for CPA Sg. Let say this batch of Poly Student graduate at 19 year old, they will be 63 year old by now. So to compare Poly Dip with CPA Sg is really out of topic to begin with.

As for ACCA is a Prof Cert to begin with & it is valuable because it can get CPA Sg with the same requirement as NTU/NUS/SMU. If ACCA is not recognized for CA Sg, the value will sure go down without fail.

If u ask me if poly with CPA and NUS with CPA, of cos is not the same. Cos one is poly and other is local grad. But both have CPA thus if employer is looking at final product, they are looking for acct professional.

ACCA i bet everybody knw what it is. Of cos, Big 4 choose local grad as priority first as they usually conduct recruitment drive for local acct grad.

If u think ACCA reputation is affected here in Singapore, u go for master in SMU etc. Utimately is up to the employer decision...therefore the view that ACCA not recognised is quite subjective.

Wait for june announcement on future mra btw ACCA and ICPAS.

HaizHaiz

Reaction score
you can use ACCA to get CA which is recognised,

but if you dun care about CA but wan others to recognize ACCA,
maybe you should try go be the minister of finance and change the rules to something you like..

Nono dude, u misunderstood me. I dun care about ca TITLE, but I care about ca RECOGNITION

'you can use ACCA to get CA which is recognised' Are you sure they recognize? They are just conforming to the agreement signed with acca a few years ago. Transitional plan DOES NOT EQUAL recognition.

If u hold a qualification which can get CA but choose not to get, ur qualification(local degree, private degree) is still recognized.

If ca and acca have no future agreement, your acca cannot get CA and you cannot choose. ur qualification is not recognised. u can get u ca now bcuz of transitional agreement, not because they recognise you

In another words, your ACCA is not recognised cert in singapore. I am going to get CA and i recommend everyone to go get it. BUT having ACCA/CA is no more as powerful as before, without a formal agreement, ur ACCA value is dropping every year.

Just ask urself objectively, if u can reverse time, would you go for a private degree or acca?

Last time:

acca > private degree(uol, rmit plus some others)

If no future agreement between acca and icpas:

private degree > acca

Conclusion: if no future agreement(recognition) between ca and acca, ur acca value will keep dropping. Having ACCA/CA via transitional plan only means ur recognised in the past, not now or in the future!

Last edited:

HaizHaiz

Reaction score
Only Singapore Polytechnic for the professional diploma and for the degree course in accountancy for the years 1961 to 1969 for CPA Sg. Let say this batch of Poly Student graduate at 19 year old, they will be 63 year old by now. So to compare Poly Dip with CPA Sg is really out of topic to begin with.

As for ACCA is a Prof Cert to begin with & it is valuable because it can get CPA Sg with the same requirement as NTU/NUS/SMU. If ACCA is not recognized for CA Sg, the value will sure go down without fail.

ACCA, CA, CPA, CFA, CIMA, CMA, HKICPA, ICAA, ICAEW, CIA, CICPA etc. are all professional qualification. In most countries, these certs entry requirement is a degree.

UK is the special one, they allow diploma holders(aat/cat diploma in uk) to join and get degree while doing the professional qualification:

ACCA = Oxford Brookes University
ICAEW = Manchester Metropolitan University, Henley Business School
CIMA =Robert Gordon University

P.S Hong Kong also

HKIAAT to Open University of Hong Kong(or bridging) to HKICPA

Last edited:

HaizHaiz

Reaction score
I am a person who will KPKB but will do something about it even if the doors close at me.

Since you have already KPKB & you confirm that employers will not recognized your ACCA for graduate position, what is your next plan? Get a Master Degree?

I have plans too. I going for a part-time recognized degree after I save enough money.

With ACCA and no degree, I can only get into a UK uni Master degree. I already have ACCA which is recognized in UK, I wan to go for Australian degree and USA master degree.

HaizHaiz

Reaction score
HI bro,

what matter is that your ACCA can get CA even if future ACCA kids cant get, and there is not knowing whether they ll sign a new MRA in the future

and in any case globally, ACCA is more recognise than CA sg which is not even launched yet...

so you have the best of both world, you have ACCA which is recognised around the world and CA which is recognised in singapore

I am actually very worried, not trying to troll

I agree ACCA is very recognised in UK, europe(via MRA of eroupe union), China and some other developing countries(not really global, but not bad). However, I am still in Sg, I just felt that I wasted much money. Almost immediately after I graduate, this nonsense came up. damn sian lor. If my father bill gates still never mind. I work and study so hard, never buy new clothes or hp or games, juz to pay exam/tution fees.

pineapple tarts

Reaction score
I am actually very worried, not trying to troll

I agree ACCA is very recognised in UK, europe(via MRA of eroupe union), China and some other developing countries(not really global, but not bad). However, I am still in Sg, I just felt that I wasted much money. Almost immediately after I graduate, this nonsense came up. damn sian lor. If my father bill gates still never mind. I work and study so hard, never buy new clothes or hp or games, juz to pay exam/tution fees.

Who is the one who tell you that acca is not recognized now? The CA Singapore is not even launched yet also. It will be a few more years before the effect is being felt. You would have a few years of working experience by then.

Anyway, the level of recognition for acca will remain the same. Those employers who value it will still recognize it while those who don't will never will, regardless of any changes. You are thinking too much.

nitokit

Reaction score
I have plans too. I going for a part-time recognized degree after I save enough money.

With ACCA and no degree, I can only get into a UK uni Master degree. I already have ACCA which is recognized in UK, I wan to go for Australian degree and USA master degree.

Then why not get into a UK master program? What is the point of getting a Australian degree that is of lower value than ACCA just so to get into USA master degree? Too much time and money?

Also, in future, with all these nonsense, it is right for you to be paranoid that ACCA may not be as recognised by some Singaporean employers. However, MNCs and accounting big 4 will still value ACCA and place ACCA ahead of some private accounting degrees.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.