HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Institute of Technology (SIT) - Singapore's 5th University!

Like Tree3289Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #1831

Hey guys, the email say that need to bring original result transcript to the interview.

So izzit a must bring?? And also can wear jeans and polo tee for the interview??

Any kindsoul can help me?? =)
not too sure about transcript. but jeans and polo should be fine! have read earlier posts that ppl do wear just jeans and polo tee to the interview unless stated smart wear. got 1 person say the interviewer himself wore just polo and shorts and slippers.
newkidontheblock likes this.
horacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #1832

No technical questions for my interview, more of a get to know you better session I'd say.. 3.01 CGPA
i have a friend from NYP going to the interview for yesterday for the Glasgow School of Arts and her interview was really intense. The ang mor from Glasgow and this guy from admission dept grilled her about her portfolio. Why did she use this image, why were other things not considered. how much research did she do for the designs. So i guess it depends. Not all will not have technical questions.

TUM? The german university? BTW, I can see many of you guys qualify for NUS/NTU/SMU but why choose SIT? I'm sure degrees from SIT are recognized by the civil/public sector but how about pvt sector like MNCs...etc. Has anyone check with MOE or whatever agency regarding the GES(pertcentage & salary of SIT grads employed) of new SIT graduates.
imho, it is a no brainer because NUS/NTU/SMU are more focused on getting A levels holders. They only allocated a certain quota for Poly grads. So if i am not a COM holder, GPA not at least 3.8, might as well try SIT because i have a better chance. Some more, SIT was created for Poly grads.

Moreover, for many of the SIT degrees, it is only 2 years instead of at least 3 with NUS/NTU for engineering. Tuition fees subsidised by govt also. Very cheap liao compared to going overseas.

Given the reputation and ranking of the foreign universities, i believe that private sector should not be an issue:

For Engineering
1) Technische Universität München - 54th in world, 29 for Engineering and IT, No.1 in Germany (you honestly think that European companies won't know of them)

2) University of Glasgow - 59th in world, 83 for Arts & Humanities (relevant because Glasgow School of Arts is actually Uni. Glasgow) | 113 for Engineering & IT

3) University of Manchester - 29th in world | 43 for Life Sciences (relevant because of nursing)

4) Trinity College Dublin - 65th in the world | 80 for Life Sciences

Too lazy to search the other foreign uni at SIT.

in comparison,
NUS - 28th in world
NTU - 58th in world
SMU - No ranking (it is only relevant to Singapore)

So overall, SIT is really not too bad especially since got full government support

Somemore, got people apply to other local uni also one, i am sure.
yamachichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #1833

Just a question tho... so SIT is considered as a recognised university of Singapore?
Govt may use SIT as full-fledged university - Channel NewsAsia

Govt may use SIT as full-fledged university
By Sharon See | Posted: 22 March 2012 2126 hrs
Singapore Institute of Technology

SINGAPORE: The government may use the Singapore Institute of Technology as a full-fledged university as it expands university places beyond 2015.

Speaking to reporters after a closed-door townhall session, Minister of State for Education, Lawrence Wong said this is one area the Committee on University Pathways Beyond 2015 is studying.

The Education Ministry's committee on expanding the tertiary sector released its preliminary findings two weeks ago, and Thursday's townhall is one way to gather feedback on its ideas.

One pertinent question is, how to ensure the quality of education remains even as the government opens up more places to cater to greater demand and more diverse aspirations.

Participants also raised questions about instilling values and character development in university education.

Mr Wong said the expansion of NUS and NTU is limited as they are already very large, and any expansion would likely be at the Singapore University of Technology and Design, and Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).

The government had earlier said it intends to let 30 per cent of the cohort enter publicly funded universities by 2015, up from 27 per cent currently.

"We think there's scope for SIT to move further. What does that mean, I think we'll have to study further," said Mr Wong.

"For example, would it include SIT offering its own degrees, basically SIT being transformed into a university in its own right, offering a very different kind of programme, practice-oriented, teaching university in partnership with some of its overseas partners as well. So those are ideas which we have to think about."

Even as the committee brainstorms for more pathways to universities, some forum participants, including a career counsellor and an adjunct professor, pointed out that a university degree should not be viewed as an end point. They stressed the importance of life-long learning and the need for employees to continue reinventing themselves.

"If it's just about university education alone, then this will be the bottleneck, and there will always be demands for more. So it cannot be that learning stops at a university degree," said Mr Wong.

Mr Wong said this is why the government will continue to expand its Continuing Education and Training programmes, while looking into more ways to expand part-time degree courses.

- CNA/cc
yamachichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #1834

I think in the email, they stated smart casual.
Which means a shirt and a business pants would be more ideal.

Original transcript, just bring in case they want to see.

Hey guys, the email say that need to bring original result transcript to the interview.

So izzit a must bring?? And also can wear jeans and polo tee for the interview??

Any kindsoul can help me?? =)
chipchurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #1835

They Started the 1st batch of interview on 2 march, if i not wrong
ohh, when did u go for yours? you applied for UNLV too?
Yeap, I was actually arranged for the 2th march interview, but i didnt went. So i going for tml interview instead
what happen that you miss the previous time?
Regarding the interview, just relax.
chipchurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #1836

what happen that you miss the previous time?
Regarding the interview, just relax.
Thanks. You're a current student there?
farrerwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 04:30 PM   #1837

SIT Interview

I have been called up for admission interview for Mech. Design & Manu. Engrg tomorrow. Does anyone know what kind of qsns I can expect from the interviewers?
dogdays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #1838

Hi folks,

Anyone got any interview from NU's Food & Nutritional Science yet?

I've applied since early March but till now my mailbox is still empty..

I'm feeling my chances slowly slipping away

I'm currently doing PT degree (only took 1 module to test test) with PSB.

I grad from TP, biotech with CGPA of 3.04

Currently working for already 1year (in relevant field), prior to that was internship & before I enter NS I worked in TP as a lab tech (yes, relevant).

I'm wondering what are my chances, views from current students? And any others that already got your interview for this degree, please share your GPA / work exp etc..

Cheers & thanks in advance!!
wind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #1839
Master Member

i have a friend from NYP going to the interview for yesterday for the Glasgow School of Arts and her interview was really intense. The ang mor from Glasgow and this guy from admission dept grilled her about her portfolio. Why did she use this image, why were other things not considered. how much research did she do for the designs. So i guess it depends. Not all will not have technical questions.

imho, it is a no brainer because NUS/NTU/SMU are more focused on getting A levels holders. They only allocated a certain quota for Poly grads. So if i am not a COM holder, GPA not at least 3.8, might as well try SIT because i have a better chance. Some more, SIT was created for Poly grads.

Moreover, for many of the SIT degrees, it is only 2 years instead of at least 3 with NUS/NTU for engineering. Tuition fees subsidised by govt also. Very cheap liao compared to going overseas.

Given the reputation and ranking of the foreign universities, i believe that private sector should not be an issue:

For Engineering
1) Technische Universität München - 54th in world, 29 for Engineering and IT, No.1 in Germany (you honestly think that European companies won't know of them)

2) University of Glasgow - 59th in world, 83 for Arts & Humanities (relevant because Glasgow School of Arts is actually Uni. Glasgow) | 113 for Engineering & IT

3) University of Manchester - 29th in world | 43 for Life Sciences (relevant because of nursing)

4) Trinity College Dublin - 65th in the world | 80 for Life Sciences

Too lazy to search the other foreign uni at SIT.

in comparison,
NUS - 28th in world
NTU - 58th in world
SMU - No ranking (it is only relevant to Singapore)

So overall, SIT is really not too bad especially since got full government support

Somemore, got people apply to other local uni also one, i am sure.
I think it's more convincing if there's a GES of SIT graduates. anyway if i'm not wrong the 1st batch had already graduated in 2011.

BTW those who're still waiting for their application results(SIT/NUS/NTU/SMU) may have to wait even LONGER b'cos the CAT A application is still open(A-lvl), dont expect anything until mid april to early may. So I'm sure your nightmares or insomia wont end so soon
Liquid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #1840

my frens in digipen hasn't graduated that's for sure. and they are the pioneer batch.
horacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #1841

First window of acceptance opening....let's hope I can be classmate with fellow forumers here who applied for newcastle chem eng
stylemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #1842

First window of acceptance opening....let's hope I can be classmate with fellow forumers here who applied for newcastle chem eng
You got accepted already?
fitresix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #1843

Hmm may i know, UOG aerospace System vs TUM EE or CE , which one is better?
Btw, I have GPA 3.42 from SP aerospace Electronic.
AmmLeoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #1844

this is just horrible... no replies from SIT at all.

looks like i gotta plan for something else.. giving myself 1 more week.
wind08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #1845
Master Member

this is just horrible... no replies from SIT at all.

looks like i gotta plan for something else.. giving myself 1 more week.

Relax.. we tend to be impatient because we are nervous and have no faith in ourselves. Not referring to those who applied for SIT but the other unis as well.

FYI, I only got my offer from NTU and SIT-TUM late may.
wind08 and newkidontheblock like this.
BloodAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.