HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

LIFE DURING AND AFTER NIE.

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-05-2014, 02:33 PM   #16

You will do History mods, but you won't do a full load like History majors. Selected Mods. If i had to estimate, you'll probably do year 1/2 History mods. You'll have to pick a second subject to major in. Like for me, I took English/Geo.

So you'll be expected to take English + Geo + Teaching pedagogy mods. There's very little chance to chose 'electives' outside of your needed mods, but it's possible to do them.

Iirc, it's a Bachelor of Arts, secondary route with concentration in History right ? I can't really give you a spec syllabus since you can chose quite alot of different mods to take. But if you're doing history, be mentally prepared to take on SE Asian history. And i think you'll get asked to teach SS too.

yupp BA and they offered me history prior to the interview. does that mean i can only do mods in history and on eonther subject? i won't be able to take other mods in lets say ntu? like different electives maybe? but at least it doesn't sound as hardcore as doing FASS (history) major in NUS. SEA history sounds fun! i was interested in south asian and south east asian studies offered by NUS FASS when i read about it. but SS sounds not as exciting hahaha. will i be able to take lets say tamil/history or english/history as my AS2? with history being my AS1..
tay108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 03:12 PM   #17
Great Supremacy Member

Ts if I wanna be relief teacher where to apply? Can relieve for arts subjects or not ( history ss all those )
Weaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 04:53 PM   #18
Greater Supremacy Member

Ts if I wanna be relief teacher where to apply? Can relieve for arts subjects or not ( history ss all those )
Weaboo, subjects depends on the School. You can indicate on the portal and Schools will contact you if they require assistance in those subjects you mentioned.

For polytechnic graduates, you can apply for Relief Allied Educator (READ) scheme.

Refer to MOE website for more information.
Old 31-05-2014, 10:05 PM   #19
High Supremacy Member

will i be able to take lets say tamil/history or english/history as my AS2? with history being my AS1..
With regards to teaching MT, talk to your NIE/NTU admissions counselors. Tell them about your interest and see what they say. My friend was rejected to teach Malay/Math when she signed up. I think because she did not take Malay at A levels.

But you can fit another subject (AS2) in. History goes with English or Geo or Lit or SS if you so wish. Never seen anyone pair humanities and science together before though.
nyvrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #20
Great Supremacy Member

Weaboo, subjects depends on the School. You can indicate on the portal and Schools will contact you if they require assistance in those subjects you mentioned.

For polytechnic graduates, you can apply for Relief Allied Educator (READ) scheme.

Refer to MOE website for more information.
thanks but if i m subpar in my subjects in secondary school, still can apply boh?
Old 01-06-2014, 01:43 AM   #21

With regards to teaching MT, talk to your NIE/NTU admissions counselors. Tell them about your interest and see what they say. My friend was rejected to teach Malay/Math when she signed up. I think because she did not take Malay at A levels.

But you can fit another subject (AS2) in. History goes with English or Geo or Lit or SS if you so wish. Never seen anyone pair humanities and science together before though.
alright ill talk to them hopefully i do get in first. i did Literature in Tamil in H2 for A's though so i might be able to opt for that along w history.
cuz i feel geog and history is too content heavy.. so ill go w languages (: i guess you can't pair sic and humanities prob cuz its a diff stream so students in arts prob can't choose science AS..
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
High Supremacy Member

alright ill talk to them hopefully i do get in first. i did Literature in Tamil in H2 for A's though so i might be able to opt for that along w history.
cuz i feel geog and history is too content heavy.. so ill go w languages (: i guess you can't pair sic and humanities prob cuz its a diff stream so students in arts prob can't choose science AS..
If you can, go for it. But make sure to do all this before you sign the final contract to start your studies. Once you do, it's very hard to switch.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #23
High Supremacy Member

thanks but if i m subpar in my subjects in secondary school, still can apply boh?
I think they will look more at your Poly/A levels then O levels.
I might be wrong. But no harm trying to apply.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:10 PM   #24
Great Supremacy Member

I think they will look more at your Poly/A levels then O levels.
I might be wrong. But no harm trying to apply.
i see.... just asking cause even though my poly results was above average, they had nothing to do with o lvl subs & i hand almost everything i learnt back then to teacher liao
Old 02-06-2014, 01:19 AM   #25
High Supremacy Member

i see.... just asking cause even though my poly results was above average, they had nothing to do with o lvl subs & i hand almost everything i learnt back then to teacher liao
Me too mostly - only things I ever took back from secondary school was English (which was very badly taught), and math. Needed it for some courses in Uni.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 AM   #26

If you can, go for it. But make sure to do all this before you sign the final contract to start your studies. Once you do, it's very hard to switch.
yeah exactly! heard of my friend's horror story of how she really wanted to be a gp tutor but they offered her english and social studies so she is kinda stuck in sec sch for life :-/
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #27

Question Honours vs Non-Honours

Is there any difference in pay increment for honours and non-honours students?
m0nkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #28
High Supremacy Member

Is there any difference in pay increment for honours and non-honours students?
From my 4 years of teaching, it's purely performance based.
The pay difference is at point of graduation, if you have honors or non-honors. But after that, it's yearly appraisals.
Old 23-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #29
Supremacy Member

From my 4 years of teaching, it's purely performance based.
The pay difference is at point of graduation, if you have honors or non-honors. But after that, it's yearly appraisals.
you still teach in sch?
AceyourMaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2015, 10:50 PM   #30
High Supremacy Member

you still teach in sch?
Nope. left middle of last year.

why leh ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.