Mass Comm degree

emozxs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm finishing my Communications and Media Management diploma in TP, graduating next year.

Would like to get a degree, but the only government uni that has Mass Comm is NTU, and since it's the only one in SG, I'm pretty sure JC students will want to go as well, thus raising the bar even higher.

So I'm looking at places like Curtin Singapore and Kaplan Murdoch. I believe that the cert received after graduation will be the exact same one awarded to the students who study and graduate in Australia (from what I've read, if I'm wrong, please correct me), so will employers still be able to tell that it is a distance learning degree?

I know that Kaplan Murdoch's programme will only start in Sept this year, so there probably won't be many people who can offer information about this, but I do hope I can get some advice from people here.

Overseas studying is not out of the question, but I would prefer not to, in order to not burden my parents further. If there are study loans that are applicable to overseas universities, please do let me know too.

Thanks.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So I'm looking at places like Curtin Singapore and Kaplan Murdoch. I believe that the cert received after graduation will be the exact same one awarded to the students who study and graduate in Australia (from what I've read, if I'm wrong, please correct me), so will employers still be able to tell that it is a distance learning degree?

Yes!

Overseas studying is not out of the question, but I would prefer not to, in order to not burden my parents further. If there are study loans that are applicable to overseas universities, please do let me know too.

There are loans but they do not cover the entire thing. it also depends on how much your guarantor makes.

if u wish to step outside the box, going to EU.. maybe something there.

there is 1 in finland. 4 yr tution free, need to pay for high living expenses
http://www.tamk.fi/media
cost of living
http://www.tamk.fi/cms/tamken.nsf/$all/45AF3492B9BCE066C22575AC00473B31

Last edited:

emozxs

Reaction score
There are loans but they do not cover the entire thing. it also depends on how much your guarantor makes.

if u wish to step outside the box, going to EU.. maybe something there.

there is 1 in finland. 4 yr tution free, need to pay for high living expenses
TAMK - Media and Arts
cost of living
http://www.tamk.fi/cms/tamken.nsf/$all/45AF3492B9BCE066C22575AC00473B31

The Curtin one I'm looking at, can probably get in for 3rd year, only around $30k, so it's not too bad.

The Finland one looks interesting, but it's not really what I'm going for. I'm more interested in Journalism for print and online media. Currently doing my internship at a publication in SPH and I'm mostly enjoying it.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

intime

Reaction score
The Curtin one I'm looking at, can probably get in for 3rd year, only around $30k, so it's not too bad.

The Finland one looks interesting, but it's not really what I'm going for. I'm more interested in Journalism for print and online media. Currently doing my internship at a publication in SPH and I'm mostly enjoying it.

Are both curtin and mudoch offering honours degree?
If not, i dont think either will make you more competitive.

Have you seen the recent IGP for NUS comm and new media and NTU mass comm? Is your GPA near the level?
If yes, just continue to strive hard and build a good portfolio.

Else you can consider UniSIM communication degree. it is not an honours degree too, but at least the number of modules taken is comparable to a 3 year local degree.

emozxs

Reaction score
thank for spelling out what u are interested in.

Curtin 3rd yr, possible, lower tier Uni in OZ gives adv standing like no biz..

30K that is locally or over in OZ? over in OZ right?
Mass Communication degree - Curtin Singapore

Hi Patryn, 30k is for local. I suppose it's actually closer to $17k, sine I would only need to do 2 trimesters if I get in to 3rd year.

If Curtin is a lower tier uni, could you provide me with a few examples of higher tier unis that have good communications programmes please? So far my search has pretty much turned up mostly Curtin and Murdoch results.

If there are higher tiers that I'm eligible for, I wouldn't mind not having advanced standing for them.

emozxs

Reaction score
Are both curtin and mudoch offering honours degree?
If not, i dont think either will make you more competitive.

Have you seen the recent IGP for NUS comm and new media and NTU mass comm? Is your GPA near the level?
If yes, just continue to strive hard and build a good portfolio.

Else you can consider UniSIM communication degree. it is not an honours degree too, but at least the number of modules taken is comparable to a 3 year local degree.

Both websites don't mention honours, so I'll presume that they don't until I get a reply to my queries. May I ask, more competitive with regards to what, my poly diploma?

Yeah, I've checked out both, sadly, my GPA isn't near the levels required, but I do have my major project next semester, so I'll see if it's possible to pull it up. But I honestly doubt my major project will have enough weightage (It's a new component and my year is the first batch, so there are many unclear areas).

Will employers take into consideration the number of modules taken? One of the questions I get is "why would you want to study the same subjects twice?" from other people, because many of the modules in uni, I have taken in poly as well. Would employers/HR not consider the fact that I have taken those modules in poly? Or would they just see that I have advanced standing and feel that my degree isn't on par with others who don't?

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Will employers take into consideration the number of modules taken? One of the questions I get is "why would you want to study the same subjects twice?" from other people, because many of the modules in uni, I have taken in poly as well. Would employers/HR not consider the fact that I have taken those modules in poly? Or would they just see that I have advanced standing and feel that my degree isn't on par with others who don't?

Well, some modules are not "exactly" the same. From an engineering perspective, I know lots of my friends who were from poly who are taking the "same" mods in local uni. But they mention that its with much much more depth and difficulty. Just because the name is the same or even the content seems similar doesnt mean that they would be exactly the same. That's the reason why SG universities are not so liberal with their advance standings and exemptions.

emozxs

Reaction score
Well, some modules are not "exactly" the same. From an engineering perspective, I know lots of my friends who were from poly who are taking the "same" mods in local uni. But they mention that its with much much more depth and difficulty. Just because the name is the same or even the content seems similar doesnt mean that they would be exactly the same. That's the reason why SG universities are not so liberal with their advance standings and exemptions.

I agree, but for me, like some modules I took - Radio production, TV production, Photography, I think it's pretty hard to go into much more "depth", if you understand where I'm coming from. For the theoretical subjects like Media Law, I know that they will be much better to take in uni because they will be more in depth.

But most of the journalism writing/feature writing/radio production modules, I'm struggling to think how they can be made more in depth because we've already been taught all the "theory" and technical terms we use in the field (I know because in the newspaper we don't even use half the terms we were taught in class). But that's just my thinking, they could be more in depth, I wouldn't know until someone who did Mass Comm in poly and uni comes forward and explains.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Locally no honors. Oz comm degree honors is an addition yr.
Most if not all Oz DL here do not offer honors yr.
Jcu offer that but in psych

Research shows we only apply less than 10% of what we learn in uni. So no pt going to a good uni learning harder things?

Hr does not hire ppl, hiring manager do that.
Hr just process paper work, weed out the ppl who didn't meet the req. then what's left goes to hiring person

Since u interning ask your manager how he or she goes about selecting a right person?

Uni vs poly... Try digging in their detail syllabus.
Mizzou is one of the top j school in states
http://convergence.journalism.missouri.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/4804-Syllabus-Fall-20121.pdf

Last edited:

emozxs

Reaction score
Locally no honors. Oz comm degree honors is an addition yr.
Most if not all Oz DL here do not offer honors yr.
Jcu offer that but in psych

Research shows we only apply less than 10% of what we learn in uni. So no pt going to a good uni learning harder things?

Hr does not hire ppl, hiring manager do that.
Hr just process paper work, weed out the ppl who didn't meet the req. then what's left goes to hiring person

Since u interning ask your manager how he or she goes about selecting a right person?

Uni vs poly... Try digging in their detail syllabus.
Mizzou is one of the top j school in states
http://convergence.journalism.missouri.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/4804-Syllabus-Fall-20121.pdf

Yeah, I'll ask my supervisor how they select people.

I did look at unis in USA, but it's expensive, and I'd like to not have to burden my parents too much. I want to do my degree locally so I can get a study loan and pay it back on my own once I start working. I've looked at places like Missouri and Ohio and all, I did get a positive response from Ohio, but again, finances are coming in at close to the top of my considerations right now.

If it was up to me, I would rather just start work after poly so that I can help out with the family finances, but according to my colleagues, the degree will be very important in both career progression and pay increase (at least, in our paper), so I decided to look into getting one first. I know it might not be the best motivation to get a degree, but if it helps me get a higher starting pay so I can contribute more to my family's finances, I would do it.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not asking u to go for states, just asking u to looking their detail sybllbus as 1 example since u said u don't know how can degree be harder than what u learn in poly

If u wanna do curtin etc, look deep

States top j school admission can be harder than local ivy

FYI as long as u not apply, all inquires is a good est not guarantee plus in states credit transfer is next to nothing.

Well in your area, degree is a gateway pass that it's all about politics and butt kissing. My pal got out of sph to go into teaching. Iirc she has 2 masters degree.

Last edited:

SevenSeals

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'll ask my supervisor how they select people.

I did look at unis in USA, but it's expensive, and I'd like to not have to burden my parents too much. I want to do my degree locally so I can get a study loan and pay it back on my own once I start working. I've looked at places like Missouri and Ohio and all, I did get a positive response from Ohio, but again, finances are coming in at close to the top of my considerations right now.

If it was up to me, I would rather just start work after poly so that I can help out with the family finances, but according to my colleagues, the degree will be very important in both career progression and pay increase (at least, in our paper), so I decided to look into getting one first. I know it might not be the best motivation to get a degree, but if it helps me get a higher starting pay so I can contribute more to my family's finances, I would do it.

Hey dude. I'm your senior (from Comms & Media Mgmt as well), graduated in 2013. While I'm in NS now I have quite a number of female friends pursuing their degrees in Kaplan (Murdorch) and SIM GE (U of Buffalo Comms). So far no one I know of are going the Curtin route. PM me, we can talk some cock there.

emozxs

Reaction score
I am not asking u to go for states, just asking u to looking their detail sybllbus as 1 example since u said u don't know how can degree be harder.

If u wanna do curtin etc, look deep

States top j school admission can be harder than local ivy

Oh okay, didn't know that was what you meant. Thanks for the URL, and yeah, I know that top journalism schools can definitely be harder than local unis.

intime

Reaction score
Both websites don't mention honours, so I'll presume that they don't until I get a reply to my queries. May I ask, more competitive with regards to what, my poly diploma?

Yeah, I've checked out both, sadly, my GPA isn't near the levels required, but I do have my major project next semester, so I'll see if it's possible to pull it up. But I honestly doubt my major project will have enough weightage (It's a new component and my year is the first batch, so there are many unclear areas).

A good honours degree may make you more competitive and allow you to be short-listed for interview when employers are filtering out job applications.

You will have to ask yourself will your curtin or murdoch "potentially maybe non-honours" degrees make you stand out in a sea of good honours degrees.

But if you have an extremely good portfolio, then that's a different story.

Regarding your GPA, I think you can still try for NUS and NTU. You really have to make sure you have a very good portfolio. Have you been sending articles to news agencies for publish? Do you have many articles being published in local new agencies? Have you been doing freelance or been a local special correspondence covering Singapore for overseas news agency?

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's not uncommon to find oz grad in sg without honors.
It's more impt to have a great portfolio
In this area of writing ppl it's competitive ppl with English, or liberal arts degree all could apply.

Oz grad with good Bach can slip honors for masters. With that only those cannot make the jump read honors or postgrad dip.

It's best for TS to use your internship to network and build up your portfolio

Oh instead of guessing how competitive it is with JC ppl etc. cop are published each yr. if u are no where near 3.7 then chances are slim
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_files/IGP/NTU_IGP.pdf

Last edited:

emozxs

Reaction score
A good honours degree may make you more competitive and allow you to be short-listed for interview when employers are filtering out job applications.

You will have to ask yourself will your curtin or murdoch "potentially maybe non-honours" degrees make you stand out in a sea of good honours degrees.

But if you have an extremely good portfolio, then that's a different story.

Regarding your GPA, I think you can still try for NUS and NTU. You really have to make sure you have a very good portfolio. Have you been sending articles to news agencies for publish? Do you have many articles being published in local new agencies? Have you been doing freelance or been a local special correspondence covering Singapore for overseas news agency?

I have around 5 or 6 articles that have been published in a newspaper under SPH, a proper broadsheet, not like TNP or Today.

I do freelance photography for a magazine and my photography got me into TP through JPSAE. Even so, I don't think my portfolio is very good. Maybe just above average or average.

emozxs

Reaction score
It's not uncommon to find oz grad in sg without honors.
It's more impt to have a great portfolio
In this area of writing ppl it's competitive ppl with English, or liberal arts degree all could apply.

Oz grad with good Bach can slip honors for masters. With that only those cannot make the jump read honors or postgrad dip.

It's best for TS to use your internship to network and build up your portfolio

Oh instead of guessing how competitive it is with JC ppl etc. cop are published each yr. if u are no where near 3.7 then chances are slim
http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/oad2/website_files/IGP/NTU_IGP.pdf

I am using internship to build up portfolio, but it builds up more on the editorial side than the photography side, so I guess I have equal amounts on both now.

Yep, I didn't guess, I know the 90th percentile for NTU is around 3.7 and 10th percentile is around 3.3 if my memory serves me right. My GPA isn't near 3.7, that's why I'm not looking at NTU since I know it's near impossible to get in.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep, I didn't guess, I know the 90th percentile for NTU is around 3.7 and 10th percentile is around 3.3 if my memory serves me right. My GPA isn't near 3.7, that's why I'm not looking at NTU since I know it's near impossible to get in.

That's data back in 2010 or what? 2013 shows (if u were to click on the URL above) communication studies 10%tile is 3.68, art/media design is 3.18.

If not near 3.7 but 3.5 base on your memory it's still not impossible, base on 2013 cop it is near impossible

Last edited:

emozxs

Reaction score
That's data back in 2010 or what? 2013 shows (if u were to click on the URL above) communication studies 10%tile is 3.68, art/media design is 3.18.

If not near 3.7 but 3.5 base on your memory it's still not impossible, base on 2013 cop it is near impossible

Nope, I looked at it last year, so I'd assume it's 2012 data. Anyway, talking about NTU COP is redundant, I can't make it in, no point arguing over how high or low their COP is.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.