Need help in taking A levels as a private candidate

Vicccl

Reaction score

*How to retake A levels as private candidate properly?

Hey there. I took A levels in my school last year and my results are unexpectedly bad. I did study hard for A levels but something happened (health problem) to me right before A levels exam period. I wasn't really focus while I was doing the papers. For a few papers, I didn't even had any sleep the night before as I stepped into the examination hall. I know that I can't use it as an excuse for not doing well, after all no one cares if you do badly or not.

My results are BCD/C and I failed GP. I have no idea why I failed my GP too. I could have repeated in my school for another year because of my GP. But many told me that I can get into several courses in NTU based on last year's IGP. A friend of mine got into NTU computer science the year before with the exact score as me. So I was on high hope thinking that at least I can go somewhere because I'm quite interested in CS and I don't have the energy to study in school again.

However, this year's IGP shot up tremendously and even NTU's Mechanical Engineer(CCD/C) is very selectively on their admission this year. So now, I am rejected by SMU/NTU/NUS/SUTD including all my appeals to these schools.*

I feel very miserable because all of my friends had received their courses and on their way to local unis. Almost none of the people I know didn't make it into local uni. I feel very left out and not really sure what am I suppose to do. I wonder if I am still able to get into local unis when I apply next year. What if the grade requirements jack up again? It's hard to predict it.*

But I have figured out that I should give myself a 2nd shot by retaking a levels as a private candidate next year(this year's A levels registration is already over). I'm serving ns now and luckily I was posted to driver vocation. It is somewhat a 8-5 vocation and have much lesser workload than clerks. All you do is drive and park yourself there waiting for the activities by details to end. I have all the time to myself in ns and I don't see a reason why I shouldn't retake. Furthermore, I will live with regrets in the future if I don't take this chance to retake my A levels because I'm wasting a lot of time in camp doing nothing.*

Should I do my A levels badly again. I would then consider the possible private unis (SIM UOL, SIM RMIT, DL etc) that I can enroll in. I have a good 8months for me to do thorough research on them after I ORD.*

The purpose of my post is mainly to seek help from people who have succeeded in retaking A levels as a soldier and have bettered their A levels scores. I am considering to take part-time A level curriculum at a private institution since I am able to book out almost everyday. Additionally, I hope that someone can donate good H2 econs notes to me or advise on good economics tutor that I can look for since I got a D for it.

I also have questions on SPA examination as a private candidate. Like how is the paper like and how can I prepare for it. Is there any special techniques in answering the paper? I know it is especially difficult to retake H2 science subjects with 20% of it comes from SPA examination which I am totally clueless of.*

Also can I still be able to use my PW and MT in my result slip next year?*

Looking forward to great advices and people who have previously embarked on this retaking route. I wish to learn and know how you all cope and manage your time on your own accord. I NEED ALOT OF HELP.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!*

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you wanna go for public university, retake As will be a good choice.

However if you wanna save that effort, you can always go SIM UOL or RMIT. But UOL is a difficult course to do, and to get good results is not as easy as what you think.
RMIT does not offer Honours degree, so unless without honours is not a concern for you, RMIT is much easier which you can go for.

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score

*How to retake A levels as private candidate properly?

Hey there. I took A levels in my school last year and my results are unexpectedly bad. I did study hard for A levels but something happened (health problem) to me right before A levels exam period. I wasn't really focus while I was doing the papers. For a few papers, I didn't even had any sleep the night before as I stepped into the examination hall. I know that I can't use it as an excuse for not doing well, after all no one cares if you do badly or not.

My results are BCD/C and I failed GP. I have no idea why I failed my GP too. I could have repeated in my school for another year because of my GP. But many told me that I can get into several courses in NTU based on last year's IGP. A friend of mine got into NTU computer science the year before with the exact score as me. So I was on high hope thinking that at least I can go somewhere because I'm quite interested in CS and I don't have the energy to study in school again.

However, this year's IGP shot up tremendously and even NTU's Mechanical Engineer(CCD/C) is very selectively on their admission this year. So now, I am rejected by SMU/NTU/NUS/SUTD including all my appeals to these schools.*

I feel very miserable because all of my friends had received their courses and on their way to local unis. Almost none of the people I know didn't make it into local uni. I feel very left out and not really sure what am I suppose to do. I wonder if I am still able to get into local unis when I apply next year. What if the grade requirements jack up again? It's hard to predict it.*

But I have figured out that I should give myself a 2nd shot by retaking a levels as a private candidate next year(this year's A levels registration is already over). I'm serving ns now and luckily I was posted to driver vocation. It is somewhat a 8-5 vocation and have much lesser workload than clerks. All you do is drive and park yourself there waiting for the activities by details to end. I have all the time to myself in ns and I don't see a reason why I shouldn't retake. Furthermore, I will live with regrets in the future if I don't take this chance to retake my A levels because I'm wasting a lot of time in camp doing nothing.*

Should I do my A levels badly again. I would then consider the possible private unis (SIM UOL, SIM RMIT, DL etc) that I can enroll in. I have a good 8months for me to do thorough research on them after I ORD.*

The purpose of my post is mainly to seek help from people who have succeeded in retaking A levels as a soldier and have bettered their A levels scores. I am considering to take part-time A level curriculum at a private institution since I am able to book out almost everyday. Additionally, I hope that someone can donate good H2 econs notes to me or advise on good economics tutor that I can look for since I got a D for it.

I also have questions on SPA examination as a private candidate. Like how is the paper like and how can I prepare for it. Is there any special techniques in answering the paper? I know it is especially difficult to retake H2 science subjects with 20% of it comes from SPA examination which I am totally clueless of.*

Also can I still be able to use my PW and MT in my result slip next year?*

Looking forward to great advices and people who have previously embarked on this retaking route. I wish to learn and know how you all cope and manage your time on your own accord. I NEED ALOT OF HELP.

Thank you so much!!!!!!!*
u cud but I think u shud still re-take ur Gp as a back up in the future

houseboyz

Reaction score
Hi, I happened to chance upon your post.

PLEASE TRY TO RETAKE YOUR EXAM THIS YEAR. You should write in to SEAB about your interest in retaking the A levels, you just need to pay extra $50 for each subject which is $250 more. I registered late for the exam too.

I have been through the same thing as you. (Didnt do well for A levels, went to army and retake my A levels) Im here to tell you that it is possible to improve for A levels while serving the army. My grades jumped from BCD/CE to AAB/BC when i retake my A levels while serving.

How you study is highly dependent on yourself. Firstly, you need to recognise the reason of why you fail the first time round. Be it finding excuses or what. You need to know your strength and weakness before engaging on method to study. If you think that your knowledge of the subject is strong and the reason because you didnt do well is purely cause of your sickness, get those vitamin pills or whatever **** to make sure nothing of such nonsense happen again. i personally think that finding an institution is totally unnecessary. I rather you spend your time wisely revising and memorising or practising on your own. Hence, i strongly against you enrolling into an institution. Remember you have limited time to study and you wont want to waste more of that travelling to school, know more people then have to dwell into meaningless conversation about why they are here and you are here.

Secondly, you should seek help from your friends, especially those in army that have good grades. Ask them for advice, help or even notes. They will surely be kind enough to help you. I got several notes this way from my friends. Then, you MUST tell your superior about your current situation. They will surely show sympathise and pray that they give you leeway here and there. If you dont speak up, they wont know and there is no point being shy.

Thirdly, get in contact with your ex teacher or ex classmate. Try to get the latest prelim papers after the prelim exam period. This will actually be your most valuable material other than your notes actually.

I got my grades without hiring any teachers, just the help from my army friends and myself.

You can use PW and chinese result for uni. For SPA, im not very sure but i remember it is valid for 2 years.

PLEASE, take your A Level this year and write in your SEAB ASAP.

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
guys have it a lot easier than gals who try to retake. not being anal about anything, cos guys have the network in army, esp there is bound to be a lot of A-level scholars in the camp to give u a helping hand.

for young mm to network at that level is pretty hard due to several factors.

schools/institute may be a good option for those who have weak knowledge In certain subject and require extra lessons to learn becos they never really understand the classes in JC to start with.

Vicccl

Reaction score

PLEASE TRY TO RETAKE YOUR EXAM THIS YEAR. You should write in to SEAB about your interest in retaking the A levels, you just need to pay extra $50 for each subject which is $250 more. I registered late for the exam too.

I have been through the same thing as you. (Didnt do well for A levels, went to army and retake my A levels) Im here to tell you that it is possible to improve for A levels while serving the army. My grades jumped from BCD/CE to AAB/BC when i retake my A levels while serving.

How you study is highly dependent on yourself. Firstly, you need to recognise the reason of why you fail the first time round. Be it finding excuses or what. You need to know your strength and weakness before engaging on method to study. If you think that your knowledge of the subject is strong and the reason because you didnt do well is purely cause of your sickness, get those vitamin pills or whatever **** to make sure nothing of such nonsense happen again. i personally think that finding an institution is totally unnecessary. I rather you spend your time wisely revising and memorising or practising on your own. Hence, i strongly against you enrolling into an institution. Remember you have limited time to study and you wont want to waste more of that travelling to school, know more people then have to dwell into meaningless conversation about why they are here and you are here.

Secondly, you should seek help from your friends, especially those in army that have good grades. Ask them for advice, help or even notes. They will surely be kind enough to help you. I got several notes this way from my friends. Then, you MUST tell your superior about your current situation. They will surely show sympathise and pray that they give you leeway here and there. If you dont speak up, they wont know and there is no point being shy.

Thirdly, get in contact with your ex teacher or ex classmate. Try to get the latest prelim papers after the prelim exam period. This will actually be your most valuable material other than your notes actually.

I got my grades without hiring any teachers, just the help from my army friends and myself.

You can use PW and chinese result for uni. For SPA, im not very sure but i remember it is valid for 2 years.

PLEASE, take your A Level this year and write in your SEAB ASAP.

Thank you and really appreciate your reply!! You took 4months to jump your grades?! That's incredible man! I wish I can do the same as you. But then... I doubt myself can do this good in 4months because I just recover from the sadness and agony of my results and rejections. I fear that I will do worse.

My econs is really really weak and I don't think I can study it on my own. What's your combi? You mind if I pm you to ask you more about your feat??

Oh and what's your vocation in army?

Vicccl

Reaction score
guys have it a lot easier than gals who try to retake. not being anal about anything, cos guys have the network in army, esp there is bound to be a lot of A-level scholars in the camp to give u a helping hand.

for young mm to network at that level is pretty hard due to several factors.

schools/institute may be a good option for those who have weak knowledge In certain subject and require extra lessons to learn becos they never really understand the classes in JC to start with.

yeaa trueee. but these institutions are expensive.. :S

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
Thank you and really appreciate your reply!! You took 4months to jump your grades?! That's incredible man! I wish I can do the same as you. But then... I doubt myself can do this good in 4months because I just recover from the sadness and agony of my results and rejections. I fear that I will do worse.

My econs is really really weak and I don't think I can study it on my own. What's your combi? You mind if I pm you to ask you more about your feat??

Oh and what's your vocation in army?
u looking for econs tution??

if u stay near redhill area, I can help u ask a uncle if he wanna teech u tut or not. but this shushu is not a tutor, but he is pretty good in econs

my cuz went to a cheap place for study. I think dunno was it mdis or CDA

zanelle

Reaction score
a levels retake halppp

HIIIIII, im in the same situation as you!! looking out for choices in my life right now as well and i chanced upon this post! My grades are CDD/C GP: D PW:B. I didn't get accepted into any Uni as well. Was so dejected by the outcome of my results and appeal results i went on escapade to Europe ahah. when i came back, i missed the registration for private unis. oh well. and i missed the registration for this year's retake as well. so now im thinking of retaking next year, but that will mean i'll be wasting quite a bit of my time. Im a girl.. so my choices are quite limited. time is a serious factor here for me )):

But anyways, my concern is the registration for A levels this year! Can i really register this for this year's retake by paying more? SEAB will accept? how did you go about writing in to them? Share more about it to me plsss thank you so much! :D

seianko

Suspended
Reaction score
HIIIIII, im in the same situation as you!! looking out for choices in my life right now as well and i chanced upon this post! My grades are CDD/C GP: D PW:B. I didn't get accepted into any Uni as well. Was so dejected by the outcome of my results and appeal results i went on escapade to Europe ahah. when i came back, i missed the registration for private unis. oh well. and i missed the registration for this year's retake as well. so now im thinking of retaking next year, but that will mean i'll be wasting quite a bit of my time. Im a girl.. so my choices are quite limited. time is a serious factor here for me )):

But anyways, my concern is the registration for A levels this year! Can i really register this for this year's retake by paying more? SEAB will accept? how did you go about writing in to them? Share more about it to me plsss thank you so much! :D
depends what u like to accomplish in life. a degree may not be needed. can go into 2 years dip course, while working

Vicccl

Reaction score
u looking for econs tution??

if u stay near redhill area, I can help u ask a uncle if he wanna teech u tut or not. but this shushu is not a tutor, but he is pretty good in econs

my cuz went to a cheap place for study. I think dunno was it mdis or CDA

hey. thanks man. But i stay in the east side so redhill is pretty too far for me. :( Damn.. you have any other lobangs? I'm trying to find less expensive to retake abd i dont think i can do it alone

FappingKing

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Eh my results worse than yours i got into ntu civil engineering this year :s22:

Only thing is i didnt fail gp :s22:

Vicccl

Reaction score
wew

hey there! did you manage to write in to seab and apply a levels this year?

greensubmarine

Reaction score
urgent!!

Hello, I'll be enlisting in May soon and am planning to re-take my A'levels in Nov. Is it possible for me to re-take this year? I heard that we are granted 14 days of leave upon completing 12 months of service but I'm enlisting late so I'm not quite sure :(

Would really appreciate anyone's help in this matter! :)

Havok_ex

Reaction score
Hello, I'll be enlisting in May soon and am planning to re-take my A'levels in Nov. Is it possible for me to re-take this year? I heard that we are granted 14 days of leave upon completing 12 months of service but I'm enlisting late so I'm not quite sure :(

PES A/B? Might be difficult for you if you want to retake this year. But most officers are kind enough to let you take leave on the day you have exams. All NSFs have leave. Even in your first year of service you have 14 days leave, but you just cant anyhow take, thats all. Not until you are out of your training phase.

greensubmarine

Reaction score
PES A/B? Might be difficult for you if you want to retake this year. But most officers are kind enough to let you take leave on the day you have exams. All NSFs have leave. Even in your first year of service you have 14 days leave, but you just cant anyhow take, thats all. Not until you are out of your training phase.

PES B! Ah I see, thanks so much for the info :) Btw if I register late, do I pay $50 extra per subject or just $50? I read the examination instructions but it's kinda unclear

tutonic

Reaction score
PES B! Ah I see, thanks so much for the info :) Btw if I register late, do I pay $50 extra per subject or just $50? I read the examination instructions but it's kinda unclear

Best way to find out is just to give SEAB a call or write in to them. Time is of the essence (seeing as to how you are already past the deadline). You shouldn't pin your hopes on the response time from the people here.

Last edited:

knightnate96

Reaction score

Hey bro, I'm in the same scenario as you, can you PM so that we can chat regarding this area? Or email me at mynewlatop@hotmail.com

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.