HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

NTU/NUS/SMU 2018-2019 Intake

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #31

NTU year 1 but gonna tell you guys some of my experiences in application.

I have a poly GPA of 3.64 and applied for NTU econs in 2014, IGP was 3.63 the year before. I didnt get in and got offered into sports sci instead which was around 3.4x/3.5x at that time. If your GPA is around last year's 10th percentile, it is still highly unlikely you get in. Apply for courses which you have a solid chance of getting in,say at least 30th percentile.

I tried for NUS FASS too and previous year IGP was 3.68. 0.4 higher than mine. Needless to say, I didnt get in despite other achievements.

I applied for NTU Linguistics and the 10th percentile at that point of time was 3.5x with 3.7x as the 90th percentile. I got in pretty easily despite an interview.

A piece of advice from me, if you are just an above average poly student but not top tier e.g GPA3.5-3-7.5 go for NTU. higher chance of getting in.

if you are between 3.7-3.8 for SMU.

NUS is the hardest to geti n as a poly grad, you need a solid 3.8 and above to get in.

For guys, please do not delay your application thinking that you can afford to choose during NS. The poly grade inflation is probably going to continue. now it may be 3.5 for a course but 2/3 years later it might become 3.7 for 10th percentile to get in.That was what happened to NUS during my time
Dear Ji Young, your advice for poly grads not to procrastinate in their decision / application is valid and timely. The next few months is a window that cannot be missed because as you pointed out the CGPA for the Big 3 has been rising relentlessly. Indeed, current graduating diploma guys may be lured to ease up on their uni / course place hunt due to the time gap by NS.

Thank you.
Plow98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 07:38 AM   #32

Can i just make a point that the course u take isnt as important as which uni u go to. Social sci is good in its own way, but if u take it just to get into uni,u wont like the course and the subsequent jobs available. Better to do something more relevant and something in your interests.
Jadajada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:36 AM   #33

Can i just make a point that the course u take isnt as important as which uni u go to. Social sci is good in its own way, but if u take it just to get into uni,u wont like the course and the subsequent jobs available. Better to do something more relevant and something in your interests.
A wise old fella once taught: "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Identify that course that dove-tailed your passion, thereafter select the best Uni to deliver the starter Bachelor Degree for your journey. Once done, lock your focus on the target and march on. Your pace and steps may vary along the way, but the target remains sacrosanct.

Namasté everyone.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:46 AM   #34

Do they take cca as consideration? Throughout my past 5 sems i never join any cca

My cgpa so far for the first 5 sems is 3.87, got chance go uni?

Last edited by Theoneguy; 10-10-2017 at 10:49 PM..
Theoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #35

Do they take cca as consideration? Throughout my past 5 sems i never join any cca cus im the introvert type of person.

My cgpa so far for the first 5 sems is 3.87, got chance go uni?
I have never joined any CCA too and got a GPA of 3.64. I still made it to uni so you definitely can too
LEEJIYOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:08 PM   #36

Without rain nothing grows
Also there will be no rainbows

Do learn to embrace the storms of your life, dear David. Your cgpa setback is but a storm and, be assured, sunshine will soon return to warm your beautiful anatta again.

Cheer up man.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #37

I have never joined any CCA too and got a GPA of 3.64. I still made it to uni so you definitely can too
Glad to hear this, look like i got hope and thx btw
Theoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:24 AM   #38

CGPA 3.94 for NUS BComp (InfoSec). Any chance ?

Last edited by Plow98; 06-10-2017 at 12:58 PM..
Old 06-10-2017, 12:55 PM   #39

Indian guy spotted
Not necessarily. It is a respectful greeting by practitioners of Yoga. A recognition that there within you is a Devine Spark. Same with Qigong.

People from Sri Lanka north to India, Tibet, Xinjiang and east across to Inner Mongolia to Korea, Japan and south to Mekong countries of SE Asia are intimate with this form of greeting.

Namaste means "I bow to the Devine in you".

' you ' refers to that being that is now labelled with your present name. But who really are you before you were given your present name/identification by your parents soon after your birth. Really ... Who are you?

As for my temporary racial identification: The body I now use was produce/born to a good Chinese couple and they gave me my present name. This body will expire (return to dust) in about 30K days and I will have to leave my given name behind to continue my journey.

Amituofo
Old 06-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #40

CGPA 3.94 for NUS BComp (InfoSec). Any chance ?
Pretty sure your chances are extremely high, with that GPA I'm honestly surprised if they don't accept you.
RoyL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #41

I'm the formless being, the seer of sight, thinker of thoughts, hearer of sound, knower of the known.

This body is mortal and always held by death. It is the abode of that Self which is immortal and without body.
When in the body (by thinking this body is I and I am this body) the Self is held by pleasure and pain.
So long as he is in the body, he cannot get free from pleasure and pain. But when he is free of the body (when he knows himself different from the body), then neither pleasure nor pain touches him.
He who reaches the world of Brahman, does not return, yea, he does not return.
Thank you. Less we be chastened by dear moderators for digressing from the spirit of this thread, we should stay with 'Degree Program and Courses'.

Amituofo
Old 06-10-2017, 09:24 PM   #42

Reminder: please keep in topic

Other than that, all questions regarding admissions for next year are welcome - ask away
Dear Mod, is there a thread here that deals with Undergrad Scholarship please. Want to be read all about the subject cuz I need a scholarship. Thank you.

Amituofo
Old 06-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #43

Heads up for mature applicants, start taking SATs early! It'll help if you start early so you can retake if you don't do well initially! Also, a consistent career path is essential (not been job hopping)!
Occifer&Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:42 AM   #44
Junior Moderator

Dear Mod, is there a thread here that deals with Undergrad Scholarship please. Want to be read all about the subject cuz I need a scholarship. Thank you.

Amituofo
Hi there

marigoldhl is not the moderator. I am the resident moderator of the Academic Section. You may want to use the search function if you are looking for the undergrad scholarship thread. If you cannot find it, you can always start one

I hope you have a good time here. All the best.

O

Official TVB Dramas Discussion | List of your favourite shows
PL Clubs 2017/18 season match schedules | F1 2018 Season

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ottoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:53 AM   #45
Junior Moderator

Moderator's Note
TS has been changed from darksiedluv to marigoldhl.
Usual rules apply. Thanks.

O

Official TVB Dramas Discussion | List of your favourite shows
PL Clubs 2017/18 season match schedules | F1 2018 Season

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ottoke is online now   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.