NUS Vs. NTU Vs. SMU Business Administration

rollbread

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are you for real?

Definition of Egoistic:

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=egoistic"

"limited to or caring only about yourself and your own needs"

Please tell me how SMU Students only care about themselves and their own needs.

Also please read this thread over again and quote any instances where forum posters "cant stand people talking bad about X university"? All universities have their own unique strength and benefits that are being offered to students.

Ah Boy, the word I said is Egotistic, not Egoistic. :s22:

Since you adore your uni so much then carry on with it. You should wait till u graduated, starting working then give suggestions and comments to others. Your replies are so amusing, all you know is just hearsay from outside.

Btw to Weaboo, actually quite alot of students there are elitist, family are rich or have connection. But nonetheless most of them are alright to work and befriend with. Just take note to brush up to your present yourself better and be more outspoken before starting your school. Good luck to your school.

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score

Since you adore your uni so much then carry on with it. You should wait till u graduated, starting working then give suggestions and comments to others. Your replies are so amusing, all you know is just hearsay from outside.

Btw to Weaboo, actually quite alot of students there are elitist, family are rich or have connection. But nonetheless most of them are alright to work and befriend with. Just take note to brush up to your present yourself better and be more outspoken before starting your school. Good luck to your school.
thanks. hope whatever choice i make will be good for me.

Nosferato4

Reaction score

Definition of Egotistic

egotistic - definition of egotistic by The Free Dictionary

A conceited, boastful person.A selfish, self-centered person.

So I stand corrected. You think that people coming from a particular uni that post their opinions here are conceited, boastful, selfish and self -centred. I don't see much difference from the term "egoistic"

So according to you people that have not started working have no right to speak and voice their opinion to others.

If all I know hearsay from outside, where do you than, get your opoinions from? Observation and experience? Most students having a diploma would have gone thru some form of that (even if it is not in-depth) and they would have a mentor or supervisor to advice them and guide them with regards to e work force/what employers look out for.

Would you think or consider that all those bloomsberg/CNN buisness weekly interviews and reports with biz CEOs and biz trends or the Havard Business Review just mere "heresay"??

You still have not replied my question still. Look over this thread again and tell me again how people from the particular university you mentioned are selfish and self-centred and all manner of demeaning to you.

While you're at it I'd love to hear your opinion as to why you think I "adore" "x" university so much. Is it because of the main points i state based off facts I state or your inference of these facts to be something else?

If you want to rebuke someone's stanpoint please do so in a logical manner backed by evidence supporting your point instead of brushing other's off simply by implying "LOLgetmoreexperiencethancometalktome"

You are hardly amusing at all.

culture_counter

Reaction score
For business/ accountancy bachelor degrees, it seems generally:

NTU - Cheap & good, catered mainly for the heartlanders type who wants it cheaper, faster, better, only 3 years.

SMU - long drawn training with plenty of expensive internships, cater and attractive for offsprings of rich parents who own businesses, 4 years.

NUS - Too academic for practical business use, for those who really want to go into academia or just for reputation sake, 3+1 year option. 3 yrs opt out basic degree without honours.

Just 2 cents worth of hard truths...

Last edited:

aidilfitri

Reaction score
But since i've been asked to clarify, i shall do so: (and yes, i'm from SMU, not SIM)

Yes, i'm sorry to destory the fairy tale of many many students who even think the median salary is 3000. lemme share some of the methodology they use for the statistics: i know people in career centre who does the survey results.

Temp work = employed
Contract = employed
Offered, but did not take the job = also considered employed.

if someone works in the UK and earns 2.5k pounds, convert it to sgd and u have 7k. I've been offered 4 jobs and i'm not ashamed to disclose them, i'm the average student with average grades, so i should paint a pretty accurate picture. As for what is the median pay, i have not said it's 3000. I only said the minimum cannot be 3000. For those who think NUS/SMU grads draw min 3k, you seriously need to get out of your fishbowl.

Here's what i've been offered so far.

Maybank = 2450
HSBC = 2450
Citco = 2700
PwC = 2400
Merrill ctt = 2600 (without graveyard shift allowance)
HP = 2650

Firms my friends in SMU AND NUS have been offered

HSBC = 2450
Credit suisse ops ctt/perm = 2600/3300+allowance (doing ops graveyard shift)
Barclays ops contract, grave yard shift = 2600
Morgan Stanley ops perm = 3300*
Cummins contract = 2300*
KPMG audit = 2500 (100 more for SMU cos they studied 1 more year)
EY = 2400
PwC = 2400 even with *
Marketing firm = 2800*
Merrill ctt = 3000
UOB = 2500 (normal)/3500* (MA)
Accenture = 4000*/2800
HP ctt = 2600/2300
HSBC/Citibank/UBS MAs >4000*
Deutsche MA = >4000*
Macquarie IB = 8500*
Bank of Tokyo-Mitsu = 2080 - 2400* (depends on grades)

* denotes Cum Laude and above.
MA = management associate programmes.

Well....see for yourself, how many hit the 3000 mark? Those who did are usually second upepr and above in prestigious MA programms, or working in ops, where the pay per hour is pathetic.

old post but if the stats could be skewed then, it can be skewed now too.
http://forum.brightsparks.com.sg/showthread.php?t=329

Last edited:

aidilfitri

Reaction score
NTU - Cheap & good, catered mainly for the heartlanders type who wants it cheaper, faster, better, only 3 years.

SMU - long drawn training with plenty of expensive internships, cater and attractive for offsprings of rich parents who own businesses, 4 years.

NUS - Too academic for practical business use, for those who really want to go into academia or just for reputation sake, 3+1 year option. 3 yrs opt out basic degree without honours.

agree with all of it except that NUS offers very good internship opportunities too because of its wider alumni base that it can tap on.

and the above reason is why I wouldn't recommend NTU to anyone either.

Last edited:

Nosferato4

Reaction score
guess like you have to get cum laude & above or bust :(

Depends on what you want bro:

Graduate Employment Survey 2013 (Published 2014) | Salary.sg - Your Salary in Singapore

The post from brightspark may be a good gauge? But is releatively old. If you look at the new GES 2014 based on 2013

Smu Lee kong chian business (cum laude) > NTU business and accountancy dual degree (starting pay)

(Something interesting here is that it is not specified that cum laude genereally has to be double degree for smu, and may already provide an additional plus point if this is a case, than you will have to ask yourself:

Is having a cum laude with just double major more marketable than a double degree or vice versa? Is NTU's double degree more "shiny" because of their ranking? What job do you really want? If you want to be a civil serpant in e long term NTU should be your choice because they often "go safe and by the book-relevant business; suatainabe and stable tactics". (U know what govt like this style of teaching rite? Hehehe)

Smu focus more on innovation, creativity and out of the box ideologies, to make a difference, to constantly change and innovate.

To sum up, smu specializes in innovation, change and creativity to adopt to rapid changes for business

NTU specializes in administration and suatainable, stable development for business

than again, this is based on my poly lecturer who was from NTU business but it is an opinion and you should ask around more for a better and clearer overview

Oh I also found out that SMU provides internships to many presrigeous overseas uni's. It is one of the, if not top international schools to go, for the business undergraduate program. U may wish to do more research on this (P.S you may not find havard on the rankings because it does not offer undergraduate programs for business, only masters)

As mentioned by another poster, NUS and SMU provide wider overseas exchange programs and internships. NUS provides internships to pennsylvania but not sure of wharton biz school is included (u may wish to find out more from our NUS friends)

Hmm, in my personal opinion, even with a handul of graduates earning a 5 figure sum in SMU, it will still br very hard to scale the figures. Idk about in the past, ( that thread is quite old) but currently SMU has the largest cohort intake of biz students and they have a population of 700+ and a bigger sample size over NTU and NUS. If anything, it would make the figures more credible.

actually quite alot of students there are elitist, family are rich or have connection. But nonetheless most of them are alright to work and befriend with. Just take note to brush up to your present yourself better and be more outspoken before starting your school. Good luck to your school.

You got statistics to prove? And yes, according to your logic quite a lot of students accross all 3 unis are "elitist, family are rich and have connection"

Or rather can be re-phrased as competitive, well to do families and good networking skills"

This is a no-brainer and what did you expect from these three top-tier universities anyway? It is competitive to get good grades and most students would already learn how to network and make valuable friendship during the course of their tertiary education.

Last edited:

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score
yeah you are right. if i want to pursue a career (lol) in the civil service sector it would be better to go to NTU for its shorter duration & pedagogy. previously when NTU came to my poly, I told the biz professor that i want to be a civil servant after i finished NTU he told me to go join SMU SIS :s13:

although i guess either uni would be pretty good & i have no doubt that each of the uni's pedagogy would be top notch, but my greatest fear is that i would have to be a credit card promoter after i graduate :s13::s13::sad:

Last edited:

Nosferato4

Reaction score
my greatest fear is that i would have to be a credit card promoter after i graduate :s13::s13::sad:

Lol!! Wont one la!! Ure from one of the big 3 leh.. :3 Biz M. is a very popular degree, 1 of the highest paid**and most companies look out for people with strong positive attitutde on top of being "high quality".

Jobs like Credit card pomoter and insurance agent i feel is for experience only and part time shud be enuf hehehe xDD cant imagine everyday on e streets asking ppl to sign contract LOL. Like v boringgg

Weaboo

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Lol!! Wont one la!! Ure from one of the big 3 leh.. :3 Biz M. is a very popular degree, 1 of the highest paid**and most companies look out for people with strong positive attitutde on top of being "high quality".

Jobs like Credit card pomoter and insurance agent i feel is for experience only and part time shud be enuf hehehe xDD cant imagine everyday on e streets asking ppl to sign contract LOL. Like v boringgg

i had seen a lot of biz grads from their fb they post pic of themselves as cc promoter wor :s22:

Nosferato4

Reaction score
i had seen a lot of biz grads from their fb they post pic of themselves as cc promoter wor :s22:

Waaa really? Jialat already like that. Better start going to the gym more frequently. I rather be a pole dancer earn more money LOL.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.