Polytechnic diploma and exemptions int UK universities

cheeserolls

Reaction score
I have just graduated from a polytechnic with a fairly low gpa....and recently i have just heard from a friend that she got into a pretty prestigious uni with almost the same gpa as I have, with an exemption of 1 year?! So anyway, I went to an overseas education provider to have a try and i heard from the counselor that UK Universities aren't very fond of giving exemptions especially for student like me. But I really want to study in the uk. So I am hoping to hear from anyone out there if you have heard of any friend's or maybe you yourself has gotten into a pretty good uk uni with low gpa and with exemptions?:s11::o

bubblegumcartel

Master Member
Reaction score
No exemptions for Russell group unis as far as i know. They don't do exemptions for poly kiss like us...

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya with your so call friend which uni u referring to and major??

Russell group.
Ppl going with 3.2+ to read engineering in Glasgow given 2 yrs adv standing, similar kinda gpa Birmingham/Leeds/Manchester also got 1 yr off.
Another poly mate has like 3.7 got into Bristol with 1 yr off in EE.

What's your gpa and intended major?

Last edited:

cheeserolls

Reaction score
I'm studying business in general, and would prefer to get a general business degree, perhaps majoring in marketing. I don't suppose I'd consider russell group since their standards are too high. I'm perhaps looking at maybe the standard of uni of sunderland or just within the top 100 in uk? My gpa is a C grade, and I am very well aware that I can't get into most uni, so I'm just hoping to hear some good news from others...

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
there are only 161 Universities in UK, top 100 UK Uni? U looking at getting a a degree fast or U looking at getting a good degree? Good degree meaning no adv standing and long duration. what did U do in Poly? if U read Biz and still gets a C avg is Biz still for u?

any budget on mind?

most ppl going to Uk only limits themselves to the top 40 Uni or even just the top 20-30
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Business+&+Management+Studies
http://www.theguardian.com/education/table/2012/may/22/university-guide-business-management-studies

going to sunderland is like throwing $$, investment poorly spent. no offnce but buying a degree maybe more efficient

interesting read looks like ppl bought a 68 ranked degree
http://www.degreediscussion.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9229

Last edited:

bubblegumcartel

Master Member
Reaction score
Or try the manchester degree SIM is offering. You get to transfer over to UK to finish up your final year on campus.

If you're good, you might even find a job there after your degree.

bubblegumcartel

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it depends. They advertised as 3.0 but there are people who manage to enroll with a much lower gpa... Just try lor, might need to go for interviews though.

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I know yamcancook got into Manchester with 2.8, that's like a B- back in 2012

Exvinix got in back in 2011 with 2.66. His buddy gpa 2.2+ all Kenna rejected
http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/degree-programs-courses-70/sim-bachelor-science-hon-management-university-manchester-1921850-38.html

As a sim Manchester alumnus what's the final yr transfer policy? Did u find work there or know of anyway sim to UK grad working in uk?

Last edited:

bubblegumcartel

Master Member
Reaction score
I think i met someone who was on 2.5 or smth. The policy to transfer here is to get a minimum of 60 marks in your second year in Singapore.

i am working in the uk after my degree. Very difficult to get jobs but not impossible. Definitely about the same difficulty as going to uni of Sunderland or what. Unlike sg, employers here don't really care if ur degree is DL or not. As long as u get thru their interviews, they r happy to hire.

Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is the UK still the destination of choice for international students? | Education | theguardian.com
A visa to work beyond four months after graduating from a university in the UK now normally requires a job with a minimum salary of at least ÂŁ20,300 a year - and it can be even higher for some sectors. A mechanical engineer must earn a minimum of ÂŁ24,100, an electrical engineer ÂŁ23,600 and a design engineer ÂŁ24,800.

Given that the UK graduate job market is hardly at its healthiest - latest data from the Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education survey shows that the median salary of employed graduates from full-time courses six months after graduation was ÂŁ20,000 - this means that many overseas students will be heading home shortly after handing their graduation gown and mortarboard back to the hire shop.

Franzz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol top 100.

Do some reseach. No 50 can be done at simge. No 40 plus keele uni, Hertfordshire all can be done here. Not to mention Portsmouth uni at Kaplan, I'm sure in top 100 also.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.