Private Degree Dilemma....

MCMXCXIXI

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am facing a big dilemma with choosing a suitable private institution for a part-time degree in business. I am looking at business management from University College of Dublin(UCD), which is offered by Kaplan; and BSc Business from UniSIM.

currently I am working in the public sector and I would like to get into a degree-pay position. I understand that I can complete the course from UCD in 18months; whereas it would take a minimum 3 years to complete the course in UniSIM, but the content of the course would cover more.

I have actually spoken to the HR side but they said that there's no list of recognized universities, but I've seen a few UniSIM graduates being able to advance to a degree-pay position in my department.

I hope graduates from UCD and UniSIM who are now working in the public sector can share their experiences here...this issue has been bothering me and I hope to gain more understanding so as to make a well-informed decision instead of just charging head-on without any clues... looking forward to everyone's replies...thanks...

Reaction score
Don't bother with UCD as it'll never get recognized in the form of degree pay scale in the public sector. UniSIM is the obvious choice. Longer duration it is but it translates to your emplacement complete with a degree pay scale.

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UCD quite hard to advance in government roles. The listing is not openly listed and whether which government agencies accept, it's like still a big unknown as some people say yes, some people say no.

For example SAF acceps SIM-UOL sign on for female but not for guys. Hence I believe private degrees are very much a case by case basis and dependent on their requirement.

For UNISIM, it's much closer to the local Uni status and like what you say, it covers more ground. Furthermore it has govt subsidies and you can make use of PSEA funds.

If I can choose between SIM-UOL and UNISIM, I would have chosen UNSIM instead if UNISIM was one of my choices at that point of time (3 years back).
At that time I was down to RMIT and UOL choice and had not much knowledge of UNISIM.

Plus UCD looks like a money buy degree to me anyway, UNISIM definetly gives you the more campus feeling as well.

intime

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am facing a big dilemma with choosing a suitable private institution for a part-time degree in business. I am looking at business management from University College of Dublin(UCD), which is offered by Kaplan; and BSc Business from UniSIM.

currently I am working in the public sector and I would like to get into a degree-pay position. I understand that I can complete the course from UCD in 18months; whereas it would take a minimum 3 years to complete the course in UniSIM, but the content of the course would cover more.

I have actually spoken to the HR side but they said that there's no list of recognized universities, but I've seen a few UniSIM graduates being able to advance to a degree-pay position in my department.

I hope graduates from UCD and UniSIM who are now working in the public sector can share their experiences here...this issue has been bothering me and I hope to gain more understanding so as to make a well-informed decision instead of just charging head-on without any clues... looking forward to everyone's replies...thanks...

What is your jobscope in the public agency you serve? Is the business degree you intend to study relevant to your current jobscope or the jobscope you intend to pursue? If not, I think it will be better for you to apply for other courses.

Does your public agency supports your intention to further study? Will you be granted any form of sponsorship or subsidies? If not, I think you should take that as a probable signal that even when you graduate, you might not get a raise or promotion.
- unless you intend to jump to another public agency through internal hiring job portal or the public site career.gov.

As with the other commenters, since you are in a public agency, a UniSIM degree will be a better choice over Kaplan UCD. Last year's newspaper on UniSIM stated that PSD recognises UniSIM degrees.
- http://www.unisim.edu.sg/Happenings/Documents/MC2013-198.pdf

But take note that UniSIM Business is a 3 year basic degree, it does not have a honours option as of now,
- BSc Business
- So I will recommend that you continue with a masters degree after that to ensure your continued progression. :s22:

Last edited:

Havok_ex

Reaction score
For public sector, its a no-brainer. Choose unisim. They send their own employees there to get degrees. I've seen a ton of them in public sector, but I've never heard of a UCD grad in public sector drawing degree level pay.

MCMXCXIXI

Reaction score
Hi Paladine_Solamnia, Successor.,intime and Havok_ex,

Thank you all for your insights. Really appreciate it cos I'm stressed over this issue for months already.

"There is no central government authority that assesses or accords recognition to degrees for employment purposes. In general, degrees from universities accredited by the home government of the country where the university originates will be considered for appointment into the Public Service. This applies to degrees obtained full-time or part time, through distance-learning or twinning programmes, etc. In addition, for professional qualifications, the degrees obtained from local or foreign institutions must be recognised by the relevant professional bodies in Singapore to be considered for employment into the Public Service."

The above was extracted from the Public Service Division website. that was what was told to me by my HR too. Like what Successor has mentioned, it's a big unknown to me as to whether an UCD degree would be considered; as I've not seen any graduates from UCD in my department.

Hi intime, perhaps I can try to explain my situation a lil. my current jobscope is not related to what I'm planning to study, nor was I supported or given any sponsorship/subsidies. The system works like this: upon getting my degree, i would have to apply for a degree-holder position, if not i will still be stuck at my current grade (which is for a diploma holder). I was thinking a business degree would be quite general and should be able to get myself a management position.

My main concerns are: how would a UniSIM degree come up to an UCD degree? as in for both private and public sector. I hope to have a degree that would be versatile in a sense that I can gain entry in both private and public sectors.

awaiting more responses and hopefully those working in public sectors can help address my queries...I hope to come to a decision that I won't regret in future and seek closure to this dilemma soon.

Thank you all :)

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MCM, in replying to you as your post is too long for me to quote,
If you want versatility, I don't think UCD is the right choice. Probably if you are talking about private degree, UOL is one of the more prestige choices as I have seen and heard a good fair share of UOL graduands entering the private and public sector (although like I mentioned previously public sector leaves a big mystery as some say accept some say no).

UNISIM is definetly a better choice for public sector, but for private sector I am not quite sure as I am not studying there and you should actually read the UNISIM threads to get a more accurate viewpoint.

intime

Reaction score
Hi Paladine_Solamnia, Successor.,intime and Havok_ex,

Thank you all for your insights. Really appreciate it cos I'm stressed over this issue for months already.

"There is no central government authority that assesses or accords recognition to degrees for employment purposes. In general, degrees from universities accredited by the home government of the country where the university originates will be considered for appointment into the Public Service. This applies to degrees obtained full-time or part time, through distance-learning or twinning programmes, etc. In addition, for professional qualifications, the degrees obtained from local or foreign institutions must be recognised by the relevant professional bodies in Singapore to be considered for employment into the Public Service."

The above was extracted from the Public Service Division website. that was what was told to me by my HR too. Like what Successor has mentioned, it's a big unknown to me as to whether an UCD degree would be considered; as I've not seen any graduates from UCD in my department.

Hi intime, perhaps I can try to explain my situation a lil. my current jobscope is not related to what I'm planning to study, nor was I supported or given any sponsorship/subsidies. The system works like this: upon getting my degree, i would have to apply for a degree-holder position, if not i will still be stuck at my current grade (which is for a diploma holder). I was thinking a business degree would be quite general and should be able to get myself a management position.

My main concerns are: how would a UniSIM degree come up to an UCD degree? as in for both private and public sector. I hope to have a degree that would be versatile in a sense that I can gain entry in both private and public sectors.

awaiting more responses and hopefully those working in public sectors can help address my queries...I hope to come to a decision that I won't regret in future and seek closure to this dilemma soon.

Thank you all :)

The most versatile degrees for local industries will be both,
- Singapore university (1st class) honours degree &
- Ranked overseas university (1st class) honours degree (internal student).

So what ever options you choose, try your best to reach closer to what I stated above. The closer you are, the more versatile your degree will be.
- disclaimer: it does not guarantee 100% successful future, it depends on many other factors as well. :s22:

Since your current jobscope is not related to business, why not consider other UniSIM degrees "with honours option". Have a change of job experience.
- Perhaps you will be able to get to a higher grade with a honours degree.
- Then after that you can immediately follow by a MBA or EMBA, since you already have some working experience required for entry. :D

simon_84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
UCD students tend to work in the private sector...anyone working in the public sector will not go for UCD.

Go and ask the hr in your sector what they feel about kaplan degrees.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Go for UniSim, if nothing, then just purely for name recognition; if both public and private sector.

Source: I used to work in the private education industry.

ITretard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm thinking to go for Kaplan or Unisim. My friends tell me to chop chop finish 2 years. However I think the credibility of Kaplan cert is < to unisim. Any advice?

I'm still looking for a job. Would wanna go part time studies.

intime

Reaction score
Actually I'm thinking to go for Kaplan or Unisim. My friends tell me to chop chop finish 2 years. However I think the credibility of Kaplan cert is < to unisim. Any advice?

I'm still looking for a job. Would wanna go part time studies.

If you are considering public service career, then UniSIM is the better choice.

Else you are free to study for a 2 year kaplan degree, but just be aware that you may be at disadvantage when competing for competitive jobs where there are many good honours overseas graduates and local graduates. The hirer may also be coming from a standard 3+ year degree, so there may be bias against short degrees. :s22:

ITretard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you are considering public service career, then UniSIM is the better choice.

Else you are free to study for a 2 year kaplan degree, but just be aware that you may be at disadvantage when competing for competitive jobs where there are many good honours overseas graduates and local graduates. The hirer may also be coming from a standard 3+ year degree, so there may be bias against short degrees. :s22:

Thanks for the advice.. But I don't think I can get in UNISIM.. Have a diploma cert from Kaplan.. :(

ITretard

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't think. Email UniSIM to get an official response is the fastest way. :D

I think cannot leh. Read the criteria. Emailed them. No reply. Monday if no reply I call and ask lo. But most probably can't get in. Sian. Guess Kaplan then.

Successor.

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. But I don't think I can get in UNISIM.. Have a diploma cert from Kaplan.. :(

Diploma cert from Kaplan can wait long long, unless you topped your cohort.
There are so many students with local diploma trying to get in.

xiaokailan

Reaction score
I still think worth applying. I mean unisim also looks at work experience as selection criteria. If u make it for an interview, they usually test on whether u would be resilient to complete this degree instead of content. I mean it's for working adults, their selection criteria isn't solely based on paper.

Sent from Samsung GT-N5110 using GAGT

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.