Singapore safety career

MarieMonroe

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely no priority for locals, tats the garment policy in everything, in fact, they adopted a slightly anti - local policies.
Yes. I believe you.

There are many Government agencies like that.

Singapore Universities slots, more than 50% are non locals.

simon_84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
personally speaking is not worth the risk signing off safety procedures and doing daily inspections when accident happens, still must bear personal liability.
likewise, professional engineers also bear the same risk.

Havok_ex

Reaction score
I find it quite true.

The priority does not goes to the local.

Don't think that's true. My sis graduated from that Environmental and Occupational Health awarded by Newcastle at PSB. The degree was only 2 years part-time for her. So not much time wasted tbh. And because some of the modules she took are equivalent to some certs. She got a job with an engineering company in their safety department even before she graduated. 2.9k/mth.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have she test the market such as applying for WSH jobs since she have been working for a while with her current company once she have graduated?

Don't think that's true. My sis graduated from that Environmental and Occupational Health awarded by Newcastle at PSB. The degree was only 2 years part-time for her. So not much time wasted tbh. And because some of the modules she took are equivalent to some certs. She got a job with an engineering company in their safety department even before she graduated. 2.9k/mth.

Gentleblade

Reaction score

really envy ur sis. no exp before hand? i've been dying to enter this industry.. no exp here and taking unisim safety degree part time this coming july. hope can see some light @ june! :s13:

even submitted my resignation letter for my current full time to "try" to join safety.

stormancer

Reaction score
To all e wsh seniors here, which is a better option for a newbie starting out?

To enter into a consultant company and involved in project based work

or

to enter in a construction company that already have wsh system and wsh officer to report to?

My main concern are that consult company may require contract stating that e ex employee cannot perform same field for min no. Of yrs?

anyone can share some thought on it?

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also hire before an UniSIM BSc (Human Factors In Safety) undergraduate without safety experience for a HSE Enginer position. But the candidate have a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering & WSQ Advanced Certificate in WSH too.

I advice you to get your WSH job first before you quit your current job because market in Singapore is not that good. A lot of people are unemployed.

really envy ur sis. no exp before hand? i've been dying to enter this industry.. no exp here and taking unisim safety degree part time this coming july. hope can see some light @ june! :s13:

even submitted my resignation letter for my current full time to "try" to join safety.

Gentleblade

Reaction score
I also hire before an UniSIM BSc (Human Factors In Safety) undergraduate without safety experience for a HSE Enginer position. But the candidate have a Diploma in Mechanical Engineering & WSQ Advanced Certificate in WSH too.

I advice you to get your WSH job first before you quit your current job because market in Singapore is not that good. A lot of people are unemployed.

hi kyoji83. thanks for the info. now at least got 1 fire burning inside me after seeing ur reply.

i do have safety cert lvl A & lvl B.

thanks for the advice but really need to move on liao. my current job 0 prospect.. even thou company is damn solid good.

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Consultation firms are better because you can gain more industries knowledge rather then limit yourself in construction industry. The firm will also sent you to a lot of WSH courses so that you can be competent to work in other industry such as shipyard however their salary is low.

To all e wsh seniors here, which is a better option for a newbie starting out?

To enter into a consultant company and involved in project based work

or

to enter in a construction company that already have wsh system and wsh officer to report to?

My main concern are that consult company may require contract stating that e ex employee cannot perform same field for min no. Of yrs?

anyone can share some thought on it?

Gentleblade

Reaction score
Consultation firms are better because you can gain more industries knowledge rather then limit yourself in construction industry. The firm will also sent you to a lot of WSH courses so that you can be competent to work in other industry such as shipyard however their salary is low.

actually i dont mind low leh...... but i think will spoil market rate. anyway i havent start sending my resume out just YET. will probably start sending @ june. now doing some networking with my existing customers. planting some "hope" seeds around. keeping name cards of customer with EHS department in their coy..

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Find job with prospect first then move on cause you are not the only one that feel that you are wasting your time on no prospect job. The longer you are unemployed, the more less value your experience is which will affect your negotiation power for salary. That my advice for you.

hi kyoji83. thanks for the info. now at least got 1 fire burning inside me after seeing ur reply.

i do have safety cert lvl A & lvl B.

thanks for the advice but really need to move on liao. my current job 0 prospect.. even thou company is damn solid good.

Gentleblade

Reaction score
Find job with prospect first then move on cause you are not the only one that feel that you are wasting your time on no prospect job. The longer you are unemployed, the more less value your experience is which will affect your negotiation power for salary. That my advice for you.

hi kyoji83, no worries, as i have a full plan for the whole of june, gonna test out my small neighbourhood business as well. just to have some unique experience.

im still doing my 1st job ever since i ORD 2 years ago. becoz of my family financial, i have to go for $ instead of prospect. right now. stuck. HAHA

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't worry cause FT already spoil market rate. Look at how many FT are holding the position of Safety Supervisor/Coordinator/Officer in construction industry. Do you think their salary is higher then your current salary?

actually i dont mind low leh...... but i think will spoil market rate. anyway i havent start sending my resume out just YET. will probably start sending @ june. now doing some networking with my existing customers. planting some "hope" seeds around. keeping name cards of customer with EHS department in their coy..

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some how, I personally feel that the HSE Engineer can do the job is because of his working attitude & not because of UniSIM BSc (Human Factors In Safety).

If I will to fare this course, I will rate 0. It is just a stepping stone for him to get WSHO. After he get his BSc & become a WSHO, he did not have any promotion because his job does not require him to be one.

UniSIM BSc (Human Factors In Safety) only provide theory & help you get your 'licence' but may not be applicable to actual WSH jobs. It is your skill & knowledge from other trades & apply together with WSH Act that help you to be real competent in your job.

kyoji83.. haha

so how does the hf in safety undergrad fare?

sptan3

Reaction score
Any Bro know that whether a foreigner register for Safety Officer in sinagpore after finishing the special dip?

Thanks

MarieMonroe

Banned
Reaction score
market in Singapore is not that good. A lot of people are unemployed.
Don't worry cause FT already spoil market rate. Look at how many FT are holding the position of Safety Supervisor/Coordinator/Officer in construction industry. Do you think their salary is higher then your current salary?

Lots of market spoiler.

Too many people WSH experience and licensed willing to go down the salary. So, WSH Officer salary dropped.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.