HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SUSS July 2017 Intake (Formerly UniSIM)

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #151

If you don't mind me asking how is the Admission Interview process like? (since i have been shortlisted for an interview as well >< and would like to understand more)

- As you mentioned, you were given an article to write an essay about. Was the article related to recent singapore news or from news outlets etc? Also, did your research done from the youtube video helped you?

- For the group discussion, was there only one professor around to conduct the discussion or a few present?

- As for the individual interview, how many interviewers were there during the interview? Did they ask other questions other than volunteering, work exp etc? Eg. "what are your strengths and weakness" kinds of question.

Would appreciate your valuable insights and advice! And hoping that you get a placement in due time!

If anyone wants to share their interview experience please feel free to do so! :>
I've went for my FT interview on Wednesday. My article was from Straits Times. Honestly I felt that the video wasn't very relevant to the article. You can just register early on the day of the interview (report 30-45mins beforehand) and get the article early to do some simple research before the essay test starts. The earlier you reach, the more time you have to prepare

For my group discussion there was only one prof. The prof just asked us to discuss about the topic amongst ourselves while she just stood by and watched.

For the individual interview, they asked general questions as well e.g. Why SUSS, strength and weakness, they might ask about your essay (the one you wrote for your application) and why did you put the course as your first choice etc.

Anyway I heard that early childhood education interview is not held individually but rather as a group. Heard this from one of the interviewees who went that day (not sure if it's true)
L0sts0ul234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #152

I've went for my FT interview on Wednesday. My article was from Straits Times. Honestly I felt that the video wasn't very relevant to the article. You can just register early on the day of the interview (report 30-45mins beforehand) and get the article early to do some simple research before the essay test starts. The earlier you reach, the more time you have to prepare

For my group discussion there was only one prof. The prof just asked us to discuss about the topic amongst ourselves while she just stood by and watched.

For the individual interview, they asked general questions as well e.g. Why SUSS, strength and weakness, they might ask about your essay (the one you wrote for your application) and why did you put the course as your first choice etc.

Anyway I heard that early childhood education interview is not held individually but rather as a group. Heard this from one of the interviewees who went that day (not sure if it's true)
Hi! I have a few questions regarding the interview and I hope you would help me out

1. During the essay writing, are we allowed to bring in any notes to help us with the essay writing component?

2. During the group discussion, how far will the discussion deviate away from the main topic?

3. Is it better if we prepare news/case examples globally/locally?

Thank you in advance!
jubjubjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 11:14 PM   #153

Hi! I have a few questions regarding the interview and I hope you would help me out

1. During the essay writing, are we allowed to bring in any notes to help us with the essay writing component?

2. During the group discussion, how far will the discussion deviate away from the main topic?

3. Is it better if we prepare news/case examples globally/locally?

Thank you in advance!
1. You are only allowed to refer to the given article during the essay test. However if you want to utilise the notes you've brought, you can only copy all of them down on the piece of article given before the test starts.

2. I don't think the discussion will actually deviate from the topic? At least for my group it didn't!

3. Honestly I think it depends on the article given? If the article is in Singapore context, perhaps SG example will be more relevant? Honestly, I think you'll do just fine as long as your example is logical/ if you speak up. The prof just wants to see your communication skills/ participation level
Old 26-03-2017, 12:18 AM   #154

1. You are only allowed to refer to the given article during the essay test. However if you want to utilise the notes you've brought, you can only copy all of them down on the piece of article given before the test starts.

2. I don't think the discussion will actually deviate from the topic? At least for my group it didn't!

3. Honestly I think it depends on the article given? If the article is in Singapore context, perhaps SG example will be more relevant? Honestly, I think you'll do just fine as long as your example is logical/ if you speak up. The prof just wants to see your communication skills/ participation level
Is there space on the back of the article to copy down? Or do you know how much space we have to write our notes?
sostressed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 02:41 AM   #155

Is there space on the back of the article to copy down? Or do you know how much space we have to write our notes?
It depends on the length of the article. They won't intentionally leave you spaces for you to write your notes. If you're unlucky and your article takes up one full page, you just have to squeeze in your notes/ just key points around the article somehow. (Eg. In between the lines/paragraph/ at the corners). If you're lucky, the article takes up, e.g. 1.5 pages, you got 0.5 left to write your notes.
Old 28-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #156
Supremacy Member

Just went for the interview for PT business.

It's a group interview with head of Dept.
Was ask to fill up a form with 3 question. 1) Why did you choose to study at this of your career
2) what did you choose SUSS
3) what do you expect to learn from this programme

With only self introduction and Dept head explaining about the programme etc.
Rainbow1112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 06:35 PM   #157
Greater Supremacy Member

Was ask to fill up a form with 3 question. 1) Why did you choose to study at this of your career

Now part time degree also group interview ?
mrclubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 09:18 PM   #158

I am going for the interview next week. Was still worried what it's gonna be about.

neemo737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #159

difference between PT and FT Prog

Is it true that most (if not all) part time programmes for SUSS are non-honours? And even if they are w/o honours, does the honours ranking really matter? Thanks
choqolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 12:14 AM   #160

I went for PT Biz Analytics interview last month. It was pretty casual like most seniors described. You will be task to fill up a form asking why you choose this course etc..
hi there, can you describe a bit on what you experienced? like group interview, or the questions asked etc.
ivan309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #161

Is it true that most (if not all) part time programmes for SUSS are non-honours? And even if they are w/o honours, does the honours ranking really matter? Thanks
Yes, some part-time programmes do not offer honours. It really depends on what kind of career you are looking at? If the job min requirements do not require honours then it does not really make a difference. Some government positions require honours. I suggest you do more research on the career you intend to pursue so you will make a more well-informed decision
choqolat likes this.

Last edited by rainbowplugs; 30-03-2017 at 11:04 AM..
rainbowplugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #162

Yes, some part-time programmes do not offer honours. It really depends on what kind of career you are looking at? If the job min requirements do not require honours then it does not really make a difference. Some government positions require honours. I suggest you do more research on the career you intend to pursue so you will make a more well-informed decision
yeah, some of them don't, though i wouldn't say most or all of them. some students are invited to do honours even though the honours track isn't explicitly mentioned on the programme brochures/website. you could try emailing the heads of programme to check since they would be in the best position to advise you (their contact details can be found on the website)

i agree that it really depends on what you plan to do in future but i feel it's not do or die. just pick something you're interested in and do well in it =)
choqolat likes this.
calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #163

Haha not so true! I juz gone thru their website & saw MOST of their part time programmes do come with either direct hons or by invitation (if CGPA 3.5 & abv)!
choqolat likes this.
schoolboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #164
Supremacy Member

Just got called up for an interview for 25th April.

Hopefully, more calls come in for me haha
eddief4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #165

It depends on the length of the article. They won't intentionally leave you spaces for you to write your notes. If you're unlucky and your article takes up one full page, you just have to squeeze in your notes/ just key points around the article somehow. (Eg. In between the lines/paragraph/ at the corners). If you're lucky, the article takes up, e.g. 1.5 pages, you got 0.5 left to write your notes.
Hi, may I know how long the whole interview process roughly took for you?
Thanks!
abcbbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.