HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

SUSS July 2017 Intake (Formerly UniSIM)

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-02-2017, 03:12 PM   #31

can i ask that what if i choose degree description of 'Students are required to complete a total of 130 credit units (cu) to graduate with a basic degree, inclusive of 10 cu of university core courses.' and i get 170 cu, can i get an honor with it? provided if my gpa is 3.5 and above.
blackmans123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 04:11 PM   #32
Supremacy Member

can i ask that what if i choose degree description of 'Students are required to complete a total of 130 credit units (cu) to graduate with a basic degree, inclusive of 10 cu of university core courses.' and i get 170 cu, can i get an honor with it? provided if my gpa is 3.5 and above.
If you get GPA above 3.5 with 130 cu completed u be invited to complete the honor program and nid to complete another 40cu of module to get the honor degree.
Rainbow1112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #33

If you get GPA above 3.5 with 130 cu completed u be invited to complete the honor program and nid to complete another 40cu of module to get the honor degree.
Oh! so does that mean i can choose a basic degree first before choosing a IT+business degree? cause if i determine that doing PT Degree is still ok for me, i can choose the 40 CU, which are required in the IT+business degree and convert into that? from basic(130cu) to IT+business(170cu)
Old 26-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #34

What the dropout rate for part time students due to grade/commitment?

Went open house and was told by some lecturer that its quite high..

I'm planning to study business and it's not related to what I had studied before..
the drop out rate quite high,but the complete rate at the same time also quite high..it depends.. cannot say every individual is the same. if like that hor,everyone is automated robot le.. some ppl study non-related de but take 4 mods +1 ucore and work full time still can get high gpa, some score average.. some no need to work but still score badly.. Effort is a must la to study,but whether u are able to understand concepts easily is another thing.

Most important of all,dont listen to all those ppl that say, "if most ppl can study full time and take full load, why cant you and by right,since you are not working,u should be scoring better".

I think if u got fren or wat in same course enrol same time,should be easier,especially first year,cause alot of same modules across different courses.
mrclubbie likes this.
divasion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #35

Oh! so does that mean i can choose a basic degree first before choosing a IT+business degree? cause if i determine that doing PT Degree is still ok for me, i can choose the 40 CU, which are required in the IT+business degree and convert into that? from basic(130cu) to IT+business(170cu)
sorry, i'm a little confused by what you wrote. when they say a basic degree, they mean one that is without honours. you still need to choose from the programmes offered and each one has a curriculum plan.

are you referring to this when you say IT+business? http://www.unisim.edu.sg/programmes/...ess-(ERP).aspx what rainbow said about being invited for honours is correct but won't apply for this since it's direct. you can always apply for transfer of programme too (e.g. from direct honours to basic if you find you can't cope). best to check with the admissions office though.

if you do apply for a transfer, you will be able to transfer over any relevant units from the previous programme to the new programme.
calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #36
Greater Supremacy Member

IT+Business is direct honors, you must clear 170cu to graduate no matter what...

For basic degree, need to clear 130cu to graduate, but if your GPA 3.5 or more, you can opt to accept their honours degree invitation...
Old 26-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #37

I'm planning to study business and it's not related to what I had studied before..
yeah i think divasion is right in the sense that it really depends on you. don't be discouraged by what that lecturer said :/ i guess he/she was just trying to be realistic but honestly, don't worry too much ok? most of us are just the same as you. yes it does take effort and sacrifice but if you work hard i'm sure you'll be fine.

so many other people have successfully completed and graduated so focus on them rather than those who didn't make it. if you didn't study business before, you might have to work a little harder but for most of us it's a learning curve too. and you won't be the only one who's studying something that they have no prior experience or knowledge in, so yeah don't worry too much before you've even started!
Old 26-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #38

sorry, i'm a little confused by what you wrote. when they say a basic degree, they mean one that is without honours. you still need to choose from the programmes offered and each one has a curriculum plan.

are you referring to this when you say IT+business? http://www.unisim.edu.sg/programmes/...ess-(ERP).aspx what rainbow said about being invited for honours is correct but won't apply for this since it's direct. you can always apply for transfer of programme too (e.g. from direct honours to basic if you find you can't cope). best to check with the admissions office though.

if you do apply for a transfer, you will be able to transfer over any relevant units from the previous programme to the new programme.
Yup! i'm referring to that, as i do not want to over committed to 170cu degree and find out that i am unable to commit to it. Wasting all that grant and $$. Thanks for the advise, will check with admission office if i am able to convert from 130cu degree to 170cu degree, it a much safer convert as compare to 170cu degree to 130cu degree.
Old 26-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #39

IT+Business is direct honors, you must clear 170cu to graduate no matter what...

For basic degree, need to clear 130cu to graduate, but if your GPA 3.5 or more, you can opt to accept their honours degree invitation...
Oh, does that mean if my IT degree has 170CU but lacking some of the core CU from IT+Business, i am only getting Honor in IT degree instead of IT+Business degree?
Old 26-02-2017, 11:49 PM   #40
Junior Moderator

I think it all depends on yourself... even if it gets tough you must keep yourself going
Old 27-02-2017, 06:24 AM   #41
Greater Supremacy Member

Yup! i'm referring to that, as i do not want to over committed to 170cu degree and find out that i am unable to commit to it. Wasting all that grant and $$. Thanks for the advise, will check with admission office if i am able to convert from 130cu degree to 170cu degree, it a much safer convert as compare to 170cu degree to 130cu degree.
You do not want to over commit to 170cu degree but you want to convert from 130cu to 170cu degree ?
mrclubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 06:26 AM   #42
Greater Supremacy Member

Oh, does that mean if my IT degree has 170CU but lacking some of the core CU from IT+Business, i am only getting Honor in IT degree instead of IT+Business degree?
Yes...Unless you study IT+Business to get the IT+Business degree
mrclubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #43

ok hmm from what i understand, you need to fulfil the requirements of each programme in order to graduate with a degree. that means that if you start off by choosing to do a basic degree in IT, and then you decide later to change to IT+business (if the admissions office confirms this can be done), *only* the common modules that you have been completed will be counted.

e.g. ICT121 in the IT programme is not part of the modules for IT+business, so it won't be counted. ICT131 is part of the modules for both IT and IT+business, so that one is ok.

one way is to choose only those modules that are common to both so that if you decide to transfer, you won't have wasted your time and money. looking at both, it seems like there's quite a bit of overlap in the compulsory modules but not the electives, so check it out properly before you apply.
Old 27-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #44

ok hmm from what i understand, you need to fulfil the requirements of each programme in order to graduate with a degree. that means that if you start off by choosing to do a basic degree in IT, and then you decide later to change to IT+business (if the admissions office confirms this can be done), *only* the common modules that you have been completed will be counted.

e.g. ICT121 in the IT programme is not part of the modules for IT+business, so it won't be counted. ICT131 is part of the modules for both IT and IT+business, so that one is ok.

one way is to choose only those modules that are common to both so that if you decide to transfer, you won't have wasted your time and money. looking at both, it seems like there's quite a bit of overlap in the compulsory modules but not the electives, so check it out properly before you apply.
Thank all for the help! Just called today and noticed that they mention that it is impossible to transfer between the two course which i had chosen. It seem like i am only able to choose IT or IT+business. Does anyone know how does honor actually impact our industry now?
Old 28-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #45

hi! im not sure if this is the right thread to ask but i need a little help and advice

I just got my A level results, I screwed it up pretty badly haha Any chance of me getting into UniSIM Accountancy/Banking&Finance full-time courses? If not, possible to get into SIM-UOL?

GP- C
H1 CSE- C
PW-C
MTL-C
H2 Econs- D
H2 Geog- D
H2 Maths- E

I have about 6 months working experience (finance related), secondary school and JC CCA records quite extensive, currently volunteering as well. Would any of it help? Thank you! Oh I took my SATs as well, got a 90th percentile according to the report but I don't know how relevant is that haha.

Not sure if its relevant but here are some of my O level results too:

English A2
Emaths A2
Amaths B3
lollipopsyay is offline   Reply With Quote
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.