Univeristy Of Wollongong (SIM) future/current/students come in!!!

xuanweng

Reaction score
CSCI361..

what does |1129|_2 = 11 mean?

what is the |number|_2?

its not inverse or mod..

Last edited:

HeCToR

Master Member
Reaction score
Will attendance affect the grades for student? Because I'm currently working in shift rotation, so If i apply for the course, I might not be able to attend for all lecture/tuition classes.

MrUnderwear

Reaction score
Right now , I'm at a crossroad.

Should I pursue this degree since I've a Dip in IT (eCommerce) r just give up.

Its so hard to get any job w/o experience and you not being competent in your programming.

IT field seem to be looking out for people w Networking/Security experience.

I'm starting to regret why I didn't pursue some other courses initially.

Can the DSS students tell me if its worth it studying this course ? Networking will only be taught during yr3. Joining this course gives me exemption for 1.5..

Seeing the Dip in Networking & Security gives more experience.

xuanweng

Reaction score

Its so hard to get any job w/o experience and you not being competent in your programming.

Can the DSS students tell me if its worth it studying this course ? Networking will only be taught during yr3. Joining this course gives me exemption for 1.5..

If you dun like programming/dun wish to take up programming, you might have some problems doing your assignments.. Joining 1.5 years is a good choice.. As there is a bridging course in C++..

It required quite a bit of hardwork.. Especially for 2 modules..

And it also depends on if you wan study full time or part time..

i'm taking DSS part time now..

Hope tt some grads will give you the answer if it is worth it to study tis course..

darkchamber

Reaction score
Will attendance affect the grades for student? Because I'm currently working in shift rotation, so If i apply for the course, I might not be able to attend for all lecture/tuition classes.

not sure about year1.. but year2 onwards, if you miss just that one lesson (that affects ur attendance rate), the coordinator would call you up.. at least that's what happened to my classmate who skipped class lol (unless u have valid reasons) ... u need a certain percentage of attendance to get through the module that's my guess..

Dr. Sbaitso

Master Member
Reaction score

If you are local, you need 80% attendance. Any lower and you cannot take the exam -> fail. By right. I have seen people who never appear for lectures passing the module so I think SIM gives some allowance there, but I would think that they are getting stricter with it.

CSCI361..

what does |1129|_2 = 11 mean?

what is the |number|_2?

its not inverse or mod..

Think simple, think low-level.

I think the UOW syllabus could have been designed better i.e. a couple of useless or repeating modules. But it is a really a degree that is easy to get in but hard to graduate with. :s13: Some killer modules here and there, every term is defined by the many assignments and deadlines with no time to study for tests. But its difficulty gives it value and career prospects should be good if you have good grades.

You can start by asking yourself whether you want to work in the IT field and which aspects of it interests you the most. Then you can evaluate if this degree covers those aspects you like best.

Last edited:

tjj003

Reaction score
Hi ppl,
I'm currently really interested in the Bachelor Of Computer Science (Digital Systems Security) in SIM offered by UOW.
The SIM logo will be printed on the degree or not??

daldrome

Reaction score
Hi ppl,
I'm currently really interested in the Bachelor Of Computer Science (Digital Systems Security) in SIM offered by UOW.
The SIM logo will be printed on the degree or not??

No. Your degree will be same as if you took it in the OZ campus

mahoken

Master Member
Reaction score
any tips for 322 assignment 3 part 3? 1,2,4 and 5 i managed to get it with 1 liner... can part 3 be done with 1 liner as well?

mahoken

Master Member
Reaction score
i don't know it that well so i still working on how to display the things i want before trying to add up the values, just to verify 4 and 5 it is to apply the same command on different fields that's all?

MrUnderwear

Reaction score
Okay , I was only taught VB and Java during my time in Poly.

I'm amazed @ how some can memorize the codes w/o referring. I'm sure we need some reference, when it comes to programming. - the overseas student have shown, they are brilliant in coding

Being a programmer, we can get wiped out - for instance, they hire you to write the code. (all up and running), hire someone of lower cost to maintain the whole application/website.

There are 2 courses offered right, one is the security, the other is the programming side.

But with the industry hiring and looking out for people who are well-versed in PHP,ASP.net, Java, PERL ... and good with Oracle/ Drupal .. - Do schools teach you how to use them ?

For the networking/security side - They are looking for pple with CCNA cert. Be aware of switch ?

Any graduate can tell if 1 year is sufficient to teach abt Security ?

Can any graduate or those who are working in the industry w just a Dip speak up and tell me how did you guys manage to get a job ?

Dr. Sbaitso

Master Member
Reaction score
i don't know it that well so i still working on how to display the things i want before trying to add up the values, just to verify 4 and 5 it is to apply the same command on different fields that's all?

Yeah it is very similar except for part 4 you need to filter out some URLs. I'm not sure if hostnames like car.abc.com and bus.abc.com are considered the same hostname or different though...

I assume they are different so that it is easier to cut out.

Dr. Sbaitso

Master Member
Reaction score
Okay , I was only taught VB and Java during my time in Poly.

I'm amazed @ how some can memorize the codes w/o referring. I'm sure we need some reference, when it comes to programming. - the overseas student have shown, they are brilliant in coding

Being a programmer, we can get wiped out - for instance, they hire you to write the code. (all up and running), hire someone of lower cost to maintain the whole application/website.

There are 2 courses offered right, one is the security, the other is the programming side.

But with the industry hiring and looking out for people who are well-versed in PHP,ASP.net, Java, PERL ... and good with Oracle/ Drupal .. - Do schools teach you how to use them ?

For the networking/security side - They are looking for pple with CCNA cert. Be aware of switch ?

Any graduate can tell if 1 year is sufficient to teach abt Security ?

Can any graduate or those who are working in the industry w just a Dip speak up and tell me how did you guys manage to get a job ?

Far from graduating but it is true outsourcing isn't good news for IT in general.

But I would think that security is a field that will remain in demand for a long time as more and more people get online and store their data in the cloud. And the gaming industry is expanding everyday - you just need to keep up with the latest game engines and technologies.

1 year is never enough to learn anything, but to be in IT is to keep learning everyday, keep hitting the books and attending courses (hopefully coy sponsor). So you have to really consider if IT is for you.

mahoken

Master Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is very similar except for part 4 you need to filter out some URLs. I'm not sure if hostnames like car.abc.com and bus.abc.com are considered the same hostname or different though...

I bo chap liao, after struggling a week to find the 5 line answers, now I just worried about my answers since all have output but cannot verify they are correct anot :s11: time to do other labs, assignments :(

xuanweng

Reaction score

O.O full time so gd.. part time deadline was last thurs.. =(

Yupz.. they are different hostnames..

rollbread

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For those who studying there, is it a must to bring laptop go school? Or those lessons will be held in computer labs?

mahoken

Master Member
Reaction score
For those who studying there, is it a must to bring laptop go school? Or those lessons will be held in computer labs?

i asked this around 2 months around, i can say it is not required but nice to have when you are rushing assignments and projects. Plus if your don't like to save paper since notes are all softcopy

Dr. Sbaitso

Master Member
Reaction score
I applied for the october intake but I have yet to receive any news from SIM, should I be concerned?

Usually they will inform you about your outcome less than about 1 month before the term starts. So you can wait until first or second week of September.

But you can always give them a call to enquire about it.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.