HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

UOL BSc Accounting and Finance

Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #1

UOL BSc Accounting and Finance

is that true that UOL BSc Accounting and Finance is tough?!
momomonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

I have seen so many threads like this.. soon everyone will start for each degree lol.. All UOL degrees are tough la if you want to do well.. must show effort also to pass..
Mathemagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

im from the AnF degree. i wouldn't say its tough as long as you make an effort to study there's no degree in the world that's easy yet has credibility.
confusion123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #4

im concerned about the econs which i heard its a killer paper!!!
Old 14-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
Supremacy Member

every degree are tough not all are easy. Of course if the major that you study is your interest then you won't find it hard to study at all.
Casio2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 02:21 PM   #6

im concerned about the econs which i heard its a killer paper!!!
econs is a foudnation unit for everyone. whether you in AnF or not doesn't matter. but i entered with exemption so i didn't take the foundation econs. but i have to agree the managerial econs in the future unit is seriously ****.

but remember. you are studying as an AnF student. not an econs student. concentrate more on your accounting modules. it wouldn't look nice to ace all your other modules and get Cs and Ds for your core (accounting) modules
Old 14-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #7

so taking part time for this degree will be alot more tougher??
kanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #8

im worried that what if im unable to make it and struggle. anyway, is it true that drop out rate for this course is also high?
Old 14-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #9

is that true that UOL BSc Accounting and Finance is tough?!
momomonsters,if you keep thinking UOL BSc Accounting and Finance is tough,then it will be tough to you lah.You never try,how do you know?

For comparison purpose,UOL exam takers have it easy in the sense that most of the examinable units are 100% written papers.

If you look at UOL syllabus (12 units if 3 years program) against local university accountancy degree's syllabus (at least 20 units with project work and written exams),it is definitely less stressful for UOL students.
nwstbz23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2011, 10:13 PM   #10

momomonsters,if you keep thinking UOL BSc Accounting and Finance is tough,then it will be tough to you lah.You never try,how do you know?

For comparison purpose,UOL exam takers have it easy in the sense that most of the examinable units are 100% written papers.

If you look at UOL syllabus (12 units if 3 years program) against local university accountancy degree's syllabus (at least 20 units with project work and written exams),it is definitely less stressful for UOL students.
lol i seriously disagree with you.. i went through the poly route. although the standard is different, its also project + written exam for every 6mths. i find uol more stress. different people different opinions though..

uol is based on the top 5 out of 9 modules or aggregate + 4 modules (foundation units are to be in pairs). imagine if you did not perform well. u left 8 further units to get your 5 modules that eventually decides your honors grade.

considering we got no assignment to back us up. in local uni, if you perform well in your assignment, you at least have a base to support your final marks. and if im not wrong, local uni has 2 papers + 1 assignment right? add class tests in too uol is 1 paper in May, prelims in March. your paper in May decides your marks reflected in your transcripts

uol papers are not set by SIM. even our own lecturers can't say for certain what might appear in the paper. what if your year so unlucky, the UK examiners want to screw the examinees and set a super hard for you. think about what will happen to your marks when you get them back (which happened to last year's cohort and im a "victim" of that). we normally decide what to focus on based on what our SIM lecturer predicted from what the UK examiners said during the revision class. and by looking at trends in past year papers. if you pick topic based on trend and just nice it didnt appear, you are half dead and can only depend on what you learnt

just go imagine yourself then. but still, different people different opinions. there are still first class honors graduating from the uol programme worldwide. so i don't think its impossible to get good grades =\ although i scored pretty bad last year

im worried that what if im unable to make it and struggle. anyway, is it true that drop out rate for this course is also high?
why you worry about drop out rate even before entry. study hard your marks will reflect on your effort. i had the same worries as you when i was registering for uol.

fulltime sure has no problem. part time i cnt guarantee work mon-fri 9-5. study 3 evenings 7-10pm and 1 wkend class. do you have time to revise? your own choice ultimately. i think part timers must have alot of self-discipline.

but for all i know, i dont tink accounting and finance is the toughest degree in the whole uol programme. at least i didn't score well last year coz i didn't study to my best good luck

Last edited by confusion123; 14-02-2011 at 10:18 PM..
Old 14-02-2011, 11:43 PM   #11

Excuse me, Sir. Do you know the feeling of putting all eggs in one basket ? If you dont feel well or lose your concentration on exams days then it's pretty much game over.
Mathemagician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #12

I think the subjects taught by most universities are about the same. The only main difference is either you like exam based or assignment/test based studies. You just need to choose the style that suits you best.

I prefer exam based studies because I am working and i am those kinda students who prefer to relax for 9 months where you don't feel the stress and do intensive study, stress in the last 3 months then go for my papers. In a way, it is less time consuming although i believe some of the UOL students do spread the revision throughout the year.
Oneder001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #13

UOL exam, especially the econs papers, are not those run-off-the-mill type questions. You can still cry upon reading it even though you are prepared for it.

And because of this, they emphasized more on critical thinking rather than our familiar rote learning, as what 1 UOL examiner aptly called it, "CD-Roming".
Old 15-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #14

let say if i decided rmit accounting, am i able to work in the finance industry? like finance consultant, investment analysis and management, management consultant?
Old 15-02-2011, 11:00 PM   #15

let say if i decided rmit accounting, am i able to work in the finance industry? like finance consultant, investment analysis and management, management consultant?
i think you are better off in the banking and finance degree for finance industry (investment analysis, finance consultant)
accounting and finance concentrates alot on the accounting part. there's only a few finance modules (eg. principle of banking and finance (foundation), financial management)

but if you are talking about same degree, i think it doesn't really matter whether its uol or rmit. some employers might prefer rmit than uol or vice versa..
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.