UOL/RMIT Economics and Finance or UOL Banking and Finance

marsbarsz

Reaction score
Hi all,

Though today is the application deadline for UOL, I have yet to decide which degree to take upon but have finally shortlisted to the 3 choices below. Thus I really hope I can figure it out with your replies!

Brief background about myself:
I graduated with a diploma in business with a GPA of 3.30. I hope to be in a career in investments/finance analyst. I have no A maths background (dont know calculas, differentiation, etc)

My Choices:
1) UOL Economics and Finance
2) RMIT Economics and Finance
3) UOL Banking and Finance

My concerns:
1) I understand that UOL is more prestigious as compared with RMIT, however, UOL is also much more difficult than RMIT. Furthermore, even if I get a UOL degree but with sub-par grades, wont an RMIT degree with good grades be better? Or worse, what if I drop out of UOL (I've heard the drop out rate is quite substantial)

2) Will the finance working industry be more theoretical (like UOL) or more project based (like RMIT).

3) Though I really wish to take the UOL Econs and Fin degree, the modules has additional maths modules which are tougher than UOL Banking and Fin. Is it still advisable for me to take E&F even though I have no A maths background?

4) What is the difference between 'Economics and Finance' and 'Banking and Finance'? Will a Banking and Finance degree still allow me to attain my desired career?

5) Lastly, will I still be able to switch my UOL Economics and Finance degree to a Banking and Finance degree midway since the modules are about the same?

Appreciate replies asap as the deadline is today. Thanks in advance people!

Last edited:

Havok_ex

Reaction score
If your interest is in UOL E&F then you should just go for it. A-math should be a basic for anyone working close to the finance industry. Not sure how you can interpret any graphs at all if you don't know differentiation/integration.

arcanum00

Reaction score
Maybe too late for reply,

Brief background about myself:
I graduated with a diploma in business with a GPA of 3.30. I hope to be in a career in investments/finance analyst. I have no A maths background (dont know calculas, differentiation, etc)
==> Then learn it. You'll be taught mathematics and statisticst in year 1 UOL courses but not RMIT.

My Choices:
1) UOL Economics and Finance
2) RMIT Economics and Finance
3) UOL Banking and Finance

My concerns:
1) I understand that UOL is more prestigious as compared with RMIT, however, UOL is also much more difficult than RMIT. Furthermore, even if I get a UOL degree but with sub-par grades, wont an RMIT degree with good grades be better? Or worse, what if I drop out of UOL (I've heard the drop out rate is quite substantial)
==> I don't know about the prestige between the two, but graduate destinations for UOL graduates seems better. While you implied that RMIT programmes are easier, what makes you think that if you get sub-par grades in UOL, you will get good grades in RMIT? I would suggest that you look into what you want to learn, the skills required for the jobs or postgraduate programmes you want to go, in these programmes, then try to work hard to get good grades. In general, some training in mathematics and statistics would be useful although not all jobs require them.

2) Will the finance working industry be more theoretical (like UOL) or more project based (like RMIT).
==> I think it depends on the training you received and how much you have retained and put the knowledge to use in your work rather than the approach of teaching and/or assessments. At undergraduate level, many things just doesn't seem what is seen in the industry to many.

3) Though I really wish to take the UOL Econs and Fin degree, the modules has additional maths modules which are tougher than UOL Banking and Fin. Is it still advisable for me to take E&F even though I have no A maths background?
==> Why not? If there's a job you love to do but you have no background and prior training, then you just give up on the job without trying to gain some relevance experience and training? I would think mathematics/statistics training helps in a career of investments/finance analyst.

4) What is the difference between 'Economics and Finance' and 'Banking and Finance'? Will a Banking and Finance degree still allow me to attain my desired career?
==> The courses in the two programmes are more or less the same, with 'Economics and Finance' having one more mandatory course in mathematics and statistics. While I think with the other mathematics and statistics course, it'll are be about sufficient, with only the first mathematics and statistics courses, it should facilitate you to further yourself in other trainings for the careers you mentioned.

5) Lastly, will I still be able to switch my UOL Economics and Finance degree to a Banking and Finance degree midway since the modules are about the same?
==> Consult your Programme Regulations. It should be allowed.

Last edited:

marsbarsz

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

My concern is really of the A maths. I'm afraid I will fail it, and the possibility is quite high at that. And when I fail, the consequences will be HUGE (retake 1 year).

arcanum00

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

My concern is really of the A maths. I'm afraid I will fail it, and the possibility is quite high at that. And when I fail, the consequences will be HUGE (retake 1 year).
Rather than worrying about it, I'd rather you use the time to learn it. You'll realise that maths/stats are actually useful tools for university level economics and finance.

marsbarsz

Reaction score
You do know that Economics at uni level is really maths intensive right :s13:

Rather than worrying about it, I'd rather you use the time to learn it. You'll realise that maths/stats are actually useful tools for university level economics and finance.

Yup I understand that the maths for economics will be difficult. But looking at a university level will it be worth the risk? Repeating one more year again to take the exam (risky and may extend to 4 years)? Or should I quickly get a degree within 1.5years in RMIT and start my career (less riskier and able to start career within 1.5yrs)

arcanum00

Reaction score
Yup I understand that the maths for economics will be difficult. But looking at a university level will it be worth the risk? Repeating one more year again to take the exam (risky and may extend to 4 years)? Or should I quickly get a degree within 1.5years in RMIT and start my career (less riskier and able to start career within 1.5yrs)
It's up to you, really. You may self-study calculus for additional knowledge when you do the RMIT Economics and Finance degree programme (it has a business statistics course but no business mathematics course). It might help you to understand some of the Economics and Finance modules too, but it can be tough to study on your own. If you are taking the CFA exams or an MSc in Finance after you graduate from RMIT, or when you started working, you'll still see calculus as assumed knowledge in some of these exams. So, somehow it'll be back to haunt you.

marsbarsz

Reaction score
It's up to you, really. You may self-study calculus for additional knowledge when you do the RMIT Economics and Finance degree programme (it has a business statistics course but no business mathematics course). It might help you to understand some of the Economics and Finance modules too, but it can be tough to study on your own. If you are taking the CFA exams or an MSc in Finance after you graduate from RMIT, or when you started working, you'll still see calculus as assumed knowledge in some of these exams. So, somehow it'll be back to haunt you.

I understand. Thanks! Speaking of MSc, do you know if UOL and RMIT will be recognised by future good universities for my masters?

arcanum00

Reaction score
I understand. Thanks! Speaking of MSc, do you know if UOL and RMIT will be recognised by future good universities for my masters?
Both should be okay. RMIT degree programmes, iirc, don't come with Honours, so it's may be harder to get into some renowned US or UK universities. That could be a reason for seeing more UOL graduates going into postgraduate programmes also. I don't know.

Anyway, if a programme requires GRE, then you may find youself struggling for the quantitative section also. There you'll see calculus again.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.