HWZ Forums

Login Register FAQ Mark Forums Read

Why do so many ppl apply for scholarships n double degrees?

Like Tree1Likes
Share This Page
HardwareZone.com on Facebook

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #1

why

Why do many ppl apply for scholarships n double degrees?

Last edited by Autumnchua; 30-04-2012 at 07:28 PM..
Autumnchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #2
Master Member

Why do those who do not hv As for their h2 try to apply? Am i expecting too little of myself or r they expecting top highly of themselves?
Dude, seriously I think u got it all wrong. 7 'A's in A lvl means u very smart? more capable?

1 friend from RJC, 7 'A's, double degree in NUS, withdrew after 1 sem.
1 friend from JJC, 3 'A's double degree in NTU, GPA >4.8.

so now ur comment is very unwelcomed here, at least i don't appreciate it. whatever grades u have achieve in A lvl is ur personal achievement. However, now it is a history. When u go uni, everyone start from 0 again. so pls don't overestimate urself and underestimate others.

Most ppl take double degrees to broaden their knowledge and to challenge themselves.
Old 27-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Dude, seriously I think u got it all wrong. 7 'A's in A lvl means u very smart? more capable?

1 friend from RJC, 7 'A's, double degree in NUS, withdrew after 1 sem.
1 friend from JJC, 3 'A's double degree in NTU, GPA >4.8.

so now ur comment is very unwelcomed here, at least i don't appreciate it. whatever grades u have achieve in A lvl is ur personal achievement. However, now it is a history. When u go uni, everyone start from 0 again. so pls don't overestimate urself and underestimate others.

Most ppl take double degrees to broaden their knowledge and to challenge themselves.
Hey i didnt say that 7 As means im the best. Of cos not. I tink that i dun deserve a scholarship even though i hv gd academic results. I hv no ldrhip position n gd cca records. But y do i hear so many ppl applying for scholarships n double degree even though its hard? Dun they nor it needs a lot of hard work n effort to meet those high expectations of the sch?
Autumnchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #4

I'm not sure how you can develop such a hostile response to a question that was asked in good faith. Perhaps your own inferiority complex is preventing you from looking at the issue objectively. Or perhaps it's just a case of sour grapes.

And nobody take a double degree to "broaden their knowledge and challenge themselves". Obviously people take it because it offers more versatility in finding a job.
FrostWurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Master Member

I'm not sure how you can develop such a hostile response to a question that was asked in good faith. Perhaps your own inferiority complex is preventing you from looking at the issue objectively. Or perhaps it's just a case of sour grapes.

And nobody take a double degree to "broaden their knowledge and challenge themselves". Obviously people take it because it offers more versatility in finding a job.
becuz the way she phrased it made it sound like "I have gotten 7 'A's and i am not even applying for these, what makes those ppl who didnt do as well as me think that they are capable of signing up DDP/Scholarhip".

TS might not have meant it, ppl(or maybe me only) might think otherwise.

EDIT:说者无心,听者有意。

nobody take a double degree to "broaden their knowledge and challenge themselves". On what claim do u say that? yes u r rite that ppl also took it base on versatility in finding a job, however, u shouldnt deny there are ppl who took it to broaden their knowledge and challenge their own capabilities.

Last edited by MoxLotus; 27-04-2012 at 08:56 PM..
MoxLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #6

how old are you guys here?
Old 29-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #7
Master Member

how old are you guys here?
majority are below 20, some are above 20 for those male who has served NS.
Old 29-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
Arch-Supremacy Member

So? Why do so many ppl try to apply for Scholarships n double degree? Im attained 7 distinctions for a lvls but i didnt apply for any of these 2. Why do those who do not hv As for their h2 try to apply? Am i expecting too little of myself or r they expecting top highly of themselves?
Ppl take up scholarship of cause is becus it means free school fees and free allowance. Attending talks or doing work for the school in exchange for the school fees are definitely worth it.

Double degree let u learn more things and more opportunity for jobs in future. The hard work is just these 4 years, after that you might climb up faster or get better with the double degree. The future employer also will think the person is hardworking and intelligent so he can get the double degree.
rollbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #9

Sorry but I have to go with Mox on this one. If you read more of autumn's posts here and on brightsparks, it ALWAYS mentions about how she scored 7 distinctions/ 7 A's. Sure, doing that well at the A's is an achievement but you don't have to go around telling everybody right? After reading her post, what I have understood is that she is looking down on people who have not done as well as her. If they want to apply for scholarships, why does she have to care?

Why do those who do not hv As for their h2 try to apply? ... r they expecting top highly of themselves?

Just because she did better than them, and she is not applying for either scholarship or DDP, they have to follow her footsteps? I just don't get it.

Now I've even seen another post by her saying

"But now thise with only 3As in h2 can go in ntu (accountancy). Im tinking if my 7distinctions are worth it."

What is the above supposed to mean? So now you choose your course based on which is "more worth it"? I thought what matters is your interest. Just goes to show that those that did the best in their exams may not necessarily be the smartest or have the best characters.
Old 29-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #10
Arch-Supremacy Member

actually double degree ones are abit bodoh
they seriously think that they can handle the stress needed for it ?
they think that AAA for jc was good n anything also can conquer
they must be kidding

ive seen like 50% of the double degree kiddos drop out quickly within a yr n lol-ed
mistersatki_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
Supremacy Member

Scholarships n double degrees arent easy at all. Scholarships require interviews, good results, leadership, gd cca records n others. Sure for some scholarships thrs no bond n u dun nid to worry abt fees. But the sch expects u to maintain a min grade n u hv to attend talks n hold events n take up lddship role in ccas n be active in sch events. For double degree it takes 1 more yr to complete but u do get 2 degrees. However many say thrs no life if u take double degree.

So? Why do so many ppl try to apply for Scholarships n double degree? Im attained 7 distinctions for a lvls but i didnt apply for any of these 2. Why do those who do not hv As for their h2 try to apply? Am i expecting too little of myself or r they expecting top highly of themselves?
Whether people want to apply for scholarships or DDPs is really up to the individual. Since you have 7As, you have a good chance (academically at least) to get one.

There are people who value freedom, while there are people who want to work in the civil service and thus apply for the scholarships. There are also people who think that having a double degree puts them in a better light compared to those with just one degree.

Yes, the expectations are higher, but even without a scholarship, I believe the current scholars will work as hard and hold themselves to the same (first class) standards as present.
mengshuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
Master Member

actually double degree ones are abit bodoh
they seriously think that they can handle the stress needed for it ?
they think that AAA for jc was good n anything also can conquer
they must be kidding

ive seen like 50% of the double degree kiddos drop out quickly within a yr n lol-ed
nvr try nvr know. at least these ppl tried and they wont live with regrets.
Old 29-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #13

nvr try nvr know. at least these ppl tried and they wont live with regrets.
yea i totally agree with this one.

"Im attained 7 distinctions for a lvls but i didnt apply for any of these 2. Why do those who do not hv As for their h2 try to apply? Am i expecting too little of myself or r they expecting top highly of themselves"-

What makes you think that with 7 distinctions you didn't apply and other people should back out too? JC and Uni life is totally two different thing. This just comes to show that they have more confidence than you. IMO, these people are way much better, as a person. Will your 7 distinctions in A lvl help you in your future occupation? Are you gonna go for your job interview and tell them hey i have 7 distinction for A level but i didn't bother to try apply for any scholarship whatsoever because i don't think i have the capabilities?

These dudes tried and who knows they might get that scholarship and they are just gonna pawn you in the later part of your life.
Votre Altesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #14
Master Member

just to digress a bit.

TS made herself too high profile on this forum as she revealed too much about herself.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #15
Arch-Supremacy Member

both my 2 younger siblings are on scholarship, both doing double degrees.
question is why NOT? tuition fees are paid for, there's an allowance and laptop allowance. both my parents do not have to pay a single cent for their education. my siblings will graduate without an education debt. and it's bond free. and it's not 'tough' for them to maintain their grades and have a life (besides studying). they have been 'scholars' since primary school. my bro has been on a scholarship since sec 1.

sounds really dumb not to apply/receive/accept a scholarship in this instance.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.