Withdraw from uni and re-apply next year

Fatshroom

Reaction score
Hi all, I am/was a year 1 freshie at NTU. Decided to withdraw for reasons i won't state here, but i can share my knowledge as far as MOE tuition grant is involved. Went down to MOE customer service centre(yeah i know, wth? they have a service centre?) and was infd by the staff there that every sinkie is granted 8 semesters(basically 4 years) worth of tuition grants. What it meant for me, as a local student intending to withdraw in my first sem was that I'd have consumed 1 sem worth of tuition grant. So if I were to reapply for uni in the future, I'd have to pay 1 sem worth of unsubsidised fees as my quota is now 7 sems. However if I pick a course that is 3 years/6 sems, then all the sems would be covered by tuition grant.

Hope this helps :)

Hi! A little late to this but may i know how long it took for NTU to process your withdrawal? M also a freshie thinking to withdraw as i realise this is not a course i wanted. Did u withdraw before the 2nd teaching week?

Fatshroom

Reaction score
Yes year 1. Thinking of re-applying next year because it's a different uni.

Hi! Have you successfully withdrawed? How was the process?(how long it took, what has to be done, any guarantor needed etc) thinking to do the same. Thanks!

Tabbbz

Reaction score
Hi! A little late to this but may i know how long it took for NTU to process your withdrawal? M also a freshie thinking to withdraw as i realise this is not a course i wanted. Did u withdraw before the 2nd teaching week?

Took around 2 weeks for me to receive the official withdrawal letter last year, but process quite tedious cause they will refer u to student wellbeing centre etc, unless you tell them that you have no interest, then they will probably let u go. Once you “surrender” your student card, then don’t have to go for lessons anymore. If you have to withdraw, please withdraw before 2nd week, otherwise have to pay school fees and 1 sem of TG consumed.

Last edited:

rainbowdoodles

Reaction score
Took around 2 weeks for me to receive the official withdrawal letter last year, but process quite tedious cause they will refer u to student wellbeing centre etc, unless you tell them that you have no interest, then they will probably let u go. Once you “surrender” your student card, then don’t have to go for lessons anymore. If you have to withdraw, please withdraw before 2nd week, otherwise have to pay school fees and 1 sem of TG consumed.
Hi! May I know if you tried to reapply to any universities after withdrawing?

YanYing01

Reaction score
Your tuition grant have been consumed in the first year.

Hi all , i need some help in regards to Tuition grant.

I was a student enrolled in NTU from 2016 to 2017 but was on leave of absence throughout the whole year. I withdrew from NTU in Aug 2017. During this period , i did not have to pay any tuition fees. May i ask if my tuition grant is still the same or has been consumed ? Thank you

previousntustudent

Reaction score
Hi all , i need some help in regards to Tuition grant.

I was a student enrolled in NTU from 2016 to 2017 but was on leave of absence throughout the whole year. I withdrew from NTU in Aug 2017. During this period , i did not have to pay any tuition fees. May i ask if my tuition grant is still the same or has been consumed ? Thank you
Hi i know this is kind of late but just discovered this thread, i was also enrolled in 2016 and took sem LOA all the way from 2017 till 2018 then withdrawn from ntu, consumed 2sems of tuition grants. just wanna check with you, are u currently in a new course alrdy or reapplying this yr?

havealaughclown

Reaction score
It may not be a common practice but it is alright - there are times that it happens due to different factors in life.

Mooncow

Reaction score
Hello freshies who are viewing this thread, don’t worry too much as you still can apply to Uni the following year. Cheers!

pinkydingy

Reaction score
hi, i need help for my query. i dropped out of uni, was wondering if i can re-apply to the same uni with the same course? or the school would just immediately reject me?

Mooncow

Reaction score
hi, i need help for my query. i dropped out of uni, was wondering if i can re-apply to the same uni with the same course? or the school would just immediately reject me?

Hello, it will be best to e-mail the school to find out what are their readmission procedures

previousnusstudent

Reaction score
Hello freshies who are viewing this thread, don’t worry too much as you still can apply to Uni the following year. Cheers!

Hey, so did you eventually decide to withdraw in sem 1? If you did, were you successful in getting a place in your desired uni/course after you withdrew and applied as a fresh applicant?

Last edited:

previousnusstudent

Reaction score
Does anyone else have similar experience to share?

Personally I spent one semester in NUS before withdrawing in semester 1 and am deciding to apply to SMU Info Sys for this year's intake.

Mooncow

Reaction score
Hey, so did you eventually decide to withdraw in sem 1? If you did, were you successful in getting a place in your desired uni/course after you withdrew and applied as a fresh applicant?

Yes and yes. They treated me like a normal applicant, easy process

UndertakerSons

Reaction score

Hi, Im new here and hopefully you’re still active. Just wanna check, did you end up paying the full unsubsidized tuition fee? Was the application process any different when applying as someone who has withdrew from a university before? And were from poly or jc? If poly what was your GPA? Sorry if Im asking too much! Thank you in advanced!

patootie

Reaction score
Hi there! May I ask if I applied to NUS and NTU last year but I accepted NUS and I am now wanting to withdraw from NUS, will my chances of applying to NTU be affected considering that I 'rejected' NTU last year? Also, would they consider my results from NUS or would they just look at my A levels? Thank u so much in advance!

benyyy

Reaction score
Hi there! May I ask if I applied to NUS and NTU last year but I accepted NUS and I am now wanting to withdraw from NUS, will my chances of applying to NTU be affected considering that I 'rejected' NTU last year? Also, would they consider my results from NUS or would they just look at my A levels? Thank u so much in advance!

no, i don’t think so

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.