Canon S110 - lens retraction error

mocha24

Reaction score
Hi, I have a one year plus Canon Powershot S110 which I bought for $500+. The lens suddenly cannot retract after I took a picture recently. I've never mishandle the camera nor drop it before. The camera was lightly used and still in very good condition. I sent the camera to Canon for repair, and was given a quotation of $195.81. I felt that this could be a manufacturing defect and wrote to Canon which Canon denied. They insisted that they only had issues with its predecessor Powershot S100 before but have since rectified this issue prior to rolling out subsequent Powershot series, so S110 should not have carried this issue.

I wish to check if anyone who owns S110 also encounter the lens error issue and how was it resolved by Canon, especially after the warranty had expired? Also, is there any association or other avenues which I could seek redress as I seriously felt that my camera has manufacturing defect which Canon should take responsibility. I welcome all feedback, suggestions and comments. Many thanks.

dricas_007

Reaction score
Hi, I have a one year plus Canon Powershot S110 which I bought for $500+. The lens suddenly cannot retract after I took a picture recently. I've never mishandle the camera nor drop it before. The camera was lightly used and still in very good condition. I sent the camera to Canon for repair, and was given a quotation of $195.81. I felt that this could be a manufacturing defect and wrote to Canon which Canon denied. They insisted that they only had issues with its predecessor Powershot S100 before but have since rectified this issue prior to rolling out subsequent Powershot series, so S110 should not have carried this issue.

I wish to check if anyone who owns S110 also encounter the lens error issue and how was it resolved by Canon, especially after the warranty had expired? Also, is there any association or other avenues which I could seek redress as I seriously felt that my camera has manufacturing defect which Canon should take responsibility. I welcome all feedback, suggestions and comments. Many thanks.

It's common to see this fault which may have happen to all models not just Canon Powershot S110.

No matter u go bang table and make so much noise at customer service...i tell u...just move on and buy a new camera...dun waste time when the warranty has expired...useless one=:p

mocha24

Reaction score
It's so unfair. The price they charge are so high, but the quality we get is so lousy

Nomorecanon

Reaction score
I recently also have the same problem (lens retraction error) for S110. After doing my research, S100 and S110 are essentially the same, except for the wifi ability. The lens are the same! Canon quoted my $187 for repair and services. I am so disappointed with Canon.

trd2970

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U can try trading in for a new S120 or G9x
Canon gives quite a generous discount for trade-in of damaged Canon gear

I recently also have the same problem (lens retraction error) for S110. After doing my research, S100 and S110 are essentially the same, except for the wifi ability. The lens are the same! Canon quoted my $187 for repair and services. I am so disappointed with Canon.

win_man

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i changed the lens unit by purchasing one from eBay... initially it worked well.. but same problem came back again. The lens unit only cost S$30+ but have the same problem as the original (can you believe it!)

I decided not to assemble back, put all the parts into a plastic bag and throw it in my cupboard.

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see....I was thinking of getting a S100 2nd hand....mainly to bring travel n handle low light pictures.
Im using this cheap olympus x960....but i was looking at images on my pc today.....i find the images taken using my super old nikon 4100 is even better than the olympus camera....haiz.

Sent from Asus ME173X using GAGT

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Didnt realise this thread still alive....
Just an update....I finally bought a 2nd hand s100 via carousell.
I tested for 3 months....working well.
So bought along for my china trip.
Work well for 1st 4 days....then suddenly got this lens error problem. I didnt drop the cam or anything. Didnt even use in rain. N my camera doesnt fall into the faulty lens error batch.
I have to resort to using my hp to capture the sceneries.
But still pales if compare to s100.

Came back n make a visit to canon service center.
Even though my camera doesnt fall inside the faulty lens error batch. Canon was gracious enough to repair for me FOC.

Sent from Asus ME173X using GAGT

Www.Easitech.sg

Reaction score
Our Canon S110 also had lens error. We also never dropped or mis-handle it.The error happen right after we took a shot. :( Bad camera! Canon

Steyr69

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Our Canon S110 also had lens error. We also never dropped or mis-handle it.The error happen right after we took a shot. :( Bad camera! Canon

This is definitely a mfg defect.
You can try your luck to make a visit to Canon service center to get it fixed.
One North MRT.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.