FAQ: Purchasing a DSLR System

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words, glad you folks have benefitted somehow/someway from reading this humble FAQ.

If you find there can be improvements, or a need to expand/add more on a section, let me know, I'll try to share more where possible.

beastleo

Reaction score
Iwould like to post a question as I will be getting my 2nd hand Nikon D70s.
Sling bag as you said should get but there are so many types of bags for cameras which can you recommend on buget wise.
Issit a must to get a dry cabinet?

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can try the LowePro 180EX. It's sufficient for a flash, body with lens mounted and some other stuff. Don't scrimpt on bags. Bags comes with paddings and it can greatly affect how the equipment will turn out when dropped.

As for dry cabinet. Yes. Get one. Even in the long run you don't want to go into photography, you can still use it to store your wife/gf's LV bags :p

firdie

Reaction score
Hey bro ,what are the basic stuff we need to get immediately atfer getting the dslr eg filter ,dry box bla bla...Pls include the prices i'd need to fork out and what are some 2nd hand cams i should get for starting dslrING ..

blue_quartz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You definitely need a dry box to keep it in the long run. Filters are only useful to protect your lens in case of that improbable, accidental whack in front which will damage the glass pieces without it. Even a tripod is not required immediately if you are chionging street photography.

Prices is really up to you lah... now below S$1k got some pretty good starter models liao. Most importantly is to have a feel of them and see if you like the handling or not. It's just like testing cars! No point telling you car X is fuel-efficient or has a great design if you don't like the feedback from the gearbox or pedals, for example.

firdie

Reaction score
Hi all ,I've narrowed down my options to a
nikon d40x-$730
canon 1000d-$999
nikon d60 -$830
sony a200-$880
all the prices are BN and all are entry level dslr ,EJB can u recommend me one that is the best price/qualitywise

I have tried them all out at roadshows but intend to buy at sitex ...

sin77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all ,I've narrowed down my options to a
nikon d40x-$730
canon 1000d-$999
nikon d60 -$830
sony a200-$880
all the prices are BN and all are entry level dslr ,EJB can u recommend me one that is the best price/qualitywise

I have tried them all out at roadshows but intend to buy at sitex ...

u interested in 2nd hand D60?

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
can you make a faq for things to check in buying a 2nd hand dslr?
Generally, speaking, follow the guidelines in the part 2 of this FAQ will be fine. The same school of rules applies.

Cheesypoofs

Master Member
Reaction score
I realised in this FAQ there is not mention of additional flash system. I think that is quite essential, no? Especially when you need to take portraits?

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I realised in this FAQ there is not mention of additional flash system. I think that is quite essential, no? Especially when you need to take portraits?
That's photography, nothing to really do with purchasing a system.

HiStOrY MaKeR

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey bro ,what are the basic stuff we need to get immediately atfer getting the dslr eg filter ,dry box bla bla...Pls include the prices i'd need to fork out and what are some 2nd hand cams i should get for starting dslrING ..

Recently purchased a Canon 500D, filter - S$20, dry box - S$25, screen protector (protects screen and the outline - customized by Leslie, John 3:16) - S$20.

=)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.